XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of Series 2 XJ6 with Chevy Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Value of Series 2 XJ6 with Chevy Conversion?

Curious what you all think a series 2 XJ6 with a Chevy Conversion is worth. Nothing crazy, solid shape, runs well and around 100k miles?

Old 05-31-2017, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Really depends on condition and how well the conversion is done. But generally speaking 2 to 6 thousand. Sadly most conversions that are offered for sale are not well done.

I've seen many well done converted sedans and have not yet seen one I admired offered for sale. I understand this phenomenon as I have a well done conversion and there is no sense in selling it since the cost to do one well far exceeds the market value... and it's done to my tastes. The intrinsic value is another matter. The market values originality more than performance, handling, drivability, reliability and low running costs.

There was a really well done LT1 converted XJ6c that sold on ebay for 15k. That was encouraging...but it's a more rare coupe. I'm not surprised as the LT1 offers the best bang for the buck, its highly reliable and allows easy and low cost repairs.

I have seen a few conversions that are out right dangerous in my opinion. I saw one with a mish mosh of steering components at odd angles that were needed to go around a set of big block exhaust manifolds. Many converts have the fuel pump inertia switch bypassed or have other unfinished electrical issues. These "minor" things are often overlooked as part of the big picture and can represent an opportunity for a prospective buyer. The buyer really needs to know what they are buying and how to ensure it's safe.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 AM

Thanks for that. Very valid points. I ask because there is one available locally that I think could be a decent buy and I imagine I could grab it for under 2k. Potentially to flip but I could also swap some parts I need for mine. I'll likely check it out anyways. It's had roughly 35k miles put on it since the conversion, so I'd think it was sorted.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, Iso laid it out well. My guess would be a range of 3K to 10K. LnrB's NIX setting a top. Top car, top price. I recall a local offered at 3k. Decent, but not close to top.

The LT1 install in my car is fairly well done. The engine and transmission are sound. It is quite reliable. Looks good, except for a scar on the driver door. A ramp misadventure. Cruise and AC not functional. Interior "fair to good". I'd rate it at 5K.
Best feature is the LT1 and 4l60E. A super match.

Is t for sale. NO!!!

Carl

Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 AM

True. I assumed less value than a original Jag engine car in similar condition.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Chipster55
True. I assumed less value than a original Jag engine car in similar condition.
Not in California unless it's a V12 in *Excellent* working order with a Near Perfect body.

XK engines have a reputation comparable to dog waste in California. They were converted to Chevys about as fast as conversion shops could churn them out back in the day, so much so that it's rare to find an XK still running except for a club affiliated car.

Even now, when strangers see my car, their fist question, "Is it a V12?" when hearing no, "Does it still have the other Jag engine?" and when I lift the hood, nearly every one of them says something like,"Ah! I see you took care of the most troublesome part already!"
(';')

Old 05-31-2017, 04:46 PM

Well I'm going to take a look at it. I don't need it and don't have the room for it buttttttttt
Who knows.

Along with eBay, my gf will have to find a way to parental block me from Craigslist viewing soon lol.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Not in California unless it's a V12 in *Excellent* working order with a Near Perfect body.

XK engines have a reputation comparable to dog waste in California. They were converted to Chevys about as fast as conversion shops could churn them out back in the day, so much so that it's rare to find an XK still running except for a club affiliated car.

Even now, when strangers see my car, their fist question, "Is it a V12?" when hearing no, "Does it still have the other Jag engine?" and when I lift the hood, nearly every one of them says something like,"Ah! I see you took care of the most troublesome part already!"
(';')
Admiring the passion there, Elinor! I know you've expressed this view in the past, and each time I'm further intrigued. I wonder if Jaguar fitted XK line rejects to U.S. bound exports - maybe that's why they earned such a miserable reputation over there? Is the disaffection for the XK principally a California thing (as opposed to anywhere else)? Is it too difficult to make the XK compliant with state emission rules?

I appreciate that many devotees of Chevy V8's fail to understand why other power units need to exist, and I have nothing against them, but the amount of (let's call it) *debris* piled upon the XK seriously stuns me at times! A well sorted XK is a beautiful thing, the only way to separate folklore from experience is to live with one.

The following 3 users liked this post by jagent:
Daf11e (05-31-2017), LnrB (05-31-2017), o1xjr (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Originally Posted by jagent
Admiring the passion there, Elinor! I know you've expressed this view in the past, and each time I'm further intrigued. I wonder if Jaguar fitted XK line rejects to U.S. bound exports - maybe that's why they earned such a miserable reputation over there? Is the disaffection for the XK principally a California thing (as opposed to anywhere else)? Is it too difficult to make the XK compliant with state emission rules?

I appreciate that many devotees of Chevy V8's fail to understand why other power units need to exist, and I have nothing against them, but the amount of (let's call it) *debris* piled upon the XK seriously stuns me at times! A well sorted XK is a beautiful thing, the only way to separate folklore from experience is to live with one.
I also don't necessarily disagree with V8 conversions however my SURVIVOR after 43years is a thing of beauty.

The following users liked this post:
jagent (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

I do get carried away sometimes I admit. Sorry.
I've come to believe, from what I've heard over the last couple years, that part of the problem with the XK engine is American snobbery; Mercan mechanics didn't understand Any British engines and refused to work on most of them, but Jags sold so many for a time that Mercan shops and dealerships were flooded with cars they couldn't make run properly so they must be junk (this reputation remains alive and well these 30-40 years on). Customer reactions ranged from dissatisfied to downright irate!

Solution, yank that troublesome "boat anchor" and instal a tried and true Mercan 350 Chevy V8 of which there are Jillions. Customers happy, problems solved. And best of all, Everyone on this side of the pond understands Chevys.

Although I grew up in a Chevy family (almost religious fervor), once I got away from home I discovered engines from other manufacturers were superior in many ways. My favorite actually was a Chrysler 440 that I drove the wheels off of, that never missed a lick all the time I had it. When I stuck my foot through the firewall and opened the 4s, the sound of raw power was nothing short of Awesome! It still gives me chills just thinking about it. (I got a Lot of flack from family for that car let me just tell you!) My work truck is an old Dodge with a 360 and I can't imagine anything else under the hood.

Another part of the "problem" with the XK in Merca was the fact it was a 6-banger; an old lady's (of either gender) car, sort of a slug for those miserly souls who lived for gas economy which it didn't give. Where I grew up, a straight 6 was a tractor engine. V6, an Entirely different animal properly tuned, and some of the current 4s are just plain a lot of fun.

However, as Nix came to me with a 350 already set in place, and I already fell in love with her as she is, she'll get another 350 when I wear this one out. I can't imagine her with anything else.

Originally Posted by Daf11e
I also don't necessarily disagree with V8 conversions however my SURVIVOR after 43years is a thing of beauty.
Good onya, Jim!
(';')

The following 4 users liked this post by LnrB:
bill70j (06-01-2017), Daf11e (06-01-2017), jagent (06-01-2017), Roger Mabry (06-02-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Those early Jag sixes had a problem with occasional cracks in the heads over time. I just got a copy of the Brooklands books for the series three XJ6 and XJ12. None of the articles, including Car and Driver, reported any real problems with the XK motor itself. Problems with electrics, accessories -sure. But the motor was considered pretty "bullet proof," same with the twelves. Part of the problem is that sixes were always considered to be a "consolation prize" during the late 50's and through the muscle car era. The addition of fuel injection restored about twenty hp that had been lost to emission controls.

Nowadays there are so many old XJ6s out there selling for peanuts that it shouldn't be too hard or expensive to keep your car all Jag if you want. I personally don't get the whole appeal of trying to get your XJ to be a tire smoking monster by sticking in a Chevy or other V8. Check out the video of "The smoking tire" with an XJ8 with an LS1. It is pretty impressive, but for me if I want a faster Jag I would just get an XJR or XKR. I particularly like the classic straight six motor. I'm looking for an early Jag with the classic smooth alloy cam covers and dual or triple carbs. When I look under the hood I want to be reminded of Jaguar's glorious days at Le Mans in the 1950s. Of course, we are all entitled to our preferences.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rivguy:
avern1 (06-01-2017), jagent (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 01:24 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Daf11e
+1, mine was smooth before the new engine.

A well sorted XK is a beautiful thing, the only way to separate folklore from experience is to live with one.
Have to agree Tony, 15 months on I'm still loving it.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
Daf11e (06-02-2017), jagent (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I think that the XK engine is pretty intolerant of poor maintenance. We have had a few go through the club that people bought "cheap" and they ended up anything but. I would be looking for well loved example of I wanted a Jag powered XJ.

Overlay that with thin on the ground expertise in the US, not invented here syndrome and the presence of millions of cheap, powerful, reliable engines everyone has parts for and is familiar with and the decision sort of makes itself.

LnrB (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LnrB
I do get carried away sometimes I admit. Sorry....

.....My favorite actually was a Chrysler 440 that I drove the wheels off of, that never missed a lick all the time I had it. When I stuck my foot through the firewall and opened the 4s, the sound of raw power was nothing short of Awesome! It still gives me chills just thinking about it. (I got a Lot of flack from family for that car let me just tell you!) My work truck is an old Dodge with a 360 and I can't imagine anything else under the hood.

Another part of the "problem" with the XK in Merca was the fact it was a 6-banger; an old lady's (of either gender) car, sort of a slug for those miserly souls who lived for gas economy which it didn't give. Where I grew up, a straight 6 was a tractor engine. V6, an Entirely different animal properly tuned, and some of the current 4s are just plain a lot of fun......

(';')
1. No apology sought or required Elinor! I was merely chucking a bit of passion right back at ya'
Of course, everyone's opinion is valid as indeed they should be, mine is just a different one. Yeah, OK I admit it, I was defending the honour of my beloved XK...

2. I was being intentionally a little facetious about Chevy V8's, can't fault them per se, they're good in Chevy's. Good in Jag's too if that's your thing, or if inherited. BUT, many of us do admire other great lumps including (IMO) the superior and super-smooth Chrysler slant 6's, and V8's.

3. Straight 6's in general? Well, very many good engines produced in that format. Here in AU, Ford never went down the V6 track, they stuck with their bullet-proof straight 6 pots and V8's, the former still being one of the most popular engines on our roads and arguably more reliable than the rival GM V6

Now I must apologise for leading us further off topic!

Last edited by jagent; 06-01-2017 at 02:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagent:
Daf11e (06-01-2017), LnrB (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:50 AM

All good feedback. Many times on my old Diablo, I would fantasize about having a nice American engine in there to avoid the maintenance but I do feel it a bit blasphemous with certain cars. If it was a very low mileage Jag, I would do my best to keep it all jag. Will try to do that with my gf's 74. This one I my check out this weekend, I'm not as concerned with.
After selling my Diablo and trying a Gallardo, I've realized I have little desire for newer exotics. They lack the "experience" and appeal to me, even though I'm 34. So I have my Gallardo for sale and once sold, I'll probably start collecting some classics.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

As for me, I like almost any IC engine. I've messed with more than a few.

The DOHC is visibly a beauty. But, as said, cluttered with weird adaptations for various reasons. The FI is interesting, but it looks like the after thought it is. Then plomp on emission stuff. The air pump being the worst offender.

And although a more than decent design, putting an alloy head on a car for use by the general public was just asking for it. Head gasket needed at just over 100,000 miles on many if not most. Poor pub, no question.

The cross flow head is air flow at it's best. Great for high RPM running. But, the 4.2 is
a long stroke engine. High RPM's not it's wheel house. That piston speed thing.
Why? CUZ tax was based on bore size???? And, the block just could not handle bigger buckets.

And, a bit away from topic is Jaguar's choice of the BW transmissions. Tough as nails
but, stragglers in development. The V12 cars did go to the TH400. OK, but, still a straggler! The cars screamed for a 4 speed OD box.

I liked my car a lot in it's DOHC days. Had it not failed, I would still have it. I mused, studied and researched long and hard before choosing the V8 route. MY son pushed me that way. At the time, he had a machine shop and featured performance engines.
His joke was Jaguar and VW engines not allowed on premises.

Given as fact, and it seems true, that the DOHC had it's genesis during the war years. So, an old design used far beyond it's competitive time. Competitive as to market comparison. Not cheap in the USA. But, I expect one could get a Caddy or Lincoln for the price.

Even the staid old Jeep I have relies on a straight 6. OHV. All iron, but of thin wall design. Just leaned it's auto is a 4speed with OD. The result of a joint venture of BW and Asian, a Japanese outfit!!! so far, so good.

The MOPAR slant six defied design as well. Only three mains. Yet very sturdy.
Way back Hot rodder, Tex Smith created an asymetrical 27 Ford Roadter boded car.
The laid over six was just right.

Carl

bill70j (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 AM

Speaking of this...there is a 75 xjc on bring a trailer with an LS1 currently at $25k with 5 days remaining. Very high quality build though.

Johnny Mayday (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Speaking of this...there is a 75 xjc on bring a trailer with an LS1 currently at $25k with 5 days remaining. Very high quality build though.
Wow, thats great to see. My coupe would out accelerate, out brake and out handle that car easily.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:33 PM
JagForums Town Crier
Received 154 Likes on 103 Posts

I wrote a post about this for the HP. Such a cool car! Bidding is at 26k now...

Last edited by Johnny Mayday; 06-03-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
I wrote a post about this for the HP. Such a cool car! Bidding is at 26k now...

Looks, great; very sanitary conversion. And the interior looks beautiful

Cheers
DD

Johnny Mayday (06-03-2017)