Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xj6 s2 brake lamp stop switch ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default xj6 s2 brake lamp stop switch ?

Hello
do any of you know where the above switch is fitted?
is it on the peddel as its not there or is it in brake fluid line as its not there also ?
i am building a project 1off jag special and need to fit a stop lamp switch and will need to buy one to fit possably to the peddel.
any one got photos of one fitted on a car ?
here is a link to my garage to see my project.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...evo%20mrt.html

Last edited by evo mrt; 01-14-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add link to garrage
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I *suspect* the Ser II is the same as a Ser III and the brake lamp switch works off the braked pedal.

Look above the pedal for a switch with a lever-arm type actuation

Cheers
DD

Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Doug is SPOT ON.

The switch is a lever arm type, and mounted to a bracket with the lever contacting the pedal itself.

On the Jags it is a "special" thing to get at and replace. You really need your HUGE dose of "sense of humour pills".

On the RHD cars I usually remove the seat squab, and extend the steering wheel fully out, then wiggle into place and go for it, NOT fun by any means.

Of course on your "special" that is all of little use I suppose. I have never thought of Kodaking the thing, too many other things on the mind.

The following users liked this post:
evo mrt (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
I *suspect* the Ser II is the same as a Ser III and the brake lamp switch works off the braked pedal.

Look above the pedal for a switch with a lever-arm type actuation

Cheers
DD
ok thats great thanks again for the help.
there is no switch on the spacial to be found. i expect it was still on the doner car when the shell got scrapped.
so i will go into my local motor factor and find someting non jag to fit.
cheers christian.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM

in my last post i just asumed that the stop lamp switch would be attached to a brackett on the fire wall/body area.
i dont know if thats right as tonight i looked again to find a brackett fixed to the peddel box above clutch and brake peddels.
i will attach a photo to this post to show the brackett iam talking about.
please can some one tell me if this is where the stop lamp switch fixs to the car ?
i looked in the haynes manual and no picture of the stop lamp switch at all so that was of no help.

Attached Thumbnails xj6 s2 brake lamp stop switch ?-img_1040.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Bump. Still need to know if the brake light switch is fitted to the brackett in the photo in the above post. ??
Help please.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The brake pedal pivot is on a big aluminium casting that bolts up to an horizantal surface of the bulkhead at the back of the engine compartment. AFAIK the brake light switch mounts onto that.

I see you pic shows what looks like a wiring loom clamp, so the switch will be near that. Sorry I can't be more specific, it's too long ago now from when I had the thing apart.

evo mrt (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't remember with certainty, as time has dimmed the specifics, but the switch bolts either to the pedal housiing or the adjoining firewall reinforcement. However, I DO remember that I was not able to quickly source a switch....it was late 70's-early '80's in sleepy north Georgia USA. My homegrown solution was to modify an early-70's GM lever actuated transmission kickdown switch....though probably equally difficult to find in the UK. As capable as your pictures indicate that you are, there is NO doubt that you will 'science it out'. As soon as my wife gets around to giving me a little more computer instruction, I will post pictures of my 'special'. It sports a one off all metal body with bits from Jag, Bentley, MG....Ford Model A.... Triumph....flea-bay.... Harley-Davidson....swap meets....Home Depot....the neighbor's old BBQ grill....and on and on. At least you've got a MENTAL picture of my 'heap'. The best to all, Andy

evo mrt (01-22-2012)