XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Transmission installed

Well I got the transmission rebuilt and installed. I took lots of pictures with the intentions of posting them here with the directions so others can use. One problem I forsee with this is, there are so many pictures that the thread would be 100 pages long and most would loose interest. the other is that I only took pictures of the dismantling of everything, since the assembly is just opposite.
guidance would be really appreciated.
On a second note. the rebuild was a success it works freakin great. I have a delimna though. there is a sorta grinding noise coming from the motor to tranny area. sorta high pitched, like the starter casing is dragging on the flywheel. I put a stethiscope on it and it seems that its coming from back of motor. Oh I should mention that it doesn't make the noise at idle, only in gear and moving. hit the brakes and the noise stops. totally confusing me.
I did notice that the cat to manifold is cracked and leaking so it might be posible that its valve chatter coming from the leak, but i don't have strong feelings about it. doesn't seem like a deep enough noise to be a connecting rod. there is a lot of valve clatter but i checked the clearances and they are within specs. I remember something about a valve something issue that should be done on these, but can't remember what it is. I don't want the valves to damage the motor, so can someone please tell me what the situation is about the valves and what are the symptoms.
There is alot of questions here, I would appreciate any info on any of these subjects please.
BTW. Is it possible that the two times that line up the tranny to torque converter could not be lined up and it is putting pressure on the crankshaft? I lined it up best I could and kept moving torque converter as I slid the tranny on, but still had to use the bolts to pull it together the last 1/4 inch. on other cars i've done if they werent lined up there was no way you could force it together without breaking the bellhousing(I did that once long ago). Not sure if jag is different or not though.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:44 AM

I'm going to go out now and disconnect the torque converter from the flywheel and see if there is play between the two. That should clear up my thought about pressure on the crank.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by amaezing
BTW. Is it possible that the two times that line up the tranny to torque converter

"Two times" ?

could not be lined up and it is putting pressure on the crankshaft? I lined it up best I could and kept moving torque converter as I slid the tranny on, but still had to use the bolts to pull it together the last 1/4 inch. on other cars i've done if they werent lined up there was no way you could force it together without breaking the bellhousing(I did that once long ago). Not sure if jag is different or not though.

Are you thinking that the torque converter was not fully engaged/seated onto the shaft? That's always possible....but I can't image that the transmission would work 'great' as you describe.

When you went to bolt the torque converter to the flywheel was there a small gap between the two? Maybe 1/16" or 1/8"? There should be. If the t/converter was hard pressed against the flywheel....then something isn't right.

On rare occasions you hear about a t/converter 'ballooning'....where it actually swells outward and ultimately causes crankshaft damage.

Having to pull the engine and trans together might've just been a very slight misalignment of the two....preventing the trans from sliding cleanly onto the locating dowels

Cheers
DD

Old 07-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by amaezing
I'm going to go out now and disconnect the torque converter from the flywheel and see if there is play between the two. That should clear up my thought about pressure on the crank.

Right!

Cheers
DD

Old 07-17-2015, 09:21 AM

Tines. And yea, I don't think that the alignment is the problem since it works great like I said, but it is easy to check. The ballooning I haven't heard of before.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Right!

Cheers
DD
That wasn't it, but as I was putting the bolts in the inspection plate, that was the sound I was hearing as the wrench tapped the bellhousing. So i looked up with a flashlight and I'm almost positive that the starter housing is rubbing on the flywheel. doesn't make sense though, there is no play in the bolts and it has that plate on it that aligns the starter up. can the plate be flipped around? I don't think that would make a difference though.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 PM

Maybe it's just a stupid U-Joint. Having bad hearing sucks. My depth persepsion is so off, I can't really pinpoint where it's coming from.
Anyone have any ideas on how I should post the rebuild pictures and step by steps?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

when mine had a clatter in that area it was the flex plate rivets, i spent forever chasing it down, replaced trans mounts, u joints, carrier bearing, etc, all to no avail, got a solid type flexplate from David Boger and problem solved!
Good luck

The following users liked this post:
davidboger (07-21-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
when mine had a clatter in that area it was the flex plate rivets, i spent forever chasing it down, replaced trans mounts, u joints, carrier bearing, etc, all to no avail, got a solid type flexplate from David Boger and problem solved!
Good luck
Damn. I hope not. Have a friend with good hearing going to ride with me. Hopefully he can help me pinpoint the noise.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

i googled flex plate chatter jaguar xj6 and apparently its a common problem, some people had success staking the rivets, i however did not!

Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 AM

I got it figured out, with my good ear friends help. he actually hung out of the jag to pinpoint it.
End up being the shield that covers the driveline. When I removed it, I had put a little persuasion to it and bent it just enough that it was rubbing the driveline.
Glad to have my jag back. The rebuild was a complete success, even without instructions. These transmissions are very easy to work on, they just take a while to remove and install.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup. great news. Merely tin to adjust, not mechanical guts!! Kudos on a tough job done well.

And, that's what friends do, they help when needed.

My ears are not good either. No high range in left ear. Nothing in the right one.

I do have a pair of good aids. I am n o longer purty, so the over the ear units are fine. The one for the right is unique, it senses sound to my right and transmits it wireless to the left unit. Not quite like nature's stereo, but close.

In my start adventure, I called on my neighbor to listen the latest change for awful noises. His eyes not so good, but ears fine. Reported all sounds normal.
Yahoo, it cranks and runs just fine. A bit of electrics remain to do,

Agree, a great feeling.

Carl

Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 AM

A great feeling indeed. I hope that there is a way I can help someone else rebuild their trans. some time.