XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting all column controls.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Troubleshooting all column controls.

Hey guys, I been trying to repair some of the more nessicary functions of my series 3 xj6. I have no turn signals, when I push the hazard switch the indicator comes on but nothing else happens, and my last problem is my windshield wipers. I can't seem to make the motor run on them but my washer will spray the windshield. Any help would be appreciated

Evan

Old 01-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

do you mean when you flip the switch UP or Down? (in the Series 3 XJ, there is no "push" switch for the Hazard Flashers).

To start troubleshooting, remove the upper and lower "nacelles" also known as the "Upper Steering Column Black Plastic Covers".

1) if no turn signals or emergency flashers, chances are the Turn Signals Relay is bad, call David at Everyday XJ and tell him to send you a good used one. Substituting the relay is the first troubleshooting step. Also check all your fuses on the Driver's Side Fuse Box, one by one. Also check all your exterior Bulbs, one by one.

2) the wiper switch wears out, OR sometimes, the black ground wire causes it to stop; Look at the back of the switch, where the wires come into it, and wiggle the wires with the ignition switch ON and the wiper switch ON, see if anything happens.

The following users liked this post:
Mr.Hotrod (01-13-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 10:32 PM

Ok, now the plot thickens. Flip the hazard switch up and you get nothing, then flip the turn signals and they function correctly, for a second, then they qui . Perhaps they are wired incorrectly? The previous owner had a tendency to cobble things together and make them worse.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

the emergency flashers or "hazard" switch is known to be a...hazard...if you will.

if you think the hazard switch is working correctly, i.e, it is not "broken", then you will still need to remove the upper and lower nacelles to check the hazard switch wiring, which is known to be a problem.

if you are ready to check the wires and the switch, here is the correct wiring:

NOTE:
the Hazard switch has raised numbers in the rear, next to each contact, you might need a magnifying glass, but they are there.

*the First Color is the Solid, the Second is a Stripe or Dash.

Connector #1-Light Green+Blue wire
Connector #2- Light Green+White wire
Connector #3- Light Green+Red wire
Connector #4- Light Green+Green wire
Connector #5- None
Connector #6- Light Green+Pink wire
Connector #7- Green wire
Connector #8- Brown+Orange wire

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
Jimmysea (01-13-2015), Mr.Hotrod (01-13-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 AM

I believe after some searching that I have a wire crossed on the hazard/turn signal wiring. I pulled the nacelles as you said and will have to pull the switch to check that all the wires are in the correct spots. Although messing with the ground on the wiper side had no effect on function. Where else could I look for trouble? Is the wiper motor on the series 3 known to fail?

Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

the wiper motor has a reputation for being too slow, but not for failing. Although I am not saying they don't fail. You could wiggle the wiring connector at the motor itself to see if there is any response when you wiggle it.

the hazard switch is screwed in place with two tiny phillips screws, make sure you use the right size screwdriver to not damage their heads or lose them. Then you can check the wires are correctly connected. you might have to remove the black flip cover from the switch to get to the screws, careful, it breaks easily.

again, the problem could be the flasher relay. Substitution is the only way to confirm.

another place to check the wiring plug is the Intermittent Wiper Relay; That one is located in the passenger side, a blue relay held in place by one black "triangle shaped" bracket and one phillips screw which can be seen looking up from the floor under the dash.

Attached Thumbnails Troubleshooting all column controls.-xj-6-turn-hazard-relay.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 01-13-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wiper issues.

Jose, apparently you are an expert with this type of problem.
How about this:
Recon wiper motor, new column switch, new delay relay.
Wipers only work on high speed switch position, at low speed though.
Also, do not work at all if the flasher relay is disconnected.
Ideas?

Last edited by Jimmysea; 01-13-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not an expert Jimmy, I'm neither a Technician, but a trial-and-error-nician. I've owned my 1984 XJ-6 since 1989, so I have the "been-there-done-that" experience.

the turn signals stalk arm/switch and the wipers stalk arm/switch share a common Ground, a black wire that runs from one switch to the other over the steering column.

again, you need to remove the "nacelles" (upper and lower steering column black plastic covers), to see this black Ground wire and to make sure it is connected or not pinched by the covers.

but if the Ground wire is correctly connected, it puzzles me that disconnecting the Flasher Relay would disable the Wipers switch. That makes me suspicious of the Wipers Switch itself.

do the wipers PARK correctly ? (where they should ?)

Old 01-13-2015, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers etc

Jose.
Wipers do not park at all.
I'll look at that ground wire...and thanks.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

I'm afraid that sometimes substitution is the fastest way to troubleshoot. I keep a spare wiper motor, stalk switches, you name it.

try this: engine running, transmission in PARK; wiper switch ON to FAST;

go to wiper motor near Battery; give a little pull/push to each wire connecting to the wiper motor, and to entire wire harness. Any movement / response from the wipers? yes? no?
if yes, you have a wiring-to-motor issue there. Could be the motor's Parking switch which is a whiteish plastic casing with contacts built into the motor itself. Trying to fix it rarely works, time to get a used replacement motor.

Back to the Wipers Switch:

click to open the attached PDF file to see a repair of the wipers switch and/or to learn what goes on with the wipers switch. (repair starts on Page 11).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jag_News_8_061[1].pdf (1.64 MB, 544 views)

Last edited by Jose; 01-13-2015 at 06:49 PM.