XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1978 Jaguar (Daimler) XJ12 engine plumbing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1978 Jaguar (Daimler) XJ12 engine plumbing.

Hi all,

Im currently working on my 'barn find' 1978 fuel injected Daimler V12. Perhaps I'm on the wrong forum but I imagine the wealth of V12 information lies within this site.
When started for a test, the engine ran very poorly with a number of cylinder not firing. In spite of this, it appeared mechanically sound with no nasty noises, even cranking, good oil pressure and cooling and no fuming or smoking. I am hoping it might be failed injectors or similar rather than major internal failures
i am starting to disassemble the top of the engine. I don't know how far I will have to go but at least to the injectors and removing and cleaning up the cam covers, compression testing at a minimum.
I am working my way down the layers of plumbing, fuel rails etc, carefully photographing as I go. The engine is filthy and the rubber hoses are hardened and difficult to work with. They will of course be replaced with new ones.
Much of the various plumbing seems to be associated with emissions control and probably can be safely removed to help clean up the engine bay and simplify the engine. I don't want to get involved in an ideological debate as to the importance of low emissions, for the mileage this car is likely to do in the future, I don't believe it to be really relevant.
Can anyone advise me what pipes and systems can be safely removed without affecting the engine's performance.
I imagine I'll be asking a lot more questions before the car is back on the road
With thanks
Alan

Old 04-02-2018, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Can you post a pic so we can see what you have on it a the moment? You will have the pre-HE engine but exactly what it has on it depends on the original model country destination. But, if you have the air injection stuff, that can go for sure.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:12 AM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the interest Greg.
As an Australian car I think it is equipped with just about all the emission control equipment, though it does not have catalytic converters. It certainly has an air pump and exhaust gas recirculation.
Externally the engine is absolutely disgusting. I'm not sure how to real clean up the engine and engine bay. I really need a bead blaster.
The good news is that after lifting the cam covers the inside of the engine looks perfect. Bright, shiny, zero scuffing or build up of crud.
I will be keen to compression test the engine and have the injectors cleaned and tested.
I will certainly delete the air pump etc. Any suggestions on how to do it is greatly appreciated.

al
The engine bay is by far the dirtiest part of the car