XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Chevy V8 instead of the original V12

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

i got mine together just enough for a quick run around the block today.

definatly have some tuning to do on it. first trip around the block probably was only making about 280hp certainly faster than stock but not a lot. a little tuning much better seat dyno says about 325. so i still got a ways to go.

the stock converter that came with my will blow 700r4 is defiantly not a great match for the cam but i kinda knew that would be the case. this trans setup is temporary and will come back out at some point for a full re-work and didn't really want to throw a new tq converter on a relatively unknown trans. because if the trans pukes its guts out it will wreck the converter. but otherwise trans feels great.

i got a little working to do on the power steering bracket to get the pulley lined up right so i ran it today without power steering. got to get that worked out and get some fans on the radiator tidy some stuff up and then it will be time to put some miles on it and work any other kinks out. if time allows i hope to drive it home from my shop tomorrow.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (07-11-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm happy to see that this idea is regaining interest. Most likely due to the insane high costs of keeping the V12s alive and well. I've heard over and over that the V12 is a great engine and I agree with that from a mechanical standpoint but the lump of iron and aluminum is no good if the over complicated mess of electronics and vacuum and fuel and cooling systems that it needs to run can't be maintained. I own 2 V12's, an 88 with 67k on it and a 92 with 102k. The cost of a distributor cap and rotor for the 88 is as much as an entire rebuild kit for a small block chevy, not to mention the fact that i can't find a vacuum advance unit to buy. I'm by no means a sbc loyalist as I've only ever had 2 mixed in with the 50+ vehicles I've had the pleasure of owning and working on. I do admire the GM LS engines for their ability to make power and their efficiency when compared to other engines putting out similar power but the wiring required makes it more complicated than I care for. I bought a running and driving Buick Roadmaster wagon with the TBI 5.7 and a 700R4 for a whopping $500. I spent pretty much the same amount changing all seals and adding a cam and shift kit. The wiring is ridiculously simple even when reusing the factory Jag gauges. I sold the shell for $400 so the entire drivetrain with ECU, Harness, all accessories and driveshaft cost me $100 While the 88 still runs and drives, my plan is to install this combo and sell the factory drivetrain to someone that has the time and money to remain a purist ( PM me if any of you are interested). You can make mounts for under $100 or buy them for around $400 and the driveshaft mod is under $150 so all else is labor. I keep hearing over and over that it costs more to convert a car than to keep the V12 running well, I'm sorry but I do not understand how that could ever be true for a car that actually gets driven. Spend the time doing the conversion right up front and enjoy driving the damn car. There are some UGLY conversions out there, I won't lie. I'm also looking forward to not having to wipe up oil leaks from my garage once the V12 is out. How many converted cars are on the forums? If any in South Florida, let me know

The following 2 users liked this post by kmarajh:
Flint Ironstag (07-13-2017), ronbros (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

[QUOTE=JagCad;1715512]

2. If Chevrolet is beneath the "dignity' of a Jaguar owner, just get an LT1 sourced from a Buick Road Master or Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

ok, that's funny, I don't care who you are!

I don't see any point of replacing a mechanically sound V12, but if the motor is shot, you can save the car with a SBC, at a pretty attractive price. I am in the process of completing a sbC installation into a 73 240Z. That one needed an engine too.

ronbros (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

When electric motors get cheap, reliable, and efficient enough, they will kill the SBC conversion market. Tune some electric motors to mimic a massaged V12's power delivery characteristics, SILENTLY, and a lot of old exotics will get this revival.

ronbros (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Check Bryson at the XJ6 list!!!

Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
When electric motors get cheap, reliable, and efficient enough, they will kill the SBC conversion market. Tune some electric motors to mimic a massaged V12's power delivery characteristics, SILENTLY, and a lot of old exotics will get this revival.
They already are Flint. It is when batteries get cheap, light, easily and quickly rechargeable, and with enough capacity to do 500 miles that the IC engine will be in trouble.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Flint Ironstag (07-14-2017), ronbros (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
They already are Flint. It is when batteries get cheap, light, easily and quickly rechargeable, and with enough capacity to do 500 miles that the IC engine will be in trouble.
in 2040 no IC engined vehicles will be allowed to be sold in France.

Renault engineers say that by 2020 70% of all EU vehicles must be electric in order to meet Paris accord goals. 100% by 2030 and they must be 30% lighter on average.

Its coming, and faster than you'd expect.

Here in 'merica, by 2020 we must transition to 60% coal / whale oil vehicles to pick up the slack for the EU not helping with our global sweater plan.

Flint Ironstag (07-26-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by JigJag
in 2040 no IC engined vehicles will be allowed to be sold in France.

Renault engineers say that by 2020 70% of all EU vehicles must be electric in order to meet Paris accord goals. 100% by 2030 and they must be 30% lighter on average.

Its coming, and faster than you'd expect.

Here in 'merica, by 2020 we must transition to 60% coal / whale oil vehicles to pick up the slack for the EU not helping with our global sweater plan.
Well, if Trump wants to, he can set a few mines on fire... That should help. I mean, as long as someone can bring a snowball into congress, well, that means it isn't warm enough!

Old 07-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Kinda messy and wasteful. But, coal can be burned and the "smoke" be used to fuel an IC engine.

By along way, coal is not the best of fuels. I'll avoid the politics. But, the economics of an on/off would be painful to more than a few. Transition, much better.

And, I think most if not all of "our" coal is anthracite. A bit cleaner burning than the "briquettes" of "soft coal that I remember.

Off to lunch.

Carl

ronbros (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

absolutely Electric cars are coming!

the guy that does the Elec. Mustang says he can do my XJS,full electric, for around $75 K, that may sound like a lot , but parts are not that cheap/cost.

batteries are the biggest cost(at this time,says they are getting better and cheaper!)

OH Yes,, that would be so kool, silent driving, so gotta plug it in overnight anyway!

i dont go anywhere far as it is, and a ride in his Mustang shocked me(pun intended), FAASSST, 100mph in 5sec.

i'm not sure my Flexible flyer roadster would be happy with that much torque, 1800ft.lbs.

Last edited by ronbros; 07-14-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Flint Ironstag (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Battery technology is the issue, I regularly do a 1200km trip in one day and could not do this in an EV.

Also what do these politicians think is going to happen to all the heavy metals and other hazardous contents of all these EV batteries when they are dead, probably end up in land fill.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Flint Ironstag (07-14-2017), ronbros (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

same as Nuclear waste stuff , maybe someway to recycle some of it!

times they are achangin.

Norway is now about 90% electric vehicles, but they get 75% Hydro power from snowmelt from the mountains, cheap electric power.

course that wouldnt work in the Arab countries,(DESERTS).

Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
Battery technology is the issue, I regularly do a 1200km trip in one day and could not do this in an EV.

Also what do these politicians think is going to happen to all the heavy metals and other hazardous contents of all these EV batteries when they are dead, probably end up in land fill.
It's not just the politicians Warren, they're being influenced big time by the city dwelling zealots who travel 30 minutes each way to somewhere and reckon they've done it tough.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

soap box time: back around 7/10yrs , some of the super rich types and some politicians.

got together for a private meeting about this silly climate stuff, and polutain problems!

they say they have the power to make changes , a simple way would be to do away with personal transportion vehicles, only have mass transit stuff.

NOW, many people would not like that idea, But it has some merit, and it would reduce polution problems!

what say about future thinking from another kind of people!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

are we off topic here???? AHHH so be it.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Back on topic - there's been plenty of discussion, what did OP decide?

Old 07-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

my v8 swap is now completely functional still not what i would call done, still needs some general tidying up and a little more fiddling, but car is completely functional.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
same as Nuclear waste stuff , maybe someway to recycle some of it!

times they are achangin.

Norway is now about 90% electric vehicles, but they get 75% Hydro power from snowmelt from the mountains, cheap electric power.

course that wouldnt work in the Arab countries,(DESERTS).
Iceland has a 100% regenerative energy production. Geothermal activities help an awful lot.

Nuclear waste is only an issue today, because the companies running these plants prefered to keep the profits instead of investing into development of a way to dispose or even recycle these former rods etc. Technically, if the proper modern thorium reactors are used, nuclear plants are safer than anything else out there.

I can't see an electric future without the backbone of nuclear powerplants. Germany has agreed to close down ALL nuclear plants by 2020. No, not to replace them with regenerative power sources... No, but instead new brown coal (soft coal) will be burned... What a great idea. Local emissions are kept to a minimum in an electrical car, but the power stations will produce disgusting amounts of CO2 AND emit poisonous emissions containing mercury, arsen, etc.

As an individual, I'd love to return to steam power. Most power stations/plants still use steam, why not the car? Use the Doble setup and run it on some eco fuel (chip fat, sunflower oil, etc.) and you'd have an awesome powerful car... Steam is even today still the most powerful form of traction. Quite embarassing for our "modern" world... Shows how far forward we are to lets say 1850 Power plants still heat water to turn a turbine to make electricity. So technically, as we shall all be turning to the electric car some time, we'll be going steam again...

Former GDR "minister president" Erich Honecker said once: "Vorwärts immer! Rückwärts nimmer!"

This translates, loosely, to "forwards always, backwards never!" and he's right! We are going forwards but haven't even gone far enough forwards to get anywhere to go backwards

Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Indeed, steam is interesting. In 1955, my family and I moved from El Paso, Texas to El Centro, Ca, via Los Angeles. One of the last runs of Southern Pacific's Day light special. Comfy accomodations. Great scenery. And drawn by a big engine, steam!!!

a a

Old 07-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

After you're done putting the Chevy engine into the XJS, put the V12 into a '67 Camaro.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pawsnclaws:
Doug (07-22-2017), ronbros (09-06-2017)