XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

95 XJS needs new convertible top

Old 10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 XJS Conv top stopped working...No up or down.

I have a 95 XJS 4.0. Lately I can't put the top up or down electrically. I have to do it manually. I hear the motor humming when I press the "ROOF" button but it just won't work. I checked the 30 amp fuse in the trunk near the convertible motor and it's fine. The little side windows will go up and down, but the top won't respond.

I know you have to have the emergency hand brake engaged and foot on the brake when using the electric ROOF, so that's not the problem. The problem started slowly and then just stopped working altogether. I have checked the big square fuses that are by the conv motor in the trunk and they all seem to be working. I was able to do that by switching the window fuses (outer 2 left and outer 2 right) with the 2 middle ones (Top Up & Top Down). The 2 middle ones worked for the windows, so I assumed they are ok.

Is there something else I can check?

Last edited by Apocalipstick; 10-19-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: The post is more about the top not going down than needing a new top.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,418 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Probably a stripped drive gear in the motor drive due to a seized cable or something. There may even be a breakable drive pin somewhere in the assembly to stop serious damage in such circumstances, but I am just guessing here.

The following users liked this post:
Apocalipstick (10-19-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Thanks Fraser. I will definitely look into those things and update if, in fact, that could be the problem.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I recently did the top on my car. i started a post about it but need to upload photos, etc.

Once you rip the old one off the rest is kinda self explanatory. you will need to put the top on with the frame slightly up and then alow it to stretch in the sun for a bit to get it on.

I purchased a canvas for less than 300 on ebay and it is very good quality.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:25 PM

Hoodun you did it yourself? If so, is it fairly easy or does it require specialized tools, expertise, etc? I know we had to have the tension cable sewn in a while back. That's the part that scares me...that sewing. Also, did the one you bought on Ebay come with the hook loops already on it? The ones that hold in the convertible boot cover thing.

Thanks alot for responding,
Debbie

Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes I did it myself. Bought a $260 top off of ebay. It needed the window installed from the old top.

On mine 1994 xjs there was no sewing required. The job is definitely a diy job. You just have to tackle it and dont worry about it so much. I used contact cement as the glue but did not glue it right away. I lef it on for a couple months and just recently glued it, as it needed a little more stretching after the sun hit it.

Its not a hard job on the 94. Start from the back and work your to the front. keep the top unlatched so you can easily attach it and just use force to pull it down and stretch it on there. At first I left it about a 1/2" loose (compared to before). I still have the front part unglued so I can tighten it if needed in the next couple months. Eventually I will glue that part on as well.

the only pita I had to deal with was the rear tension cable broke. So I made my own as I am a diyer. It would have been much easier just buying a new one. Though the one I made worked after a couple attempts. At first I clamped it together too loose...

The window also required some attention to detail. I measured what the current one is and copied it. Though, if I was thinking harder about it I would have moved it an inch since the current one was hitting the back seat... So the new one is now doing exactly what the old one did...

I use gorilla glue for the epoxy which leaked through a tad. Its better to use a marine grade two part epoxy IMO to glue the window in. Also, My window does not match the contour of the frame. A manufacturing defect... I had to compensate for this. I also had to use polysealant around the window on the inside and out because of this. Propbably good to use a polysealant anyway.

I used 303 canvas sealant for the sealer.

Thats about all I can think of now. Let me know if you run into any problems.

The following users liked this post:
Apocalipstick (10-19-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodun
The job is definitely a diy job. You just have to tackle it and dont worry about it so much..
You must be very patient and crafty. I did just the headliner on my 95 convertible and it looks like a hot mess. probably a 4 out of 10. Some jobs require patience and attention to detail, which I probably lack.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Yeah , Hoodun, just reading about that made me nervous. I think I'll spring for someone to put in professionally, as I don't want to have to re-do should me or my husband mess it up. The headliner is fine on the old one. Its the only thing making the car look bad. Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it. I'll check back when it's all said and done.