XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Adding led strips to rear early tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Adding led strips to rear early tail lights

I've been totally going overboard with my 1988 XJS since I had her changed from signal red (three in town) to piano black. It set me off on a quest to make mine as unique as possible. I've already done this to my 2010 XF to great success. So now it's the old girls turn.
I've decided the tail lights are so interesting with their arched shape, I'm going to add led red strips inside to accentuate the arch. Was hoping I could simply use the interior to self stick the strip to but as with every single thing on these cars, they were not so straight forwardly designed. There's really no edge to apply the strip to so I'm cutting a clear plexi outline of the arch that I can attach the strip to then hopefully mount in front of the brake light using spacers and long bolts. Only question is whether to use them as brake lights (still having standard bulb in conjunction) or simply driving lights. Probably the later.
Wish me luck!!
I've already added brilliant interior amber accent lighting. Foot wells, ski slope illumination, and soon soft door panel lighting. All concealed and just that warm glow.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

I doubt it will look good. Not many aftermarket modifications enhance the look of these cars. Still, do a mockup in Photoshop and post it here. You'll get feedback!

Would love to see pics of your interior illumination mods, those sound good.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

i am dying to see pics of the interior lighting.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
I doubt it will look good. Not many aftermarket modifications enhance the look of these cars. Still, do a mockup in Photoshop and post it here. You'll get feedback!

I agree on mods on the Xjs. Believe me I've wasted more money than I care to admit on ideas it update the car. It's just in my nature! I'm waiting to get my plexi panels from my glass shop so I can attach the strips to them. When I tested the lights by sticking them to the inside of the red lense, it looked quite good. I think because its behind the lense so you don't see the mechanics, looks totally intergrated. I would have left them there but there was a dark line from the strip being mounted on the lense. That's why I think floating inside on a clear panel will eliminate that shadow.
Wouldn't be the first time I've tried a mod and thought better after installed!
I will say the halo replacement quad headlamp bulbs from eBay do look quite good!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by M90power
i am dying to see pics of the interior lighting.
I'll get some pics when car back out of paint shop. Had a problem with a few flaws in the new black paint and they actually screwed up the inner buttresses trying to fix so now their reprinting the entire top and rear sides due to it being one panel. Ugh!
The interior lighting was so easy though. Especially if you pull power from the lighter bulb. I didn't even splice into the wires. I simply pushed a wire into the terminals that plug into the lighter bulb and used it to wire led strips. Easy removal if any future problems.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Got pics of your XF mods in the meantime?

Old 01-26-2013, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Got pics of your XF mods in the meantime?
If you go to my albums in my profile, you'll see my xf. I'm working on downloading pics to a URL site. I really wish I could download directly from phone or pc and not have to go through a third party URL site!
On my XF I've totally blacked out all chrome ant entire roof, added the drl blades in lower front air intakes, added a new German made leaper, also paino black and a totally custom rear badge using a 3" round red led marker with the growler chrome portions from new badge. Currently it's wired to parking lights but I'm planning to wire to brake lights. Also just added black side vents and planning on , now, having all black trim wrapped in translucent black carbon fiber!

Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Philhef, just checked out your XJS pics with the angel eye / halo lights. They certainly 'pop'. I definitely don't dislike them. It's an interesting look on a black car. Wonder how it would look if you blacked out the chrome headlight surrounds too?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Philhef, just checked out your XJS pics with the angel eye / halo lights. They certainly 'pop'. I definitely don't dislike them. It's an interesting look on a black car. Wonder how it would look if you blacked out the chrome headlight surrounds too?
Actually, they're very subtle. Only on a cloudy day or dusk do they really pop! I do like them better on my car now that it's black, probably looks best on black, white or silver/grey. They did also give much better light at night as well, much brighter bulbs.
I've since changed to Euro hedlamps. Actually bought two sets as the first set had no silver inside and a chip on the interior of the glass as well. I've separated the glass from the housing and sprayed with bumper chrome. When I tested them, they really looked great. As usual, I'm playing around with trying led white strips inside the housing to see what intergrated DRL light strips would look like inside the euro headlamp. they actually look good! I just want longer strips to outline the outer edges and bottom of the glass to give a "J" light pattern, all inside the headlamp.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

I did order an extra set of quad surrounds that were already painted black. Didn't care for them as much, made the car look a bit to "Christine" for me. Frankly, the quad headlights even with chrome made me think about that darn movie too much, hence the swap to Euro.