XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

92 Headliner was a piece of cake

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 02:16 PM
Received 302 Likes on 199 Posts
Default 92 Headliner was a piece of cake

Glue on both sides
Do not use 3M headliner crap from Autozone. This is the REAL stuff.
Ready to pop back in! Medium opal matched nice.
Just did the headliner in my ‘92 facelift coupe. Could not have been easier. Used headliner from yourautotrimstore which was about. $35 shipped. The correct glue is about $25, and a harbor freight industrial paint gun was $15. I already had the glue so this was a $50 job.

There’s a video on YouTube on how to take headliner out without breaking it. I took out the seats and steering wheel just to be safe.

The old headliner foam disintegrated so I just brushed it off with a whisk broom and vacuumed off the dust.

Glued up the back of the headliner, and the shell. Put a couple of trash bags on the shell and flipped on the headliner. Pulled the trash bags couple inches, stuck the headliner down, pulled another couple inches, etc. Ended up with one little wrinkle but it’s behind the passenger side sunvisor and I’ll never see it.

So don't be afraid, and don’t pay too much!

Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Very interesting,
imy wife and I just did our Range Rover HSE, it too ended up perfect though I considered it quite a big job.
The problem now is my 1978 Series II Daimler Double Six 5.3. I have not yet found any UTubes on how to do the job.
I am hoping it is straight forward and doesn't require the removal of the rear window.
Why are hood linings so bad?

al

Old 02-10-2018, 02:58 PM

I have an XJ12 sedan to do too but It won’t fit through a door and there’s no way I’m taking out the windshield. I’ll probably do it like I did that little red car you see in the background. Masked the entire interior off and put glue all over the underside of the roof (this car has a headliner you glue to the steel). Then on the headliner I put a maybe 8” by 3 foot stripe of glue. That allowed me to position the headliner on the roof without it sticking to itself. The with it mostly hanging off the ceiling, I sprayed the stripe down the full length. After that I could easily spray and hang the remaining two halves without trouble.

The following users liked this post:
Alan Lindsay (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Jags&Mgs,
you might notice I too have an MGB. It is a wonderful robust and largely trouble free car. Always intended it to receive a Rover V8 yet the original engine slightly tuned goes so well I can't bare to touch it. With a 5 speed box it eats up the miles and has enough leg room for my 2 m frame.
I realise the little red car is actually an MG version of the ubiquitous Morris 1100 ( or perhaps 1300).

Back to the headlining, I will have to learn more before I launch into it. I presume the Series II saloon still has a shell to which the headlining is glued to or are you indicating that the material is actually glued directly to the steel shell of the roof?
i take it that either way you are glueing the new headlining while the shell ( if that is what it has) is still in the car.
perhaps you could write a little more or direct me to other articles

wth thanks
al

Old 02-10-2018, 04:39 PM

Your car should have a shell, but since you can’t get it out you have to treat it like a headliner you’d glue to the steel... except you’re not.

Im feeling brave so might as well order up the headliner for the XJ12 and have a go at it.

That is an MG 1100 . Good little car

The following users liked this post:
Alan Lindsay (02-10-2018)