Sponsored by:

Tired engine bay 1978 Daimler Double Six

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tired engine bay 1978 Daimler Double Six

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and this my first 'serious' post
i have just purchased ( yet to arrive) Series II V12. The car is probably what would be referred to as a true 'barn find', not having run for two decades. I am assured it does ( or did) run before entering it's long slumber, The veracity of this claim will be determined shortly.
Let me state at the outset that I have no illusions as to the complexity of these vehicles and potential minefield of problems I may face. That said, the car looks in excellent original condition with a straight, rust free body with attractive metallic silver paint and a very presentable interior trimmed in red leather with only a slight patina of wear on the drivers cushion. The hood lining has sagged. I will know a lot more about the car within a day or so of it's arrival. I will keep the forum posted.

Preliminaries out of the way, now to the 'guts' of the post.
The dirtiest and shabbiest part of the car is the engine bay. The maze of fuel rails, pipes etc look very untidy with the steel pipes having lost their cadmium plating? and in some cases covered with a very light rust. The cam covers are heavily tarnished and the black paint flaking off. Unfortunately it looks as if a rat or perhaps an entire community of rodents have taken up residence in and around the engine at some stage. I can only hope they haven't done some real damage. Urine is probably responsible for the worst of the cosmetic damage.
i guess I will have to methodically work down through the strata of plumbing and wiring towards the engine 'proper', removing items, cleaning and refurbishing. Rather daunting with zero experience of these engines.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make the pipework look respectable ( re-plate, paint, polish etc?)?
How best to restore the cam covers? The air cleaner boxes are very flaking. The viscous fan discoloured and the radiator components and tank look as if they are off a Fordson tractor.
Any suggestions or tips as to how to tackle this job and particular processes that will bring the engine bay back to it's former glory would be appreciated.

thanks and hello to all

Al

Old 01-24-2018, 03:28 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Alan,

One task at a time and it will get done. I would soda blast the cam covers and then repaint. The fuel rails will need to be stripped of the rust and re-plated. Some components may simply need to be replaced with new.

The following users liked this post:
Alan Lindsay (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

you can work up to this , people like to look and ask questions.

Attached Thumbnails Tired engine bay 1978 Daimler Double Six-jag-strut-brace-mom-ridin-shot-gun-v12-exhuast-mani-001.jpg  
Alan Lindsay (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:28 PM

Hmmmmm, very impressive,
what do we know about getting parts replated?
has anyone played around with a 'do it yourself kit?
obviously re-chroming is an expensive labour intensive process but I imagine cadmium or other metals not polished to a mirror shine should be cheaper.
oops, I've used that word 'cheaper' never to appear anywhere near the word v12

Regards
Al

Old 01-25-2018, 04:53 AM
Received 259 Likes on 120 Posts

Alan, I cannot advise re the V12, but I have done an XJ6 many years ago. If the car were mine, I would commence by making the engine sure the engine runs. This should be done regardless of the condition of pipework etc.
Once satisfied the engine runs well, then take numerous photos at all angles. Then start dismantling, taking photos as you go. When you are down to the bare engine block you can determine whether you want to remove it or not.
Then start cleaning/painting/plating and renewing (all rubber parts especially). The final touches should be items like powder coating the cam covers, etc. The air cleaner housings can be easily re-sprayed by an amateur to reproduce the factory look - I have done it and it is not hard. Stickers can be obtained from the U.K.

Would like to see some pictures!

Alan Lindsay (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

It has been a while since I 'created" a really nice looking engine. Paint is the next basic place to start. The primary is cleanliness. Making sure the engine is healthy enough to run is important. But, I've done it backwards at times !

Alloy polishes nicely. Gun blue looks interesting on steel bits. The brass top or side tanks of the radiator polish nicely.

Carl

Old 01-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

They sell look-a-like cadmium kits that consist of three colors of spray paint if you are really after that. Many people will just clean the metal down to a consistent finish and then apply a clear coat.

Nearly anything else that should be black, just make sure you buy a decent gloss level for an engine bay. Many are satin or semi-gloss black. Regular High gloss black or a flat black will both immediately catch the eye and look wrong.

Replacing all coolant, air, fuel, and vacuum hoses will clean up the engine bay a lot as well. Try to use the proper hose clamps, possibly cleaning and re-using the originals because this is another thing that you sort of subconsciously notice and the details can really add up.

Other little details like new decals for the cam covers or the warning decal for the fan can really clean things up as well.

First thing is to clean everything off with some engine degreaser like gunk. I usually buy a few cans of the regular stuff and then at least one can of the gel for heavy build-up spots. After you get off initial grime (assuming there is some) then you will be left with the more grimey spots that need extra cleaner and a brush.

Sometimes if something that was originally plated can't be cleaned to a good bare metal finish it still looks better to paint it semi-gloss engine bay black than to leave it rusty/dirty.

Avoid the gunk style spray on "engine shine" products. They are a bit like tire shine and leave a greasy unnatural finish than just gives something for dirt to stick to.

Be sure to rough up surfaces and uses appropriately rated high temp paint in areas where its necessary.

Alan Lindsay (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 05:44 PM

Thanks all for advise,
i am a little reluctant to hit engine with high pressure cleaner for fear of causing electrical problems.
i like the idea of clear lacquer onto shined pipework and the use of gun blue.
i have used cold gun blue solutions before with mixed results but on small components it may be fine.
i have visited the website of Cadwell plating ( they make do it yourself plating kits). There are many options and finishes available. Any advise on this subject greatly appreciated.
just invested in parts book, workshop manual etc
al