XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ12 on Bringatrailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default XJ12 on Bringatrailer

I don't recall seeing too many in this navy blue, but it really is striking!!

No Reserve: 1978 Jaguar XJ12L | Bring a Trailer

No connection to the car, just thought I would share.

The following users liked this post:
Sarc (09-24-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got it. Plan to bring it to Orlando.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by audibabba

That appears to be a nice car. ENJOY it.

Must admit, I am a tad jealous, there is nothing like a clean series 2 ( even with the FUGLY US spec bumpers ) even by todays standards, it is hard to beat for comfort/handling!

Old 10-01-2015, 02:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

I think you got a lot of car for $7500.

Surprised at the number of posts on the auction site from 'apparently' previous XJ12 owners. Given the low numbers manufactured, many of these people may have once talked to someone who knew someone who owned one!

The convincing story was the one about the old lady getting 8 mpg. I've only owned one XJ12 and it was rare to get into double figures on fuel consumption.

Enjoy it.

Graham

Old 10-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats! Seems well bought and I have a hunch it'll be a good one. Just love that color combo. Be sure to keep us posted on how you make out.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Beautiful car. Congrats and enjoy it.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by WinstonWolf
Beautiful car. Congrats and enjoy it.
If i am.lucky i may get to see.it if he drives it...... gonna try for the.british car breakfast again this sunday! Still havent made.it there yet!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:25 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome. I love mechanical things and have wanted a V12 for a long time. I find many cars are reliable if you maintain them and, more importantly, USE them regularly.

As soon as the car is delivered, I plan on getting the AC sorted. It is a must in Florida 2/3 of the year. The AC looked pretty complete from the photos, so I hope the problem can be identified easily.

Does anyone know of a good AC or other shop in Orlando? Darrenmb? I am new to British cars and I do not have the AC equipment. I think I can handle most everything else that may come up. The forums are very helpful.

Thanks again.

Glenn

Old 10-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Thank you for the warm welcome. I love mechanical things and have wanted a V12 for a long time. I find many cars are reliable if you maintain them and, more importantly, USE them regularly.

As soon as the car is delivered, I plan on getting the AC sorted. It is a must in Florida 2/3 of the year. The AC looked pretty complete from the photos, so I hope the problem can be identified easily.

Does anyone know of a good AC or other shop in Orlando? Darrenmb? I am new to British cars and I do not have the AC equipment. I think I can handle most everything else that may come up. The forums are very helpful.

Thanks again.

Glenn
There are a couple of independent shops around here, theres a classis jag place in altamonte on 436, (never been but drive past it, so i cannot say anything about them) There is strictly british, in apopka owned by Bill Snowden, him.i know from the jcna and several concours shows, very reputable, however i still havent been to his place either as i do all my own work. There is another one that my boss used.to use but i cannot think of its name. It was on 17-93 in longwood. I would suggest joining the jaguar club of central florida and going tona couple of meetings. All friendly people and there are jag mechanics there as part of the club. Also the British car Breakfast club meets the first sunday of every month at the altamonte golden coral on 434.might be worth checking that out too!

Old 10-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Glenn:

It sure looks nice. A lot of fun coming up.

I'd try the easy first. If feasible. Has it been converted to R134a? If so, just get a couple of cans from the parts place and charge it. It just might work. I seriously doubt that it has anything in it Freon or R1341 The caps on the pipes will tell which.

OTH, any decent AC shop can check it out and charge it if it has no leaks. If it leaks, they will not, even if small. You can???

HF sells the manifold and pump for a very reasonable charge. Check on line for a manual on their use. I've a couple of those. One an older one by a major oil company for it's dealers to use!!!

Carl

Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 PM

Darrenmb: I work right around the corner from the Classic Jaguar place! I forgot it was there. I will try to make the breakfast if I can. I will need to drive something else this time.

JagCad: It is most likely R12. I will know more when it arrives. I will look into the equipment and doing it myself.

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

A Really good replacement for R-12 is HC-12a, a Propane/Butane blend. I can tell you from my own experience that it works even better than R-12.
(';')

audibabba (10-03-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:06 AM

Darrenmb: I did not make the British Car breakfast on Sunday. There was some nice weather, so I went flying, instead.

I did check out the Classic Jaguar place on 436. It turns out the owner is a good friend of a guy I work with, so I am going to try them out with the AC repair. The owner has worked on Jaguars at the local dealership for over 30 years before going out on his own. They only work on Jaguar and it is right around the corner from where I work. I will let you know how it works out.

LnrB: I will look in to that refrigerant mix further. I have read articles where designers were trying to deal with the combustibility of the propane and butane to make it safer with changes to the AC designs. That was a few years ago, though. The articles did not mention the mix was better than R134a. I gathered there was nothing that would match the efficiency of the current refrigerant. I guess I misread the article (or misremembered).

Thanks.

LnrB (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

It Propane was so dangerous, there wouldn't be Thousands of relational vehicles on the roads with propane refrigerators and cook stoves, and bottles of propane hanging off the tale gates. It's flammable, true, but so are ALL refrigerants. That's why sniffer guns work. They use a flame to find leaks in the system.

I do know from my own personal experience, that R134a sucks pond water when put into a system originally designed for R12. I had that done professionally to an Ancient Chrysler once, and it was a Complete Disaster! When weather was Really Hot, like it gets in California's Central Valley, it was only a little better than parking in the shade.

Husband found this HC-12a, evacuated the system and put it in for me, and Shazzam! It would get COLD again!! Even on the HOTTEST days! So, that made a believer out of me. However, you must do whatever you think is right for you.
(';')

Old 10-06-2015, 08:04 PM

You have a good point about propane being everywhere with no ill effects. I will mention HC12 to the mechanic doing the AC work to see if he can get it..

Thanks again.

LnrB (10-06-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

There is room to think. My past experience in insurance claims taught me a lot.
One of my cases involved a moderate fire in a rental apartment. The source was under the refrigerator in the kitchen. My consultant and I got close but could not quite prove the frig was defective and the cause. And additionly, a major maker refused to admit it was their product. I left, but with a strong belief that the mixture of oil and Freon escaped the compressor and was ignited by the blower fan.

In another, a newly introduced Ford "little Bronco" caught fire. A leaking exhaust coupler ignited a transmission leak!!! According to the fire department and witnesses it burned hot!!!!

An way back, a farmer was in has field in a new 56 or 57 Ford pickup. first year of the automatic for trucks. Air "cooled". No pipes to and from the radiator!!!
The fluid got so hot it ignited out the filler nd burned under the hood, good.

So, in addition to gasoline, we do have flamables aboard. But, in the passenger cabin? Answer, yup, we sure do, the refrigerant....

Next summer I just might try that HC12. As my Jaguar was R12, it cooled nicely then. Now its system is a mix of jaguar and GM, and I've read of mixed opinions of R134 in R12 systems, I've held off. other reasons as well...

Yeah, it can get durn hot in Norcal!!! Durn near cooked in one trip through LnrB's part of the country.....

Carl .

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
audibabba (10-07-2015), LnrB (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

When (not if) Nix needs her AC recharged, she'll get HC-12a. It simply works TOO well to even think of the expense of converting to 134x. Wart will get the same if he's still alive then.
(';')

Old 10-08-2015, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds reasonable to me. Well, mebbe not Wart? it like my Jeep s designed for R134. As we know, most cars nowadays are.

My 94 Grand Cherokee is. Now that it's leak vanished, it cools splendidly, even on super hot days. I avoid running around on the peak hours, if possible.

My test is to run it wide open. Hold a finger to the outlet frill. when right, it is biting cold.

Carl

Old 10-08-2015, 01:05 PM

So there is no other change to the system aside from charging with HC12a? No need to change the compressor oil to something compatible like 134a?

Old 10-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

So there is no other change to the system aside from charging with HC12a? No need to change the compressor oil to something compatible like 134a?
Do HC 12aŽ, HC-22aŽ and HC 502aŽ Require Retrofitting?*
The use of our refrigerants to replace CFC's or HCFC's requires minimal retrofitting (change to service fittings). All other applications require no retrofitting. Our hydrocarbon refrigerants are completely compatible with all the materials and oils (mineral or synthetic) in all systems. The cost and environmental savings can be substantial!
HC Refrigerant

The above quoted company does not sell in the US, but it IS available in this country. Husband found in online but he's not sure where at this moment, maybe in Georgia, he merely evacuated my system and put in the Propane. If you absolutely positively can't find it, he'll look through his records but that was some years ago and it will take time.

Some compressor companies say they won't stand behind their compressors if Propane is loaded in the system as if it made more pressure than anything else which it doesn't. He followed the directions on the can. I didn't blow my compressor and I haven't heard of anyone who did. It's weasel words.

~EDIT~
Husband found the site where he got the Propane refrigerant. The page is still active; says for US residents order online.
http://www.duracool.com/

Another company in Nashville, TN:
http://bennettsupply.net/HC-12a.htm
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 10-08-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Additional information
audibabba (10-09-2015)

Quick Reply: XJ12 on Bringatrailer