XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ12 with LPG? Or x350?

Old 05-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ12 with LPG? Or x350?

Hello guys, newbie here, been sifting through a lot of information on the forum - but still need a bit of advice.

In my hello posting I explained how I'm selling my motorcycle and my car to fulfill one of my father's dreams - and gift him a Jaguar. It would be a weekend car. Narrowed everything to three options, all well-maintained - a 4.2 x300, a 3.0 x350 and a gorgeous xj12 HE. All about them, in the above-mentioned post.

The pluses of the first two are obvious - modern cars, still gorgeous, with many of the conveniences of the current era (ahead of their time): parking sensors, heated seats and mirrors, cd player and so on. Downside in both the x300 and the x350 is that taxes in my country are obscene - the 3.0 would be like 500 euros/ 400 gbp/ 600 USD yearly. TRIPLE that for the bigger 4.2.

So i just might decide for the XJ12. The car itself is registered as a historic vehicle, seller seems ok (has a a few other cars as well); it's the third generation, completely restored injection system, problem with the reverse gear cylinder and of course bodywork stuff, rusty arches etc. Upside - tax on this thing is virtually nothing. Downside? Well... he says it's really fuel hungry, 15-25 l/100 km (11-18 mpg). Otherwise, cars seems fine and pampered, will go see it in a couple of weeks.

So here are my questions, and many thanks for your patience:
1. For less hassle, should I opt for the newer models instead of the xj12?
2. Is it possible to install a good LPG system in the XJ12? Anyone did it?

Last edited by John Amaradia; 05-03-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,418 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Just so you know, the road tax on my 2007 XJ6 Sovereign )X358) 3 litre petrol is £520 per year, (or £10 week ). I would not call your £400 excessive.

Frankly, for the least amount of hassle, your best bet is the 3 litre X350. This has the traditional shape, a reliable engine with 240 PS power, and an aluminium body giving reasonable fuel consumption. Even so, even this car is likely to need attention, but there is lots of stuff on the internet, you don't have to buy parts from Jaguar main agents.

If you buy the XJ12 you'll probably spend 10 times the amount of road tax for the X350 in the first couple of years at least.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

You don't buy a series 3 XJ for economic reasons...they are not very cheap to get if they are in good condition in Europe, still need a lot of costly work, even if they are in relatively good shape.

BUT: It's the original baby....although the X300/350 XJ's are beautiful and technically A LOT better than the original series, they are still a knock-off in my opinion.
If the body work can be kept to a minimum and the rest of the car is sound, I'd always go for the V12 5.3HE. But that's my personal view....

Slamming in a decent LPG system shouldn't be that much of a problem. I'd opt for and LPI system (liquid propane injection) rather than for a conventional system. The injectors are already there, so the system could be installed quite easily.
Also the HE engine is fit to run unleaded gas (hardened valves and seals), so LPG wouldn't be much of a problem.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:05 AM

Many many thanks guys. I tried out the x350 and felt great, two weeks from now I'll hopefully drive the series 3 XJ... I'm literally today for one, tomorrow for the other, can't seem to make up my mind - especially since, as I said in the OP, it's meant to be a gift for my father. Again many thanks for your input - and please don't fret if I come back with more questions ...

Old 05-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

If the 12 is going to be a weekend car then the fuel economy shouldn’t be too much of an issue, but high usage (on petrol) will soon negate the tax side of things I would have thought.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,124 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Having owned both the Series III V12 (many, in fact) - and an X350 4.2, I can tell you that there is a clear choice here and it is the X350 if you want to retain your sanity. For an entire year I had both a concours level, low kilometre 1992 V12 Vanden Plas and a 2004 XJ8 (X350) in my garage. I love the beauty of the Series III cars, but somehow the keys to the XJ8 always fell into my hand. It was so much more pleasurable to drive, so much more reliable and so much more comfortable (and those three characteristics are shared by all modern Jaguar's compared to the earlier generations). No comparison.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm trying to get my head around what a V12 engine bay would look like with a gas system added. Mmmmmm more plumbing :-) but then I am easily scared.

Great thing you are doing for your Dad btw.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:04 PM

Guys, can't thank you enough for your input. Waited a while to respond because... well I thought the stories would be worth it - and they are. So for those fond of plot twists and tribulations, here they are:
Went half a country to see the series 3 v12. Amazing car, in the famous gold (or for the opponents of said colour, a runny sick Number Two). I remember reading here somewhere that the view over the steering wheel, with the two headlight bulges, the neverending bonnet AND the leaping cat is the view - yes, indeed, it blew my mind.
...BUT.
I never got to hear ALL the 12 cylinders... poor guy said they usually all fire up (felt like dealing with a WW2 plane really lol) but this happens... just as usually, when the car isn't started for a while - and it hadn't been.
He showed me (a really decent passionate guy actually) the short rubber hoses (you'll forgive my crudeness - they were on the very top of the engine, 3-4 inches short, no idea what they're called in English) of which he said must be changed YEARLY - because the intense heat cooks them (they looked thus). Oh, and the exhaust was agricultural, so to speak, due to a surely undesigned puncture in it.
And when my man wanted to let down the front windows, they refused to do so - much to his amazement and embarrassment.
On top of which he confessed that the car CANNOT run on unleaded gasoline alone, needing a liter-per-liter additive. Oh and the cylinder for the rear gear didn't work.
...bit too much for my 70-year old dad, I suppose, however mechanically inclined he was in his prime (and he was).
In my OP, someone aptly commented the v12 is, quote, "not for the non-spanner person". So true.
... So back to my other aforementioned alternative, the beautiful x350 then!! Way out of my budget but hey.
Only...when i called the guy, "hey this is me, you know... with the Jag etc etc" he said, to my dismay, that he had changed his mind, re-discovered the car precisely when he took ME for a ride to sell it, and sentimental reasons, and so on, and he feels bad etc etc.

So yeah. Back to searching. But yup, gonna be the x300/x350, so I just might politely ask the admin to move this thread to its appropriate section )...

Old 06-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Received 617 Likes on 319 Posts

I own a beautiful SIII and a magnificent X350. Love them both. Totally different but both unmistakably Jaguar. Good luck in your search.

Jeff

Old 06-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,
At the outset I must state that my comments relating to a XJ12 refer to a Series II, possibly the worst of the pack and significant and continual improvements occurred with the Series III.
Are you mechanically inclined and are you intending to perform maintenance yourself or at least take a significant interest in it's ongoing up keep ( other than swiping the plastic )?

My opinion on the first matter regarding whether the V12 is for you : 'If you have to ask the question then you already know the answer'. The older Jags and in particular the V12 can be an absolute trial. Their complexity is matched by their poor build quality which is complimented by their total disregard for ease of maintenance. I apologise to other Readers for my rather acerbic description, I can assure all that I am a big Jag fan and own three but to say otherwise would be disingenuous to the person asking the question.

Of course the complete package when mobile and running on all 12 cylinders is superb and delivers a motoring experience superior to cars far more expensive and bespoke. The criticisms could also be more applicable to certain exotica from Southern Europeans whose fame and desirability is such that the price of a good Jag wouldn't be sufficient to put a deposit on one, their glaring inadequacies being masked by their mystique and value!
As for the fitting of alternative fuel, I couldn't imagine why one would bother. The V12 will never be economical and adding the extra fuel system will only add to the headache and detract from the overall package.

On the other hand our X300 is an amazing car. It has just clocked up 400,000 km. In constant use as my wife's work car it presents beautifully inside and out, has wonderful build quality, drives well and on the open road delivers 10lt/100 km.
That doesn't mean I prefer the X300 over the XJ12. The two are not instantly comparable. The X300 is a retro shaped (relatively) modern car whilst the Series II is the real Macoy.
I wish you well with your quest, my gut feeling is that perhaps the best possible late Series III 4.2 would be a good compromise.
Al

The following users liked this post:
John Amaradia (06-21-2018)