XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Air Pump Gone (see picture)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Pump Gone (see picture)

I keep finding things on my new to me 86 XJS V-12 except in this case, I am missing something -- namely the air pump.

I know that by reading the Kirby book (which is an incredibly valuable resource) that the pump is not necessary except on warm up on H.E models. With that said, the pipe going to the exhaust is broken and wide open (see picture below with open pipe circled in red). I have plugged the air cleaner housing opening as suggested.

The question is, what harm is being done by the open pipe to the exhaust and where are the other connections? The Kirby book says,

"Eliminating the clutter and weight is more involved: removing the air manifolds and piping,

plugging the holes in the intake manifold, and replacing the gutted air pump with an idler pulley."

Well, the air pump is gone and I do not see an idler pulley. Also, I do not know where the plugs in the intake manifold are located (see other picture).

Is it likely that someone removed the pump on purpose? The engine runs well. What symptons would I notice if the intake manifold issue plugs were not made? How, if at all, should the red-circled pipe be plugged? Should I get another air pump? One other thing, the alternator is new from the previous owner. A hint there?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Air Pump Gone (see picture)-open-pipe2.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 177 Likes on 128 Posts

The holes would be the ones that would exist if you were to take the air rails off the engine. They lead directly to the exhaust manifold, so you'd need to block them to prevent exhaust gas from shooting up through them. I used the method in the Kirby book to block the holes.

From what I understand there is no reason to replace the air pump unless you have to be concerned with an emissions inspection.

If you take the air rails off, the the pipe that you are talking about is just that, and empty pipe. It is apparently somewhat difficult to get out, so I just left mine in place.

If you really want another air pump you can have mine....I've no idea if it works or not, but I'll never put it back on my car.

Good luck with it!

John
1987 XJ-S V12, 62,000 miles

Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the offer! I think it was taken off on purpose. On a car as old as mine, there is no emissions testing.