XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1987 XJ-SC Power Steering Hose replacement

Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 XJ-SC Power Steering Hose replacement

Hi to all,

I had my car sitting for the winter months and only starting it up once a week. I took it out and noticed a leak. When I went to park it again and fully tirned the steering wheel I was completely oout of power steering fluid. All of it gone on the coincrete. The pump made noise, so my assumption is that it is the hose. I see a variety of OEM and Aftermarket products. Can anyone recommend a brand?

Also, I have seen posts here talking about ahvinf to lowere the steering rack and other not needing to do so. Any advice? Also, any tricks to align the hose properly?

Thanks to all

Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by sri2406
Hi to all,

I had my car sitting for the winter months and only starting it up once a week. I took it out and noticed a leak. When I went to park it again and fully tirned the steering wheel I was completely oout of power steering fluid. All of it gone on the coincrete. The pump made noise, so my assumption is that it is the hose. I see a variety of OEM and Aftermarket products. Can anyone recommend a brand?

Also, I have seen posts here talking about ahvinf to lowere the steering rack and other not needing to do so. Any advice? Also, any tricks to align the hose properly?

Thanks to all
There is a high pressure hose and a low pressure return. The high pressure and low pressure hoses are a mix of steel and rubber flexible pipes. All the flexibles can be replaced by good quality thick walled hose such as used for fuel or oil. The low pressure hoses can be just clamped to the steel pipes. The high pressure flexibles are swaged to the steel. If a leak is in a high pressure flexible, cut out the bit that is leaking and use barbed hose joiners and worm clips to stitch in a new bit, as long as the leak is not too near the swaged end of the steel pipe.

I suggest you jack up the front and axle stand it, then pour in some fluid and get a friend to start the car (in park) and turn the wheels lock to lock. You should easily see where the leak is.

New OE pipes are quite expensive, but if you have a good hydraulic hose repair place near you, they will re-swage the steel pipes with new flexibles for a very reasonable sum.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
sri2406 (04-23-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 AM

Great advice! Thank you. I will determine where the leak comes from, I do think it is the pressure hose. Anyway, I have read that taking out the left wheel will give the best access and also that the steering rack needs to be dropped.

What do you think?

Thanks again.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by sri2406
Great advice! Thank you. I will determine where the leak comes from, I do think it is the pressure hose. Anyway, I have read that taking out the left wheel will give the best access and also that the steering rack needs to be dropped.

What do you think?

Thanks again.
On a UK spec car at least, and I think on all V12s, the power steering pipes can be changed without removing anything else. Jack the car up and put it on stands, both sides under the front jacking points so the wheels can be turned easily, then do the test as earler described. You should easily see where the fluid is coming from. Have a strong bright flashlight, as it is hard to see anything up in the cooler/pump rear area. Once found, then see what needs to be done to get at the leaking bit.

Greg

Old 04-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine failed it's annual test on a leaking high pressure hose. I bought a new original Jaguar one, about £65 I think, and fitted it without removing the rack - NO DIFFERENCE!
The leak was coming from the £5 pinion shaft seal so I replaced that which was a bitch of a job. Rack back on, filled up with fluid and even worse! Pouring out now.
Reconditioned rack £135 and all OK now so I have a spare high pressure hose (the old one) which wasn't leaking free of charge + postage although it's probably cheaper to source one locally for you.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanks to both for the advice, I think I will get around to it this weekend. Thank you for the offer of the hose, I would definitely take you up on it but I had already bought one when I read the past. Again, THANKS!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only just figured out that it wouldn't help you as it is for RHD. Good luck with the job, it isn't pleasant but it can be done! If it's really messy under there I would clean it up until it's sparkling first, run the engine and see if it really is the hose leaking or the pinion oil seal.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

i changed my power steering hose (high pressure) with out dropping the rack completely. It moved just enough to get in there. not to bad....

Old 08-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Hi Greg,

I followed what your directions, put the car on two jack stands, started it and ran some fluid through the system. My only issue is that I am a one man show, so I couldn't have anyone turn the wheel for me... Anyhow, when the car was up, no dripping, but when I put it back down it all dripped out again. I raised it once again and got underneath. I can't really tell where it comes from, but there seems to be some fresh fluid on the pressure hose and also on the steering rack. Could this mean I have a double leak or the leak is high up near the pump??? Any clues and/or suggestions...

Thanks!!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Power Steering Leaking

I had mentioned in a post a couple weeks ago I was heading for a garage hoist to find the source of a leak in my power steering also, in my '89 XJS conv. All hoses appeared to be dry and good shape, and when started and turning lock to lock, was determined the leak was coming from the input shaft seal (steering shaft). we looked at possibly changing it with the rack in the car, however the mechanic suggested I try a bottle of Lucas power Steering Treatment first, said it can do wonders for leaky seals. I never was a fan of `Treatments`, but figured I would try it. I added half the bottle (all it would hold at the time), drove the car 30 km to home, checked the level, was down to hold another couple ounces. End result, the leak has stopped, fluid level has not dropped any more, and I`m happy with the $8.00 fix.
Just my 2 cents worth.