XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

89 v12 coupe new owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 89 v12 coupe new owner

Hello everyone I recently purchased a xjs coupe with 92000 miles and not running.it will start then cut right off without me pressing the gas.
I have other vehicles but I would like to get it in great enough driving shape to take on a road trip soon. This is my first Jag and I was prepared for work involved. I will be cleaning the injectors changing fuel pump and filter. I am going to change plugs and wires as well. I planned on doing new thermostats new cooling hoses new ignition coil( could I possibly only have one?),dizzy cap and rotor,all 4 oxygen sensors( is this a good idea?),air filters and both fuel pressure regulators. I feel like changing mass airflow and aav woupd be good idea as well. What am I missing? I will add pics I have and put more soon. I have been reading on the forum for the last month and appreciate all the well thought out advice from all. Please help me get on the good foot with what I should start with.

Sitting near distibutor cap and plug wires. What does this go to?

Found this stuck in same area. Parking brake doesnt work. Thought this might be to it

This was broke away from next picture coming from engine

What is this? What is plastic valve? Its broken and was attached to other hose

Thanks for all help it is much appreciated , Landon

This is loose as well and i dont know where it goes. Any help

Old 11-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Pretty sure the plug and cable in the first 2 questions are to the cruise control, looks like someone has removed the bellows unit just behind the a/c compressor, there would be a two wire connector, vacuum line and the cable you have in your hand not being used if it's been removed.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:36 PM

Thanks for reply. Could either be immediate reason for car not staying started?

Old 11-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi

In the Pic where you are holding the Broken Cable from the Cruise Control, you can see a Coil and if you look closely you should see another one right underneath it. (so you've got Two)

Don't get those 2 Plugs mixed up or She won't Start!

As for the FPR's The FPR on 'A' Bank is the most expensive one of the Two! 'No I don't know why either' but it doesn't do anything useful, so no need to replace it.

Its the one on 'B' Bank (The Cheaper one) that needs replacing if any but easy enough to change on the Fly, at the side of the road, if you keep the new one as a Spare in the Boot/Trunk.

If She keeps cutting out, then it could be a (Stuck AAV) Automatic Air Valve, which Controls the Idle speed on Warm Up.

If She Keeps 'Hunting' on Start Up, its probably that.

I meant to say AAV (Thanks JTS for correcting me on that)

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-13-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:47 PM

Thanks orangeblossom. I have been searching for egr valves for the car what steps should I take for cleaning/replacing. Where is it located. Is this the valve that people have rebuilt? Thanks I am a complete novice to this car but have fixed and replaced stuff on my cars before. Thanks in advsnce

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

IIRC there is no "EGR" valve, just the AAV. EGR's don't control "warm up/idle" but are for emissions.

orangeblossom (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by landonfromtexas
Thanks orangeblossom. I have been searching for egr valves for the car what steps should I take for cleaning/replacing. Where is it located. Is this the valve that people have rebuilt? Thanks I am a complete novice to this car but have fixed and replaced stuff on my cars before. Thanks in advsnce
Hi Landon

I meant to say AAV Automatic Air Valve (my bad) Thanks JTS.

Yes this is the one that people have had repaired and Grant is the Expert on these, as he has a PDF of how to Fix it.

So hopefully he will slide by.

But what symptoms are you experiencing on Start Up? as it might not be that.

Probably best to sort out your Car one problem at a time, so you decide which one you want to do first and someone on here will know and be able to help.

This is what the AAV looks like and where it is located

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/s...g&action=click

Old 11-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

In my case the AAV caused high or low idle depending on how it stuck, huntin up/down (in my case) has always lead me to a vacuum leak.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanks JT. When I try to start it it seems as if something on top of the engine is stopped up or choking if you will.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Landon

Just wondering if the Cats might be blocked up?

Old 11-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Thanks JT. When I try to start it it seems as if something on top of the engine is stopped up or choking if you will.
Do you have a video capable phone? A short clip is worth several thousand words.

orangeblossom (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

As stated before, plug up those holes and ensure all the vacuum ports are all hooked up properly before doing anymore "running/starting" troubleshooting.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:11 AM

What is the piece of plastic that is broken? I need it to be replaced before I can properly hook up hoses/lines. Any proper name of that piece so I can order it. Thanks Landon

Old 11-15-2016, 12:21 AM

Will post video of hoses/ line not connected so it may be clearer what I'm asking

Old 11-15-2016, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Will post video of hoses/ line not connected so it may be clearer what I'm asking
Your car will be fitted with a device that caries fuel fumes from the tank to the intake on the LHS o the engine, via a hideously complicated device in the RHS wheel arch. I am pretty sure that the pipe and bit of plastic comes from this. If you are allowed to, it is best to remove the entire mess, block off the place it enters the inlet manifold, and vent the tank to air via a two-way valve.
You have a great deal of work to do on the car to get it right, all the above advice I very sound; take it steadily and resign yourself to going through each part methodically. It will take more than random fiddling about to get it right.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 11-15-2016 at 01:22 AM.
orangeblossom (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 03:40 AM

Thanks Greg, the random fiddling about hasn't worked one bit the last 3 weeks I have had the car. Is there a file to read or instructions on doing what you are telling me to do. As I am ready to work out all suggestions and remedies to get the car running. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

Download and read the Great Palm's XJS book from Jaglovers, it is free. That is a good start. Then tackle each system in turn: ignition, fuel, brakes and so on. When you have read the book and are ready to start, (say) on the ignition, post again and the lads will give you a checklist and how to test it. You will enjoy getting stuck in, I am sure.
Greg

Old 11-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

From one Texan to another, great looking car. Well worth sorting out
the issues.

Agree, those look like vacuum hoses. Put a guage on them and see if the guage reads one. Or just feel for a drawing feel.

Indeed, Kirby's book is an absolute essential. Jeff Isbell did a paper as well. Not as long, but very good introductory material.

As Greg says, that is probably a one way valve for the fuel vent system. An emsisions thing. Fumes from the gas tank are delivered to the engine to be burned off in lie of being vented to the atmosphere.

Carl

Old 11-16-2016, 12:51 AM

I have downloaded the Kirby Palms book and I am reading. Have also read many other posts from people with starting issues.
Before I would start troubleshooting I would like to get this obvious vacuum line that's coming from/ near fuel injectors. Its a off white piece of plastic that I need that was connecting the hose from/near the injectors to this piece that is connected to a hose that goes into the wheel well its near as Greg stated.

Does this whole piece need to be replaced or just off white plastic?

This is where the hose is coming from that goes into the off white plastic. Thanks for help

Last edited by landonfromtexas; 11-16-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

That is definitely the fuel tank breather system, which believe it or not is linked to the fuel tank. You can cap it off at the engine; but you must ensure the fuel tank can breath, even if you leave the filler cap slightly loose while you get things going. If allowed, the best idea is to fit a two-way breather to one of the vent pipes in the top RH corner of the tank and vent it to outside, blanking off the others.
Tank diagram:

typical two way breather
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s...breather-valve
Greg

orangeblossom (11-16-2016)