XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

air intake V12 not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default air intake V12 not working

Hi, one of my air intakes is not drawing as much air
as the other. This seems odd to me. The drivers side (left) draws lots of air and if I put my hand over the nozzle the rpm drops as it is not getting the air it needs, but when I put my hand over the nozzle of the air intake on the other side the rpm does not drop and there is very little air being draw in. This does not seem normal to me, can anyone help me diagnose the problem? I hope nothing is really wrong with my car, it is a 1988 Jaguar XJS 5.3 V12 HE model. What do you suppose is wrong? Another thing, the car seems to stay in 2nd gear at 60 kilometers far too long when excellerating, any ideas? Thanks guys for the help when you get back to me.. Donna

Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by jetlag700
Hi, one of my air intakes is not drawing as much air
as the other. This seems odd to me. The drivers side (left) draws lots of air and if I put my hand over the nozzle the rpm drops as it is not getting the air it needs, but when I put my hand over the nozzle of the air intake on the other side the rpm does not drop and there is very little air being draw in. This does not seem normal to me, can anyone help me diagnose the problem? I hope nothing is really wrong with my car, it is a 1988 Jaguar XJS 5.3 V12 HE model. What do you suppose is wrong? Another thing, the car seems to stay in 2nd gear at 60 kilometers far too long when excellerating, any ideas? Thanks guys for the help when you get back to me.. Donna

Air intake: Normal. Nothing to fix.

Transmission: At what amount of throttle opening? At very minimum throttle it should shift at out of second gear about 20 +/- mph. At full throttle, about 90-100 mph. The shift point will increase as the throttle opening is increased.

Or are you saying that after reaching a steady 60khm the transmission does not shift into third gear?

Cheers
DD

Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Air intake: Normal. Nothing to fix.

Transmission: At what amount of throttle opening? At very minimum throttle it should shift at out of second gear about 20 +/- mph. At full throttle, about 90-100 mph. The shift point will increase as the throttle opening is increased.

Or are you saying that after reaching a steady 60khm the transmission does not shift into third gear?

Cheers
DD
First the air intake, this is normal for one to draw more air than the other? How is that? Explain, cuz it makes no sense to me~!~!
The car shifts into third, but it seems to stay in second too long when excellerating, I don't have the gas pedal all the way to the floor, I don't want to "push" my old car. When putzing around town it shifts nice and smooth, but if I stomp it it shifts hard. I am going to convert it to a manual transmission asap, never did like the auto transmission. Next time I run it I will see how long it stays in 2nd and check the RPM and that way it my original question might make more sense to you. Thanks for getting back to me, but the air thing, can you explain why one intake draws more air? This can't be factory~!~ Is it? Donna

Last edited by jetlag700; 02-13-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

The left side draws more air at idle because the Auxilary Air Valve, which controls idle speed, draws from the left side air filter housing.

The balance tube at the rear of the engine ensures both sides get equal amounts of air. It's just that most of the air is initially drawn from the left side at low engine speeds.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-14-2010, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
The left side draws more air at idle because the Auxilary Air Valve, which controls idle speed, draws from the left side air filter housing.

The balance tube at the rear of the engine ensures both sides get equal amounts of air. It's just that most of the air is initially drawn from the left side at low engine speeds.

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug, what a sweetheart for the time you took to read and reply to my inquiry, I am relieved to find out why one intake draws more air. I was beginning to think one of my catalytic converters was plugged. Glad there are guys on here like you to straighten me out.....lol....once again thank you, Donna

Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to help :-)

Cheers
DD