XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Antenna delete plugs for XJS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Antenna delete plugs for XJS

Hi gents,

I have been debating as to wether I should keep the antenna in my XJS operative or not. I just bought a new power antenna to replace the failed one in the car, but had sort of instant regret, as it is like buying a replacement CD changer. I like 100 percent originality, but in reality, I am not sure I want the original antenna there anymore or if I should go with a modern one that can’t be seen.

Anyway, looking for delete plugs I found this high quality chrome one available for Porsche 911, but I can’t seem to find anything remotely similar for XJS or E type cars.

Anyone around here has something that worked and looks substantial? Or should I just keep the antenna?

I like how this

Old 07-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Not a fan of that plug. Rather obvious. Might as well have a retracted antenna there - visually, wouldn't be much different.
I've sometimes been tempted to remove my own antenna, as I never listen to the radio, and filling the hole with something and painting it over, to make it look like it was never there. (The aftermarket stereo wants to raise the antenna each time I turn it on, so I simply removed the fuse in the rear.)

The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
Not a fan of that plug. Rather obvious. Might as well have a retracted antenna there - visually, wouldn't be much different.
I've sometimes been tempted to remove my own antenna, as I never listen to the radio, and filling the hole with something and painting it over, to make it look like it was never there. (The aftermarket stereo wants to raise the antenna each time I turn it on, so I simply removed the fuse in the rear.)
I added a switch to the antenna wire, mounted into one of the holes in the armrest box. I can manually activate the antenna anytime I want it, instead of the head unit deciding. I usually listen to satellite radio or my iPhone, but occasionally will check the airwaves....

Old 07-20-2019, 04:43 PM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

A small piece of sheet metal cut to size, a MIG welder, a bit of filler, a touch of paint and it's like it was never there!
I did mine at home but a friendly bodyshop shouldn't charge too much for such a small job.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:56 PM
Received 227 Likes on 147 Posts

Hello

Deleted mine during rust repairs, both through the fender and the wing. If I look closely, I can see where the hole in the wing use to be - but fibreglass is very hard to work with (in my opinion)

In regards to a friendly body shop not charging to much - most of the cost associated with painting is getting the colour right, you also don't just paint that area - you also have to feather it in, which means a surprisingly large area.

Years ago (about 20) - I had a Ford Cortina that needed work in a small area (door hinge?) - Local panel beater quoted $600, got him to do it for $100 when I said to use Aerosol paint with the near enough is good enough theory at the time

You can get chrome 25mm aerial hole covers very cheaply, if you don't like chrome - you can get it powder coated to match your car, which still would be cheaper than filling the car and painting

No aerial - looks good
When I go for long trips - I have the Ipod turned on, that way - no commercials, 100% of songs I like and no talk back radio. When I removed my aerial as part of the strip down, water came from the motor, so I didn't really have to think too much about it.

Cheers
Steve

Old 07-21-2019, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

IDK guys, I really liked the chrome plug on that Porsche. I though it looks good and kind of shows that there used to be a now obsolete technology that once went in there.

But I think I will just stick to said obsolete technology. I already ordered the new old stock Harada MX-22 anyway. That antenna comes with 3 wires only so I have to figure out a way to break into it and make it work like the OEM Harada unit worked.