XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Wants To Be Seen Next To A Jaguar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts
Default Who Wants To Be Seen Next To A Jaguar?

We were in several different parking lots today, and I put Nix out of harm's way sort of off by herself like I usually do. Three times I returned to find a Brand X of some sort had almost gone out of their way to park next to her!

Other vehicles, a lifted Ford Excursion,

a 4x4 Dodge Tonner,

and a Toyota Tundra,

all kept a respectful distance.

Even the little Mazda stood aside.

Not so Merc and Bimmer!!

Nix and I were there first, but having the Whole Entire Lot to choose from, they parked near her!

I decided they just wanted to associate with quiet Dignity and understated Class.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Oh yeah, one of my pet frustrations, Elinor. It's one of the mysteries of the universe, that the car is such a powerful magnet it makes others want to huddle up next to it in car parks - and most often with a 4x4 truck/people mover. I decided long ago that a basic human insecurity compels the perpetrators to do this i.e. they can't be on their own, a host of spaces to choose from and yet they have to park right up next to you!

I'd also like to think they're in awe, and just want to be seen next to the obvious superiority of the Jag, but it's happened with every "treasured" car I've owned when I chose to park away from the crowd. Funny creatures, humans.

On another note, I spied a car in my rear view mirror at the weekend with registration NIX and 3 consecutive numbers (better not quote the numbers!). There you go, Nix is etched on our brains at all times!

The following 2 users liked this post by jagent:
Flint Ironstag (11-13-2015), LnrB (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 03:46 AM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Elinor nix is a black beauty they're just flirting!

LnrB (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

The BMW and the Merc obviously thought you were the start of the prestige car parking area.

The trucks where just looking for spare real estate. It must be easier to moor a cruise liner than park a full size American SUV. Jeez those things are big.

LnrB (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:41 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

That SUV is not so much parked as randomly dumped. What a numpty!!

Probably hoping that Nix would distract people from his poor parking and driving ability!

Reminds of the college bruiser trying to impress the cutest girl in the class.

LnrB (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:59 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I haven't got that problem at the moment. Fireball stuck in the garage all week with road work out front. Two cars on the drive and 3 on the lawn because no street parking for 3 weeks. Got to juggle 5 cars tomorrow though because we are headed for the Sunshine Coast for the weekend and taking the Jag and daughter needs her car closer to the road for work.
PITA when there is only one traffic lane during the day and got to park 200m up the road while swapping cars. No drama with people parking too close this week.

Makes it fun trying to sleep during the day with this beast breaking the road.

Who Wants To Be Seen Next To A Jaguar?-dsc_4566.jpgWho Wants To Be Seen Next To A Jaguar?-dsc_4595.jpgWho Wants To Be Seen Next To A Jaguar?-dsc_4596.jpg

LnrB (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 05:26 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts
Default Just watch out for this guy.

LnrB (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

that's not a Series 2 ???

LnrB (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Guys,
Tony:
There's an unwritten rule at one of the WalMarts in the area, a certain section has been unofficially "reserved" for parking cars, the owners of which don't want them dinged. In that part of the lot, we leave at least one empty space between our car and the nearest one. The great thing is, NO huge 4x4s park in there! It's like they KNOW they're "not allowed."

Sometimes there are some Really Cool cars parked there (besides Nix) and it's just fun to peruse the area.

Nix's plate actually starts with NX, half a space, then a string of numbers (not zeros!).

I'm kind of glad she's so memorable; her fame going international.

Jim:
LOL! Flirting, you say! I hadn't thought of that! I'll have to sternly warn her although at 40 she should be old enough to know!

Steve:
Yes, it's sometimes like they're afraid their behemoths are in danger of being scratched! Only a small percentage here have ever seen real work and they stand out like the proverbial sore thumb. As for the rest, the only dirt they've ever seen is in the factory windows.

They don't turn very sharp either! My work truck, for all its apparent size, actually has a surprisingly short turning radius. It sort of spoiled me for Nix, who doesn't turn very sharp at all!! In fact, a couple times I've got myself in a literal tight spot because I've underestimated her turning requirements, and I have to saw back and forth, making complete fools out of both of us!

anjum:
Yes, randomly dumped is a good description. And she IS the cutest car in the lot - Any lot!

Clarke:
You have my sympathy!
When I lived in town, just before I moved out here, the street in front of my house underwent complete reconstruction: Take up the old pavement, tear up all our driveways and property approaches, dig down 4 feet, trench even deeper for new sewer and water, fill with various aggregates compacting as they went (vibrators and tampers), create gutters and sidewalks, repave.

They spent all one Summer at that, however, they only worked from 7am to 5pm, the same hours the rest of us worked. I only worked 3 days/week, and the Noise the other 2 days was Incredible!

I hope your ordeal is brief.

Jose:
That's a failed Experimental Model.
(';')

jagent (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LNR: NIX is surely a real beauty. A definite invite to a flirt. And, why not???

You think at least some of those super lifts get dirty, but clean up after work or play???

True, I've noted my "long nosed" Jaguar turns wider than my
"shorter nosed" Jeep. So, in a tight in either, I just roll and twist. It works.

Clarke:

Is that a super "ROO BAR" Or for other purpose?

Carl

LnrB (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Carl,
I have seen a couple lifted 4x4s with mud up to the windows, but they've completely different vehicles. Mostly smallish Toyota Land Bruisers, old Jeep CJs, and a few other wreck-all-creation types, with knobby tires and light bars. I don't see dirty ones very often, mostly soon after a good rain. This leads me to believe they live in the Stix somewhere and have just mudded it to town.
(';')

Old 11-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Haha, nice thread! I get this often, although my Daim is far more banged up then Nix :P

I think its because people want to look at the horrid (yet amazing) English racing mustard paint colour haha.

As for big vehicles almost smashing ya jag: I had a bus force me through a VERY small gap at speed the other day. I almost lost my wing mirrors :O

LnrB (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Honda and a Nissan park beside my XJ tonight.
Maybe they were hoping some of the jag's special-ness would rub off on their bland-ness.
I was at least hoping that some of that brilliant Japanese reliability would rub off on my jag. Well that never happened because on the way home the highbeam switch decided to just stop working.

LnrB (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by switcharoo
....I was at least hoping that some of that brilliant Japanese reliability would rub off on my jag. Well that never happened because on the way home the highbeam switch decided to just stop working.
But then, happily, you have an '85 Jag! - I can't recall when I last saw an '85 Honda or Nissan on the road!

Old 11-14-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
But then, happily, you have an '85 Jag! - I can't recall when I last saw an '85 Honda or Nissan on the road!
Have you seen Any Honda or Nissan, or Toyota over 10 years old, Anywhere except the wrecking yard?!

And the last one you saw, did you say to yourself, "Aww; That's Gorgeous! Just Look at those lines!"
(';')

Old 11-14-2015, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
Have you seen Any Honda or Nissan, or Toyota over 10 years old, Anywhere except the wrecking yard?!

And the last one you saw, did you say to yourself, "Aww; That's Gorgeous! Just Look at those lines!"
(';')
My point exactly!

LnrB (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

so harsh, so very harsh

Old 11-14-2015, 11:59 PM
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

I do! I even blocked the driveway for a minute to take a photo of my oldie next the young blood :P
Notice the not quite closed bonnet, I took it off and haven't managed to get it to sit right yet haha

LnrB (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Harry Dredge
Notice the not quite closed bonnet, I took it off and haven't managed to get it to sit right yet haha
Harry, IME getting the locking pins to align with their respective catches is a nightmare! The pins are not intended to be adjustable so it might mean adjustment at the hinges?

Please let us know when you succeed and if you manage to get an even gap each side, it might be worthy of a separate thread...

Old 11-15-2015, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
...Please let us know when you succeed and if you manage to get an even gap each side, it might be worthy of a separate thread...
Um, I learned as a wee lass to scribe around the hinges BEFORE loosening the bolts holding them to the hood.

I did that when we took the hood off Nix. When it came time to put it back on, I got the hinges within the scribe lines...

...put it down gently a couple times sighting along the cracks and making adjustments as necessary, then held my breath, shoved hard on the grill, and *KLANK*! everything lined up *Perfectly* on the FIRST TRY!

I was insufferably pleased with myself I might add.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 11-15-2015 at 02:21 AM. Reason: dded pictures
jagent (11-15-2015)

Quick Reply: Who Wants To Be Seen Next To A Jaguar?