XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1988 Jaguar XJ-S won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Jaguar XJ-S won't start

Hi All,

My 88 Jag XJ-S never started since I purchased it. A little history:

I bought the car in non-running condition. I found out the fuel tank had pinhole sized holes, and no fuel. I re-sealed the tank, put fresh fuel in it and tried to start it. The fuel pump didn't produce pressure (maybe seized?), so I replaced it with a working repro. Also, I attached a timing light to the wires and it flashed, indicating I do have power going to the spark wires. So, if I have a working fuel pump, and spark, something is off with my injectors. What should I replace? Are there any relays that won't be a bad idea replacing/buying spares? Any other things that won't hurt to buy to test, and have back ups if they are fine?

The car was serviced by Jaguar. The receipts indicate that it had a history of starting issues. Basically, the car was brought into the dealer on a flat bed unable to start. Once the dealer got their hands on it, it would start fine and the dealer would have it for weeks trying to reproduce the no start issue. Finally, I have a consistent no start issue. So if I had a faulty relay or ECU that was on it's way out and finally gave, this might be a permanent fix. Any idea what I should replace first?

Thanks

Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar2986
Hi All,

My 88 Jag XJ-S never started since I purchased it. A little history:

I bought the car in non-running condition. I found out the fuel tank had pinhole sized holes, and no fuel. I re-sealed the tank, put fresh fuel in it and tried to start it. The fuel pump didn't produce pressure (maybe seized?), so I replaced it with a working repro. Also, I attached a timing light to the wires and it flashed, indicating I do have power going to the spark wires. So, if I have a working fuel pump, and spark, something is off with my injectors. What should I replace? Are there any relays that won't be a bad idea replacing/buying spares? Any other things that won't hurt to buy to test, and have back ups if they are fine?

The car was serviced by Jaguar. The receipts indicate that it had a history of starting issues. Basically, the car was brought into the dealer on a flat bed unable to start. Once the dealer got their hands on it, it would start fine and the dealer would have it for weeks trying to reproduce the no start issue. Finally, I have a consistent no start issue. So if I had a faulty relay or ECU that was on it's way out and finally gave, this might be a permanent fix. Any idea what I should replace first?

Thanks

Old 02-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar2986
So, if I have a working fuel pump, and spark, something is off with my injectors. What should I replace? Are there any relays that won't be a bad idea replacing/buying spares? Any other things that won't hurt to buy to test, and have back ups if they are fine?

Are the injectors clicking when you crank the engine?

Do you have a 12v test light so we can run thru some basic checks?

Or, go to the local auto parts store and ask if they loan/rent a set of 'noid lights' to easily test the fuel injector circuits.

Any idea what I should replace first?
Nothing at this point.

Don't replace anything without some testing. Rather than a parts failure the problem could just as easily be a poor ground, a loose connection, a chaffed wire......

Cheers
DD

Old 02-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

you should hear the fuel pump pressurize the system for a couple of seconds when you turn the key before you try to start it. Can you hear it?

I think it will actually do this at the accessory setting before you go to ignition.

Just to make sure the new fuel pump is actually pumping.

You can also make sure the lines to the injectors are not clogged but disconnecting them and putting a jar under and running the pump for a second. At least make sure the injectors are actually getting fuel.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Doug is absolutely correct do not buy any parts until you have completed some basic troubleshooting. Dorschman touched on a couple. You can check the fuel pressure in the fuel rail by depressing the shrader valve if you dont have a gauge. If there is no pressure and the pump is running check for blockage in the lines also check the fuel filter.The Jaguar Daimler steps posted by Paul are an excellent resource they are what the Dealer would start with.