XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

88 XJS H & E, 35K miles, pretty little buggy !! Introduction !

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 88 XJS H & E, 35K miles, pretty little buggy !! Introduction !

Hi everyone, glad to have found this forum. My name is Susan and I live in the Detroit, Michigan area. I've had this nice little buggy for about 7 years. Found it on eBay of all places, about an hour away from where I live. I'm guessing most of the members on this forum are men, but I'm a "car girl". Had a 70 Impala convertible, 62 Chevy Hot Rod Pickup with a Corvette ZZ1 motor, 73 Cuda (Cuda belong to the boytoy-I'm a Chevy girl), but my XJS is staying for awhile. It had to sit for 3 years unfortunately and the mice got up in the engine and got to my distributor wires. Thanksfully they stayed out of the interior. Took it to a local guy down the street to get it running from sitting and after $1,000, couldn't keep it running. It'd run for a few minutes, then quit, then start, then quit. They finally threw up the white flag. Thought it might be the engine computer but they knew I wasn't an open checkbook. Had the distributor replaced, new heavy duty battery and lots of looking at it. Nice honest place but they weren't familiar with Jags. Being a woman, I was afraid to go to the dealership as I knew I'd get hosed. Anyway, (sorry for the long note), got a friend in Canada who's husband is a drag racer/mechanic/auto tech shop teacher, so I thought, "hey, I could ask him to use if for a school project, worst he could say is no", right? He said bring it over. YIPPEE! Trailer it to Canada (easier than I thought), and he is almost 99 sure it is the ECU that is located in the rear trunk. You guys know HOW HARD THEY ARE TO FIND right? Anyone got a spare to sell? Not exactly sure what the market value is on them. Part # 84526B / DAC4118. Saw a few on Ebay sell for $150/$200......any reliable Jag Parts sources? I noticed a few other little "quirks" on the XJS H & E's over the years after scouting them on the internet. Seems like the Connelly Leather wears in the same spot where the seat belt rubs on the Drivers left side and the cushions always seem worn on almost every one I've seen.....and why on earth did Jaguar do such a crappy job in the trunk with the panel's that cover the sides and battery? It's so beautiful on the outside and so cheap in the trunk? LOL.....Ok guys, remember, I'm a girl, and can keep up with you pretty decent in car speak, but don't get tooooo techy with me? Ya gotta keep it girl friendly? I've attached a photo of my buggy, the chain attached was from this summer after having to pull it out of the garage. Interior, other than the stupid seat cushions, is pretty clean, little bit of cracking to the burle on the slope, got a sweet Nardi wooden steering wheel. Need some new carpeted floor mats.....Love the profile of the H & E, it's what sold me on it.....Hope to become an active member of this forum.....
Susan

Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see U on site. I am learning how to navigate it. I have a 1988 XJ6 I saved from the junk yard. I have had much luck with this car. I love its ride, performance, looks. I will soon start on the minor body work and repainting. I am going to two tone it and try to post pics when I am done.

The following users liked this post:
encitartus (12-27-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Hello Susan !

Nice to have a lady driver around!. Afraid I can not help you with your car as mine is a total different engine, but you ll be able to get help with your car from other members here and in the JL forum. Hope your car is up and running soon!

encitartus (12-27-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

does m90 still have one of these?

there are like 5 currently on ebay ranging from 50-250 dollars.

Be sure the vacuum hose running from the engine bay to the ECU is in good condition.

encitartus (12-27-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

sold mine. ive got a 6CU laying around that has the front cover removed. pmy me if you want it. you can get the ECU's all over ebay for less than 100 bucks.

the 16CU for the 5.3L cars are the best ones and more reliable than the 6CU. just make sure its for a 5.3L car, because the 6.0's were also equipped with the 16CU

encitartus (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
does m90 still have one of these?

there are like 5 currently on ebay ranging from 50-250 dollars.

Be sure the vacuum hose running from the engine bay to the ECU is in good condition.
Thanks so much. I did find one for $250 shipped with low miles from a reputable seller. I'll be sure to mention the vacuum hose to my mechanic. Thanks for the tip.......

Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by M90power
sold mine. ive got a 6CU laying around that has the front cover removed. pmy me if you want it. you can get the ECU's all over ebay for less than 100 bucks.

the 16CU for the 5.3L cars are the best ones and more reliable than the 6CU. just make sure its for a 5.3L car, because the 6.0's were also equipped with the 16CU
Thanks for the reply. The one I bought is indeed the 16CU. I made sure I matched both part numbers that was on the original. I should be getting it any day now and hope to get it to my mechanic after the new year. I ended up paying $250 with free shipping. I didn't think it was a bad deal as I saw them at all price ranges. Another one was listed for $379. Got a couple of other little fixes (antenna/window) for summer 2013 projects.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

i paid $80 bucks for my 16CU......