XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1986 XJS 350, Good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

[QUOTE=The car currently runs, quite well according to the owner, it was a new crate engine, and the 350 is outfitted with some high ticket Edlebrock parts, which make me think that the PO probably knew what he was doing. [/QUOTE]

It's NOT a NEW crate engine, I see nothing in those pictures that would indicate that he knew what he was doing. Sorry to be harsh but if someones telling you that's a new crate engine then someone is feeding you a line.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bc xj
It does make you wonder.
My 86 was converted in 91. Between 86-91 there was $8600 worth of work done. 91 an estimate for $6800. PO declined repair and did sbc swap for $8100. All repair bills after that were $150-400. Tune up, brakes and so on.
How can a five year old engine have so much in repairs. There is something wrong with its design.
This swap paid for its self ten times over.
The only thing truly wrong with the design is lack of resale value, thus why so many got converted. Lumped V12 Jags wouldn't exist if there were Ferrari badges on the nose (weird thought). ;-)

Honestly, the main issue in my eyes was the original target sales demographic was about as mechanical as an ox, add in a car that ain't exactly a Toyota in terms of the fiddle factor = the sbc convert was born.

I personally love the V12, it makes the car imo..

Carry on..

jeff

Old 06-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Yup sorry chevy or not I have to agree with a couple of the comments if he is lying (or just don't know)that it's not even close to a crate engine and that it is a terrible install no fan shoud tiny electric fan (overheating) chevy radiator, older engine block (left hand dipstick) turbo 350 trans (kick down cable) this was a miss match of parts but I'm sure it runs and drives the problem is constant breakdowns if your handy with tools it would make a good project but I would never consider this car for any of my friends. Just my 2 cents.

Randy

Old 06-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

It may well have been a 'brand new crate engine'.....at one time

GM used to sell....and likely still does....all sorts of 'crate' engines....including a bare bones, plain-Jane 350 that came without intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, or any other external bolt-ons. You then transferred that stuff from your old motor or bought aftermarket manifolds, carb, etc.

Old timers will remember these as "Target Engines" and/or "Targetmaster Engines" back in the 70s and 80s. Later...in the late 80s as I recall.... the name was changed to "Goodwrench Engines". The dealers I worked for sold 'em like hotcakes. In the late 70s you could buy the plain vanilla 350 for something like $795.00 or so. When I got out of the business in 2008 it was more like $1595...which was still a bargain for a brand new engine

Cheers
DD

Old 06-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

JT:

A tinkerer did it. Not the best, but not the worst. I am a bit fuzzy, but, I don't think the crate engines of whatever version came with exhaust manifolds. The idea was to use the ones in the car as they fit. But, no matter, it takes ram horns or a very special set of headers to fit an SBC to a Jaguar. Steering column interference issues!! Even the fussy CA SOG referees recognize that and accept them.
and, a decent shape actually.

The exhaust manifolds on my LT1, sourced from a huge Cadillac were rear dump. Not a chance to fit. After market Ram horns do nicely.

I do have a vague recollection that some or even all of the crate engines came with
a choice of left dip or right dip for oil.

I'd love to clean up that install, especialy if the rest of the car is nice.

But, I've issues of my own in y car to overcome.

Carl

Old 06-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Haters are going to hate, hate, hate
You guys must be super mechanics. Thats quite the diagnosis from two pics.
Go and check the car. Look for rust, thats number one!!! Then check the rest. S

Old 06-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Haters are going to hate, hate, hate You guys must be super mechanics. Thats quite the diagnosis from two pics. Go and check the car. Look for rust, thats number one!!! Then check the rest. S
It's not a "hate" issue, it's an I, sleep, breath Jaguars and esp XJS's and a lumped XJS with a SBC installed by a tinkerer is not worth 4k. Maybe it is a new crate engine with Rams horns, do I really want what is by some standards an already complex car put together with electrical tape and bubble gum welds? Maybe the SBC XJS is your idea of the cats meow, frankly I could care less what your flavor is BUT the guy wants honest opinions about a future purchase and as an XJS and Jaguar guy I'd say PASS. And yes, based on the two pictures. For crying out loud the guy left the clutch fan on AND installed an electric fan....no super mechanic license required to spot that that's a botch job.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:10 PM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for your advice guys, I decided not to go for this car after all. I knew it didn't look amazing under the hood, but I guess I just wanted it to be? I dunno. At any rate I'm looking at another coupe. It's a V12 this time with 79k on it. the seller is asking $3k the AC compressor needs replacement, and once again, none of the factory gauges work (Maybe its a bad contact or something?) but the seller has wired up an aftermarket set. The car has no rust (Western car again) but does have Chrome wheel arches, so I'll be looking into that. Any advice on what I should be looking for on this car? It's owned by a mechanic and seems very well looked after.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

The most important thing to look at with these cars is the cooling system. The V12 does not like to be overheated. Dropped valve seats is a common failure if the engine is overheated.

If the engine runs smoothly and has no unusual sounds (like valves ticking) then you should be ok.

Non functional gauges is not too unusual. The electrical connections in the XJS are prone to corrosion due to lack of use. Most folks just dont drive the cars enough or they are left derelict for too long. It will take many hours to clean all of the contacts but once you do most things should work again.

If you have a rust free body, a smoothly running (and cool) engine, and a good transmission and rear end then you have a good car to work with. Everything can be fixed with time and the resources you will find here on the forums.

Mark

Last edited by Safari; 06-13-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Haters are going to hate, hate, hate
You guys must be super mechanics. Thats quite the diagnosis from two pics.
Go and check the car. Look for rust, thats number one!!! Then check the rest. S
Not trying to provoke, but I do have a serious question. Why not just buy any American muscle car instead? The available iron out there that handles better, stops better and as you said, is easier to work on, it seems to make sense.

Lumps done in period I can follow, being as though the car was still relatively new and used parts / motors were fairly hard to find and huge $$..

Again, not trying to poke the bear, just an honest question for present day. I am not a Corvette guy, but the LT5 fitted ZR1 with the Lotus designed SB is very interesting, and not crazy money (plus a third pedal!!)..

I guess the outcome doesn't invite the work to lump to a SBC in my eyes, as the V12 and its behaviors put a big old bow on the package of differentness, which is what makes a Jag a Jag in my eyes.

As I mentioned here before, I had an XJ12L with a low performance crate motor (4 bbl, 350), and after it overheated once (burnt a valve too - kinda funny) and put it right, I shifted it ASAP as everything down to the exhaust note didn't fit the car an inch. An early carb'd V12 with flat heads (not in an XJS of course) is a bit more fun to drive than all but a late 6L IMO (or an early standard trans FI motor in the XJS).

Thoughts?

One HUGE benefit of course is keeping the cars on the road, as I think I see one XJS a year in the wild..

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited by Broken_Spanners; 06-14-2015 at 06:29 PM.