Sponsored by:

XJ12 on Bringatrailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Finally home!

Old 10-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Just beautiful!!! How does she seem? Overall good experience on Bringatrailer??

Old 10-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,138 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Wouldja just Look at that!!
Very nice! Yes, very nice indeed!
Congratulations!
(';')

Old 10-20-2015, 02:25 PM

Well...

This is the second car I bought since August on BringATrailer. The first, 1986 Starion, was painless and a great experience.

The Jaguar was a little different, but not terrible. I only have one sticking point:

It was described as a 10 year owner with 10k miles added in those 10 years (1000 miles/year). It turns out a 14 year owner with 2000 miles added in those 14 years (170 miles/year). This is not what I would prefer from a complex car.

Other than that, the car is great. The paint is nice. The interior is nice. It started great. The AC was inop, but that was known. The compressor turns with the clutch , the blower works, and there was a little pressure left in the system. I hope it is just a leak somewhere...

I would recommend Bring A Trailer to purchase a car or sell. They have lower fees than other auction sites. 5% up to total fee maximum of $5000. Very reasonable, especially if you are paying a bunch for the car.

I did make one mistake with the car that I know so far: I washed the engine. I have starting problems now. The coil does not seem to be putting out a good spark. I have a coil on order, but I am wonder what else I screwed up. Did I short something that fried the coil? Or was the coil weak and I made it worse? I hope it is just the coil, but I am expecting something else, too.

I am a new owner and still full of optimism. LOL

Old 10-20-2015, 06:02 PM

Oddly, the first thing I did was detail the motor and fried a relay. I've always been hesitant on cleaning jag motors (no logic, just fear), however my desire for an ultra clean car trumps!

In the past, I've hit all the electrical connections you think may have been over saturated with WD40 (its original purpose for water disbursement). I'm sure I'll be scolded for this, but a mechanic showed me this about 25 years ago when I was a detailer and was cleaning motors regularly. I did blow a coil once on a Blazer.

Any more, I place rags and/or plastic bags on sensitive items. I follow up on them after with a more gentle/low water touch!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Received 3,885 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Very nice looking photos.......

The following users liked this post:
audibabba (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, before spending money on a coil, I'd clean the connectors. In this case, dry them out!!!

I've deleted engine washing from my lexicon as both of my cars are EFI and have a lot of sensitive electronics. Some supposedly "weather proof" but others clearly not.

A very nice acquisition, no doubt about it. When, I got mine, I devoured all the reading material I could find on it. I've acquired tons of lore on these cars.

Carl

audibabba (10-21-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Yup, like Carl said clean out all grounds with a file or steel wool, then I'd suggest dielectric grease or a product like Deoxit. It's a regular new buyer task anyway and you can get the wiring diagram (S57 or something like that) from the sticky/downloads section on this site

The car looks majestic in black with the contrasting chrome

audibabba (10-24-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 PM

It runs!

It turns out the ignition amplifier shorted and died when it was drowned with water. A new one and it fired right up. It was an expensive mistake.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:35 PM

That's great, now onto enjoying it!!

Old 10-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,138 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Originally Posted by audibabba
It runs!

(';')

Old 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,066 Likes on 454 Posts

It runs!

It turns out the ignition amplifier shorted and died when it was drowned with water. A new one and it fired right up. It was an expensive mistake.
Will it make it to the british car breakfast this sunday???

Old 10-28-2015, 03:37 PM

No. My tempprary tag has expired. There is a little problem about the Ohio title not matching the official VIN location (driver's side dash). It matches the engine bay tag, but that is not the official location that Florida recognizes. Ohio has to reissue the title with the correct VIN and then it can be re-signed over to me and then registered in Florida. So, the Jag has become a little more of a problem than my recent titling experiences. I hope the rest of the ownership experience does not reflect the start. LOL. The only downside is the expired tag means it sits in the garage until it can be registered with the new Ohio title. I want to drive it! It needs to be driven to get the cobwebs out of it.

Where do you find the info for the Sunday breakfast? I could always attend with another car.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,066 Likes on 454 Posts

No. My tempprary tag has expired. There is a little problem about the Ohio title not matching the official VIN location (driver's side dash). It matches the engine bay tag, but that is not the official location that Florida recognizes. Ohio has to reissue the title with the correct VIN and then it can be re-signed over to me and then registered in Florida. So, the Jag has become a little more of a problem than my recent titling experiences. I hope the rest of the ownership experience does not reflect the start. LOL. The only downside is the expired tag means it sits in the garage until it can be registered with the new Ohio title. I want to drive it! It needs to be driven to get the cobwebs out of it.

Where do you find the info for the Sunday breakfast? I could always attend with another car.
Wow, i would be going nuts!!

Info can be found at allbritishcarclub.com

Highly likely that i wont make it this sunday, have a rowing regatta with my daughter in tampa all day saturday, then trying to rush back for trick or treat and an airing of Beetlejuice on my back yard theater.

Good luck with title issues, hopefully next month it will make it out to the breakfast.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:34 AM

I look at this as an opportunity to test my patience. I am usually very impatient, so I will be successful if I don't go crazy.

I will probably be at the next one then. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:41 PM

I finally licensed the car today! I drove it to work for the first time. I hope to put some miles on it like it deserves.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Therapists should have it so good.

Fabulous, enjoy that really nice find.

Did errands today in the Jeep. great weather, but didn't want it to feel bad.

Did my good turn as well. Our local market chain has club cards. We get a better price if we have them. I have one. Dear departed arranged it.

A lady in front of me at the check stand could not find hers. The helpful clerk asked if I could .... ?

Absolutely....

She got her price break. I got some gas credit. But, far more than that, a good feeling.

Carl