XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield seals

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield seals

i may not be posting this in correct area if i made a mistake feel free to move to correct location or delete and i'll post in the right spot(ok)

i've looked at windshield and back glass seals(we called the back glass a `backlight' 30 years ago) on eBay,all i see is NOS,now i could truly go off on a huge spiehl about`aftermarket'`reproduction' parts,but i'll spare everyone and get to the point>

are NOS seals still pliable`enough'?,meaning they would still be 30 years aprox. age and not knowing how well the OEM rubber aged even on a shelf?.i CAN do the glass work on this car myself but i'm soooo busy i have a man who did all the w/shields for a local wrecking yard at my disposal and intend to pass off some glass work so i can focus on,,well? Bondo of course! however i would at least like to help the vehicle owner procure the seals,any parts supplyers that sponsor here i'll gladly utilise dennis

Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

These items are still in production as far as I know so it's not likely that you'll actually be getting 30 year old seals....unless the seller actually says so. Besides, "NOS" and "OEM" are thrown around pretty loosely.

I might add that although we call them "seals" they have nothing to do with sealing the glass. "Water traps" would be a better choice of words. They just close out the gap between the body and the glass and provide a mounting for the stainless trim.

The glass is sealed/mounted with urethane...or, if original.... some older version of something like urethane

Cheers
DD