XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

'93 xjs 4.0 conv. fuel sender help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Question '93 xjs 4.0 conv. fuel sender help

Hi Folks,
I am replacing my fuel sender unit. Now,,, I realize that they were apparently always in the bottom of the tank. However, my '93 has it smack in the middle of the tank behind the spare tire (not shown in any documentation in my possession). I purchased a replacement that says it is DAC 11188. Looking at it's range of travel, I can't see how this would ever work properly. I understand that the coupe and the convertible had different senders(?) so if someone can please help me out here with a determination I would appreciate it immensely. The replacement I have appears to go straight in rather than down or up. Thank you for your help, Rick

Old 09-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rick. Up front I can't offer any tech help. I can tell you though that when I first owned my car, no matter how much gas I put in the tank, the gauge never read Full. I complained about it to the dealer for a year until they finally replaced the sender. No problems since. Good luck to you. The forum members are a great help. I'm sure you'll get the tech help you need.

The following users liked this post:
Rick25 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Rick,

A couple of comments. First, are you changing your sender because you know that your original is faulty or just because the gauge is not reading correctly? The most common cause of an incorrect gauge reading on facelift XJS is the anti-slosh module. Have you checked out the sender?

Second, the sender does go in at the centre of the tank as you've found. See the diagram here on Jaguar's website:

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...up-to-v-188104

Hope that helps

Paul

Rick25 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Thanks for your help Paul,
I just assumed the sender is faulty from past experience with other vehicles. At full tank, the gauge reads between 1/2 and 3/4 full. After about 7 or 8 miles it drops down to 1/4 and pretty much stays there, so it's a constant guess as to how much gas I have in the tank. I have never heard of an anti-slosh module until you just mentioned it. Can you tell me where that might be located (is it t an integral part of the fuel pump)?

Old 09-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Rick,

A-S module is in the boot on the left hand side, behind the side carpet trim and up the front of the left hand inner wing. It is sitting on a relay holder and looks like an enlarged black relay. Remove the side trim, stick your phone in there and take a picture. Then you'll know what you're feeling for! It's perfectly possible to remove it without disconnecting the boost strut panel, I promise you!

The A-S module smooths out voltage fluctuations caused by petrol moving in the tank, so the gauge gets a consistent voltage reading. Unfortunately the capacitors leak over time giving a reducing voltage reading and thence a low gauge reading. If you use a short bit of wire to directly connect the input and output voltage terminals on the module holder and thence bypass the module, the gauge will get the direct tank voltage. Give me a day or two and I'll check which are the correct positions to bridge.

If that doesn't cure the problem, then it's either the sender or gauge or wiring. If you do bypass the module, you won't get a low fuel light as that's controlled by the module.

Hope that helps

Paul

Rick25 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Great.I will check it out tomorrow.
Thanks again for your help Paul, I really appreciate it. I have never had any wiring problems with the Jag, so I'm ruling that out for now. Gauge? Who knows.
Rick

Old 09-09-2017, 02:12 PM

Hi Paul, I've found the module. I've also found some instructions on determining if it or the sender is faulty. Looks like pins 3 and 4 would send battery voltage to the sender.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

i second the anti slosh module i bypassed mine. no real issue with gauge fluctuation even with it bypassed. it will be this weekend before i can tell you witch pins to jumper to bypass, but i know it was the center pin to another pin. just a piece of wire, with two blade connectors crimped on.

before bypass my gauge always read low.

Rick25 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

It's 2 of the slots in the centre line. I THINK it's the horizontal one and the vertical one immediately above it, but I will check it in the next few days.

Paul

Rick25 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

here are the two pins to jump to bypass the anti slosh module my car is a 93 xjs convert

Rick25 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 03:39 PM

okay....still getting a bad reading, so I will change out the sending unit. It's an easy change on the 93 facelift. Easier than the hell I just went thru to rip apart the anti-slosh module that did not want to turn loose from the relay base, not for love nor money
Thanks Paul and EZ for all your help.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks EZ Rider

I'm writing to thank EZ Rider for his help on fuel senders and the gas surge regulator. When I bought my '93 XJS Convertible five speed a year and a half ago the gas gauge always read a little over 3/4 full. I found out the hard way that it wasn't working when I ran out of gas shortly there after. I've been doing the mileage driven plan since - 225 miles per fill up. I recently got serious about fixing it. I installed a new sender in the gas tank - no luck. I installed a new gas gauge - no luck. By following the posts regarding the anti surge sender I removed the regulator and followed the jumper direction and picture from EZ Rider. Once the jumper was installed I immediately got a 1/4 tank reading which was correct. I then filled the tank and it read full. Man I was happy. I did have to remove the left rear black wing sale so my big hands good have access to the regulator and plug. Removing it was simple. Thanks again to all that contributed to this fix.

JV

Rick25 (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 10:20 AM

Got the sending unit changed yesterday and the gauge appears to finally be reading correctly. Thank you everyone. Have a great day.