XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1995 XJS Fuel Filter - 4.0 Litre

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 XJS Fuel Filter - 4.0 Litre

Just picked up my 95 XJS and want to go over the basic mechanics, plugs and filters etc. One quick question, where is the fuel filter on the car? Also, can anyone recommend a good manual for the car.

Thanks

Paul

Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Jaguar XJS 3.6 4.0 Repair Manual 1990 91 92 93 94 95 96 6 cylinder shop manual | eBay

You're going to have to remove the driver's side tire, I believe. I remember it was on the drivers side of that wheel well.

The following users liked this post:
Paul Mackay (07-19-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

www.books4cars.com still has the shop manual and also the '95-'96 electrical upgrade manual in print, or so I was told By 'Greg'. I ordered them but haven't received them yet.
RagJag

Paul Mackay (07-25-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Pull the left front wheel off and up against the wheel housing toward the right side you'll see a plastic cover with fuel lines going into and coming out. The fuel filter is under the cover.

The following 2 users liked this post by Roger95:
Paul Mackay (07-25-2012), RagJag (08-18-2012)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That Carefully Hidden Fuel Filter

My friend, who owns and runs a repair shop, and I have just spent 2+ hours looking for the fuel filter on my 1996 XJS convertible, We didn't find it!

Different sources say it is:
1) in the driver's side front wheel well - no joy, the fuel feeds go into the wheel well and back out again but no filter
2) attached to the chassis rail ahead of the rear wheel well - no joy, the fuel pipes (3 of) run along underneath the rail with no sign of a diversion
3) in the "luggage compartment" behind the spare wheel - no joy with this either.

Checking the fuel lines from underneath they run along the chassis rail as mentioned and behind that over the rear wheel arch and through a partition into an unidentified and inaccessible space below the fuel tank.

We conclude, very unwillingly, that the only access to this item which is supposed to be replaced at 60000 miles intervals is by removing the fuel tank, fuel pump, connectors to the fuel gauge and who knows what else.

Can anyone PLEASE tell us what we are failing to see or, at least, where the item is actually located before we start to dismantle the whole car?

Many thanks.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 AM
P.L
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Geofc,

On my 1995MY AJ16, the fuel filter is located behind the left front wheel. On the right side of the wheel housing you should see the "fuel filter shield". Take it off and you should see the filter mounted in a bracket.
Fuel Filter and Pipes-4.0/6.0 Litre - Parts For XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK
Not sure on that but I believe this is the same for both late 4-litre and 6-litre cars.

To empty the feed line, start the engine up, unplug the fuel pump relay (you'll find it in the boot) and let the engine die. Be extremely careful when you disconnect the hoses from the filter. There is still fuel left in the pipe and filter!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Default That pesky fuel filter again

Hi PL

I think I disposed of the notion that the filter lives in the front left wheelarch when I said that we didn't find it there. Any other suggestions would be very welcome. Here's what my friend emailed to me last night after I sent him a copy of my previous post:

"
I was reading your post earlier.

Add in specifically:
1) You recently drove it 1300+ miles with no engine malfunctions. Present mileage is ________ and it suddenly stopped starting while in the driveway. We did check and reset the fuel pump inertia switch (just to be sure it may have interrupted the circuit).

2) The last 8 of the VIN #._______ (the Mitchell manuals seem to indicate changes were made late 95 and indicated it is the later model 95-96 specifications)
3) That the convertible has rather large, obstructing reinforcing plates in the "luggage compartment" that "regular" XJS 2 by 2's do not, plus various electrical panels, etc, have been 'moved' and others 'added' because it is a convertible. (We still have not found where that panel with the fuel pump relay was relocated to, either!!).
4) The panel in the driver's side wheel well only has 2 electrical cables running in and out of it. No fuel lines like on your 2004 S series. 5) It does not appear to have the fuel filter underneath in the rear like the older XJ6. (again, large reinforcing plates in that area underneath too, obstructing that area's access!)
6) Should mention we did find the diagnostic connector behind the hood release lever, but there are NO CODES set.

It appears the late 95-96 XJS convertibles are unique in some rather interesting areas! I find it inconceivable that they took a fuel filter and built a car around it!"

Please has anyone got any illuminating information about this?

Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Default A minor correction

When my friend quoted that I had run 1300+ miles without a hiccup he was not quite right. Actually I collected the car in Connecticut and drove it home to Texas, a measured journey of 1803 miles during which it behaved beautifully.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Geofc,

Jaguar changed the position of the fuel filter for 4 litre cars in early 1994 and put it in the front left wheelarch, at the rear behind the plastic cover which protects the fuel pipes. Its position didn't change again to the end of production.

If you can't find it there can you confirm:

Do you have the black plastic cover in the rear inner corner of the wheel arch? If so, have you removed it and looked there?

If not, where do the fuel pipes go as they come forward from the rear left side under the vehicle? They have to get into the engine bay, so how do they do that if they don't come through the wheelarch?

If the fuel filter is not in the expected place and you say that the fuel pipes do not come to the engine bay through the usual route in the wheelarch protected by the plastic cover, then my suggestion is that the car has been modified previously.

Paul

Old 01-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

I know this is a pain, but a picture would be worth a thousand posts at this point.

If you can start by taking a picture of the rear half of the front left wheel well. We would be able to point out the plastic cover that needs to be removed. (not necessary to take wheel off, just make sure its turned all the way to the right)

If you can remove the cover and take a picture, THAT would be the proof we're all looking for. (wheel will need to be removed)

Short of that, either you're not looking in the right place, or the car has been modified. A picture will likely prove one of those two options.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:37 AM
Default Clarification - Fuel Filter

First, the vehicle in question is a convertible, not the older conversion but a genuine, made by Jaguar, version. Its VIN has the end part TC225425, the T identifying it as a 1996 product. It has been a 4.0L AJ16 engine from birth.

When we started to look for and, hopefully, exchange the filter we first removed the front left wheel. It seemed easier than trying to work in the confined space offered by turning the wheels. We then removed the wheelarch cover and found nothing behind it but a set of fuel pipes coming in at the bottom and going out at the top. There is no sign that the fuel lines have ever been arranged differently.This seemed to tell us definitively that there was no fuel filter in that location and we went on to look in other places.

We were guided in this search by a picture, also on this forum, of the behind the wheelarch fitting and by one of the various manuals which gave the same incorrect information. The rest of our searches are detailed in my first post.

Sorry I don't have available a picture of the space with no filter in it.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

I have owned two 96 XJS convertibles.

TC224949 and 225228. Both filters were found where expected.

The filter won't be in the tank. All you can do is follow the two lines from the tank and see where it ends.

My service manual says that the filter is located "underbelly, LHS, forward of the axle carrier". Oddly enough, that's not where it's located on either of my two cars, but maybe it will make sense for you?

Spikepaga (02-01-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

All AJ16 filters are in the same place. Like it's been mentioned, either its been modified or not found. The location won't be different

Old 01-31-2015, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

It is true that the Jaguar Workshop Manual was never updated for the 4 litre to reflect the fact that the filter was moved from the underbody location in front of the rear axle to the wheelarch location. The only manual that correctly shows the position for late 4 litre cars, is the 6 litre manual which shows the wheelarch location. But of course, you'd have to know that to realise the problem! I know a number of AJ16 owners who have struggled to find the filter in front of the rear axle before asking for advice!

Paul

Old 01-31-2015, 10:58 PM
Default fuel filter - try 6 (or thereabouts)

Well WOW!!! here's someone who is talking about the 1996 XJS convertible (although I failed to check before writing this whether it was Right or Left handed).

I don't know if I need to apologise or not but my Green Machine not only DOES NOT have its filter in the front LHS wheelarch but NOR is it located as the manual says, "forward of the axle carrier".

Please try to believe me when I report these facts instead of repeating the information about these two possibilities. I have, with an independent witness, checked both these locations with zero success.

Basically, do try to believe that we can read the manuals, we can manage a screwdriver and we are not playing jokes. Sadly, what I am reporting and asking for help with is the true location of my fuel filter. -- and NO, according to the last owner there has been no modification of the fuel lines from the original.

OUCH!!!!

Old 02-01-2015, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member

Geofc,

I'm sure we share your frustration but I suspect the reason you're getting the responses is that we all believe there is only one location for a late 4 litre XJS, being the LHF wheelarch.

As you don't have it there, I'm sure you can appreciate why we are all confused. The only thing I can suggest is to follow the feed pipe (as you've tried) from its connection point on the tank all the way to the fuel rail in the engine bay. Logic says the filter is somewhere between the two points. Our confusion also arising from the fact that Jaguar don't sell pipes that would traverse the whole route without a break for the filter.

I'm sure we all want to help but you can understand the confusion of other members. I guess this is why some members have requested photos to satisfy themselves.

Good luck with the search.

Paul

Old 03-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 96 xjs just changed the filter
the location is in the front wheel well behind the access panel can't miss it
i want to thank all that helped us because i could not find it for s---t