XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

ABS Brake Pump Conundrum is there a way of making this work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default ABS Brake Pump Conundrum is there a way of making this work?

Hi Guys

I just picked up this ABS Brake Pump and although its not for a Jaguar wondered if there was a way that I could get it to work in my 1990 XJS V12

Although it is a New one, it was a bit of a bargain that was too hard to resist, especially as the Brake Pump Motor is an Ate and looked pretty much identical to the one that burnt out

So my first thought was to take it off and use it as a replacement in the Original ABS Brake Pump that I just took off, as apart from the Plug the Wirings exactly the same

The burned out ABS Brake Pump from my 1990 XJS V12 'The Ice Princess'

I was hoping to take the Brake Pump of this New ABS unit and then just swap the motor for the one that had burned out

Although the Brake Pump looked identical to the one that had burnt out, when I unbolted the unit the Spigot inside was completely different, though everything else was the same including the Wiring

And so worse case Scenario would be if I took the old pump to a firm that can rebuild it, then all they would have to do is change the drive Spigot over, as the rest of the Pump is Brand New!

But what would be even better, would be if there was a way of using the whole ABS Pump in my Car as it is

As you will see from the Photos, the whole thing is Brand New and has an ABS Brake Pump and 'What looks like' a Relay bolted on the Top

The Wiring on the ABS Brake Pump is identical to the Original

The Wiring on the Relay is identical to the Original

All except for the Electric Plugs which could be Changed

There are only 4 Inlet Outlets in Total, anything else that you see are to do with the mountings

The Brake Pump has what looks like a Low Pressure Inlet and a High Pressure Outlet

The Relay has what looks like a Low Pressure Inlet and a High Pressure Outlet

This unit doesn't have the 'Black Ball' Accumulator and am not sure if it is supposed to have one or not

Also not sure what Car this was for

Does anyone know of any way that this could be made to work in an XJS maybe by linking the Low Pressure Inlets together into one Inlet and then linking the High Pressure Inlets together into one High Pressure Outlet or something like that?

There are only 4 Brake Pipe Connections in Total: 'What looks like' a Low Pressure Inlet and a High Pressure Outlet on the Relay and 'What looks like' a Low Pressure Inlet and a High Pressure Outlet on the Brake Pump

Anything else including those Yellow Plugs is to do with the Mountings on whatever car it was for

The Electric Wiring is the same as the Original Brake Pump and Relay apart from the Plugs

Any ideas how I could make this work?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 05-13-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

No way to make that work mate. You'd need to know what car it was off and then see how it is supposed to work. If it is from a car with a brake booster/servo, then it won't work either. And just putting some lines together... Remember, the standard Tebes MK II ABS used ONE pressurized line and one on which it would suck.

A hodge podge brake system is NOT a good idea. Mix 'n Match is a life threat... Especially using components, which possibly don't work properly together.

With the normal XJ-S brake booster system, it sharesheet&utm_medium 99% of the parts. The only differences are the servo and the master cylinder. It is proven (13-14 years prior the ABS time) and is serviceable.

What has died on your ABS pump unit? The motor or the pump itself?

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Daim

Cheers!

It's the Brake Pump Motor that's died NOT the Pump

So when I saw this I thought I'd better have it because the Brake Pump Motor on this is exactly the same apart from the Spigot that Spins the Pump

And so if I decide to have my old Brake Pump rebuilt to either use or keep as a Spare for one of my other Cars

If the firm I take it to can swap over the drive Spigot, then I will have a spare Brake Pump that will be almost like new

Old 05-14-2018, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Take the motor apart and rebuild it. All it is a one moving part, some bearings and maybe some brushes inside...

Old 05-14-2018, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Take the motor apart and rebuild it. All it is a one moving part, some bearings and maybe some brushes inside...
Hi Daim

That was the idea, take all the stuff from the New Pump and then use that to rebuild the Old one

Old 05-14-2018, 03:28 AM
Received 265 Likes on 197 Posts

I agree - your problem is a burnt out and siezed electric motor. There is plenty of expertise out there in rebuilding simple electrical devices. However, if you start trying to put together a mish-mash of hydraulic/electronic componenets, you risk real problems with genuine danger to you and other road users.
Stick with the proper pump and get the motor repaired.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I agree with rebuilding the existing motor. I would suspect either a seized bearing or a brush jammed in the commutator.

Take it to an auto electrician.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Bladerunner@Warrjon

Good idea! I think I'll do just that