XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

87 XJS fuel pump no power

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 87 XJS fuel pump no power

Car has been sitting 6 months. No 12 volt power to main or fuel pump relay on terminal 30. Per my electrical diagram it appears power comes directly from the battery to terminal 30 of both relays but there is no voltage on either. Battery + cable may have a connection where wires to relays are connected but where? There must be a fuse on wires to those two relays in case of a short but my diagram shows none. I may be confused, so will accept any help. I'll verify transmission is in park next time I work on car but must be since starter operates. New battery, starter turns engine fast, pump does not run. Jumped power to the pump and it ran fine so pump is good. Car was fine when parked.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Swift

A few possibilities you could check out:

(1) There is a Fuel Pump Cut-Out in a little box at about knee level down by the door jamb which has a hole in the top, where in the event of an Accident or even going over a bump, this Switch can trip and cut the power to the Fuel Pump

In the event that may have happened, this Switch can be reset, by pushing down this button with your finger or even the end of a Pencil or something like that

Fuel Pump Cut Out Switch (push down the button inside to reset it)

(2) It could be the Fuseable Link (my money is on this one!) Inside the Boot/Trunk have a look at the Battery Leads and you will see a sort of Plastic Joiner with a Spade Connector in each end and if these battery leads have been disturbed in any way

Like for instance taking out the Battery or putting a Battery in, it is not unusual to lose electrical contact without even knowing what you might have done

So check for any corrosion in these Spade Connectors and if you jiggle the Fuseable Link about, more often than not the power to the Fuel Pump will then come back on (see Photo)

Jiggle this Fusable Link about and the Power to the Fuel Pump might then come back on

(3) The Main Relay needs to be working as well as the Fuel Pump Relay

Fuel Pump Relay is Black & Main Relay is Red with a Red Stripe

(4) If you have Tested the Relays and think they are OK, Ground the Orange Wire from the Fuel Pump Relay and then if the Fuel Pump runs, it could be a problem with the ECU

As this could cost 'Megabucks' Greg and Grant are the Experts on this sort of stuff

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 09:46 PM

Thank you Orange Blossom!! I installed a new battery this week so I expect your correct about the wires in trunk. I remember seeing two wires not connected near the battery but figured they were for an option I don't have. I'll be able to look later this week and I'll inform you of what I find. Thank You sir.

orangeblossom (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by swift
Thank you Orange Blossom!! I installed a new battery this week so I expect your correct about the wires in trunk. I remember seeing two wires not connected near the battery but figured they were for an option I don't have. I'll be able to look later this week and I'll inform you of what I find. Thank You sir.
Hi Swift

Hope it works and if it does I'm not taking any credit for this, as it is one of 'Grant's' Wizard Fixes that he showed me how to do sometime ago

Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 PM

Orange Blossum you nailed it! I plugged both wires back into the positive battery lead and the car started immediately. Thank you so much. It sure helps to have Jag experience online. I had installed a new battery and did not notice the two wires had unplugged. Thanks again.

orangeblossom (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 03:51 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Well done.

NOW go back and unplug them again, and CAREFULLY squeeze the female ends just a SMALL amount, so they are a TIGHT fit in the male spade inside that plastic cover. They will fall off at the most inconvenient time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
orangeblossom (08-13-2018), swift (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 08:38 AM

Good thought Grant. I will do that. I appreciate your message also.Thank you!