XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ6 Overheating and Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ6 Overheating and Steering issue

So yesterday I was driving my xj6 to my parents house when suddenly the engine started to lag and I started to lose speed. The steering also started getting weird and I found myself fighting to keep the vehicle going strait as it wanted to pull HARD to the right. The only way I can describe what the steering wheel did is it did the same thing a truck would when you put it in 4 wheel drive on pavement and turn the wheel while moving. I pulled over and saw that the engine temp was just starting to exceed 90C and I could smell oil burning. I got out and checked all my fluids. All the fluids were at a good level. I turned the engine off and turned it back on, without waiting for the engine temp to drop. I got back in and everything was like it was back to normal. I no longer had to fight the steering wheel, the engine had good power, and the engine temp stayed normal, no burning smells. I arrived at my parents with no further problems, and later left for home, a 10 mile drive, and had no problems. Then, this morning, I got in the car after having it sit all night, and as soon as I began driving the steering began to go out of whack again. I was fighting to keep it strait. I couldn't exceed 40mph because the engine wouldn't allow it, and the closer i would get to 40mph, the worse the death wobble shakes in the steering wheel would get. The engine started to overheat after only 2 minutes of driving. Again I could smell oil burning. I pulled over, turned the car off, and immediately turned it back on. Steering returned to normal. Engine had good power, and I could easily accelerate past 40mph with no steering wheel wobble. I drove it at 60mph-70mph all the way to work with no problems whatsoever. No overheating, no steering wobbles, no burning oil smell. So at this point I have no idea what to think. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
Thanks in advance
-Josh

Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Hi Josh.

Welcome aboard

Before spending a lot of time answering it might be a good idea to know what model year you have. Engine size as well, while you're at it.

Cheers
DD

PS- there is no forum rule against using paragraphs. Since you're a newbie here I thought I mention that. Some of us are old-timers with bad eyes and bifocals