Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ6 Series III VDP - Tint Job

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
Default XJ6 Series III VDP - Tint Job

Hey ya'll,

getting ready for a hot summer here in central texas and trying to keep my jag cooler inside out and than last summer - radiator recently re-rodded, with fresh coolant and put in a new coolant temp switch myself and updated some of the other various cooling system electrics for my own piece of mind. I'm running at exactly 88-92 degrees C by dash and actual measurement but with no working AC and no UV film or tinting on the window, the cabin is an oven at 85F outside and I can't bare to do another summer of 100+F everyday for a month (like last year) - the sunroof can only do so much! I've developed burns on the tops of my hands from driving long haul summer trips before in this vehicle so it's time to make a change.

I'm definitely getting the windows tinted - but following road laws is pretty important to me and I drive through Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas pretty regularly in this car - Texas is pretty lax 25% front, no rear side limit, no rear window limits, and A6 line or 5" down on the windshield but Kansas has much more strict limits 35% front and rear sides, and the A6 line on windshield.

Two questions:
1. What is everyone's experience with tinting on a series III XJ6? Horror stories? Success stories? Favorite shop, glass service chain, or product? Which windows do you tint, which don't you? Prices? I did a quick search and it doesn't seem we've ever dedicated a thread to the light passing through our glass.

2. In line with the first, if I am limited by my desire to comply with Kansas' stupid tint law, is this worth the investment? If I get a 35-37% tint on front, back, and rear panels and sunshield down to the A1 line, do you think the light protection will be substantive enough to warrant the time/money investment? From the images I've looked at online 35% is awfully permissive and light, especially for the back rear window which for our cars is basically a bio-dome for heat, especially without protection.

Photos of the car as it is now are in my garage but here's a good one of the glass - clean but it's like driving a magnifying glass in the sun!

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 Series III VDP - Tint Job-img_1340.jpg  

Last edited by john_cook12; 04-19-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Tis truly a mixed bag. I was born and raised in west Texas. No AC in cars or even tint!
but, truly, I don't ever remember getting a sunburn on my hands!! At one time, the big thing as to sun protection was a big tin visor over the front window. Actually helped vision from sun glare, but little if any effect on temperatures inside. Neat little prisms to allow one to see over head traffic signals. Our family 50 Pontiac had one!!

In later years, I worked ion CA's Imperial Valley. it's temperatures made west Texas seem cool!!! My first AC car there!!! And, car color seemed a definite plus. White cars abounded! A friend had his car two toned. white top over the GM blue body. he swore it made a big difference. I agree. At about that time, wind shields came in clear and tinted. The tint was only along the top. But, again, perhaps some help in temperature reduction, but most in glare protection. I rarely, if ever wore shades inWest Texas. But, soon got me a pair there!!!

On balance, in my opinion, tint helps only a bit in car's internal temperature but makes vision a lot better.

For a real effect, limo tint would be required. Dark. probably get by on the rear door windows, but no where else.

As to Kansas law, applies to Kansas registered cars only. As your car is a Texas registered cars, it needs only to meet Texas law. Now, if it meets Texas law, but not Kansas law and you sold it to a Kansas guy, I dunno.

But, unless you tint so dark as that a cop can't see you and you drive like an idiot, you will probably be OK, with a moderate tint.

My Jaguar is clear all round except for a dim tint along the top of the windshield. it can get bright around here. I wear my RX shades then. On most other days, I don't wear my glasses at all. although, I am supposed to!! the rebel in me??

Conclusion:

Only body color can make a measureable, sorta, temperature difference. Tint can make it easier on the eyes with a barely discernible, if at all inside temperature.

My 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee came stock with a tint along the top of the windshield and a light tint on the back doors and possibly the rear glass. it is Pewter in color and it's AC does quite well, on hot days. At it's limits on 100+ days, but they are regulr but rare.

About five years ago, we had a heat wave of a series of 100+ days. Then, in out neighborhood, the transformer blew. Not alone, all over, over loads. The local utility had to call in outside help. We managed by shelter at the local senior center and drives in the AC'd Jeep.

Now, I have a small HF generator. I'll power at least one of the two house window units. Candles and flashlights if necessary.

That is one nice looking car!!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
john_cook12 (05-18-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I do agree a series III does get hot in the summer, I believe a light tint would look good on the car. It should also help with drying out the leather and cracking the wood. However my biggest question is why not fix your ac? I did it myself and it is pretty easy to do it yourself if you convert to R-134a. I don't know how I would survive without ac in the south.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 PM

It's not one or the other - I'm also fixing the A/C bit by bit - compressor test failed so that's the first stop. Glad to know the tint laws only apply to the respective state of registration - God Bless Texas.

Set to break 90F before May which is my unofficial deadline for the AC repair tint summer cooling job.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi -- Just to weigh in -- being from Australia, particularly western Australia we are used to the heat and UV radiation.
I would say tint away, any level of tint reduces glare and the build up of internal heat. It saves the rear seat tops, and head restraints. As for the front tinting along the AS1 mark, thats an Australian windsceen standard is OK , but not much help really.
To note I have to say that the standard big wide flat open dash top holds up pretty well. Not bad for"pommie" plastic. Have not seen too many with big splits in them, that is to say it is less than other makes.

I have had Jags with black vinyl roofs , funny they never seemed hotter than painted roof cars, but I can remember being surprised how well insulated from heat the headlining was.
I recently (last summer) got rid of my R134a refrigerant in my SIII and my XJS Convertible and replaced it with R152a --- fantastic !!! cooler , less load , less cycling, smaller charge, non flammable ----- and you can do it yourself , even in australia. it is not an ozone depleting gas, so you can buy it over the counter from an office supply store. Computer duster!!---- go figure. went this way because iI was sick dealing with A/C clowns who a) had no idea how to diagnose problems, b) no idea how to fix it once I told them and c) had a prejudice against Jags and charged accordingly and I suppose d) being dictated to by legislation on what I can and can't do to my car.

My 2 bobs worth.

Mike

john_cook12 (05-18-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

years ago I had window film applied to my '84 in a dark brown color, to match the body paint. It was done everywhere except the front windshield where a stripe was applied at the top.

in my '65 S type, I had a light green film done because the glass was already factory-tinted in a light green, so it made it darker.

in your car, a red window film would look awesome, but a limo black or silver would too.

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 Series III VDP - Tint Job-1984-jaguar-xj6.jpg   XJ6 Series III VDP - Tint Job-side-view-s-type.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 05-15-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:04 AM

Jose, that XJ6 looks very very nice with that colored tint - good choice!

In preparation for a long Texas summer, I have undertaken a few "cooling" repairs:
1. the AC has been recharged, dryer replaced, etc. with r12 - blowing around 50-55F out the vents now.
2. old radiator was starting to run a little hot; pulling it out demonstrated why - rotten, disintegrating exterior coils in the corners were just started to impede performance - replaced with lighter, cooler all-aluminum model. coolant flush + thermostat replacement as well.
3. water pump developed a slight leak - didn't want to risk it on the road, nor the possible introduction of contaminants into cooling system - replaced.
4. Tint - 4" Brow, 33% on front, 25% in back and rear. The tint alone has made the car at least 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit cooler in addition to just looking better aesthetically in my mind. I am convinced that this will extend the life of my seats and dashboard and the other crackly interior bits. There is just so much less light and UV rays being directed on this old wood, plastic, and metal machine. before and after photos below.

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 Series III VDP - Tint Job-img_0103.jpg   XJ6 Series III VDP - Tint Job-img_0107.jpg   XJ6 Series III VDP - Tint Job-img_0109.jpg   XJ6 Series III VDP - Tint Job-img_0110.jpg  

Last edited by john_cook12; 05-18-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Thanks John, it makes the interior cozy too!

if you want to eliminate more heat been transmitted to the car's interior, replace the "Y" exhaust pipe (the one with the second catalytic converter), which is located under the driver's side floor, replace it with the European "Y" pipe which has no cat, get it at Motorcars Ltd. in Texas. (the car will pass inspections without it). less heat buildup under the floor, really makes a difference.

I also sent my euro "Y" pipe and the two over-the-axle pipes to Jet-Hot Coatings where they were coated with their "Sterling" ceramic coating which reduces exaust heat radiation even more.

john_cook12 (10-05-2016)