XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Compatible parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Pif
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compatible parts

Right now the XJS is not running, and I while I intend to keep things mostly original, I'm willing to source parts from the junk yard. I've been told that there are many GM parts in *some* XJS', but not all.

Right now, I need to patch up my EFI harness. Some connectors are alright, but there are several that are just totally cooked. When it last ran, it was shorting and the injectors were dumping fuel constantly. 9.4L of "oil" plus an unknown amount of gas almost filled my 11L oil pan. I had only run it a few times before I drained it. It's been sitting about 6 months since.

Where can I source EFI connectors? Used preferably, but new wouldn't be bad if the price was right.

My second dilemma, are the brakes. They did not work at all when I got the car. The master cylinder had a bunch of rusty muck in it when I pulled it off, and I've been hesitant to invest time in dissasembling it further.

If I were to just just the MC, I would probably look at replacing the brake booster is well. Is there anything that just swaps in? Or would a custom bracket have to be made?

My Jaguar is a 1985 XJS HE.

Appreciate the help fellas!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

I just finished completly rebuilding my injector wiring harness. I got the connectors from NAPA, they had to order them but it only took a few days to get them in. Also got the electrical clips from them. They were not exactly cheap, but figuring this would be a job I would do but once I didn't mind the price. I really can't recall what they cost...I bought too much stuff all at the same time to be clear on that.

If you look in Kirby's book, he gives the part #'s for the connectors and electrical clips.

Can't help with the brake stuff, not been down that road yet.

Good luck with it,

John
1987 XJ-S V12, 62,000 miles

Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Here's 8 of 'em for $19.95

8 PC s Fuel Injector Connector Bosch Lucas EV1 New Free Shipping | eBay

Order two sets of 8 and you'll have some extras for the coolant and air temp sensors

Cheers
DD

Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Pif
My second dilemma, are the brakes. They did not work at all when I got the car. The master cylinder had a bunch of rusty muck in it when I pulled it off, and I've been hesitant to invest time in dissasembling it further.

If I were to just just the MC, I would probably look at replacing the brake booster is well. Is there anything that just swaps in? Or would a custom bracket have to be made?

My Jaguar is a 1985 XJS HE.

Appreciate the help fellas!
The booster is VERY unlikely to be bad. Buy a new M/C, it bolts easily on. Prepare yourself for the shock of also buying four new calipers and three new flexibles, and four new discs!. Bolt them all on, bleed the system, and off you go! Obviously you may not need everything, but even if you do, it is not absolutely ruinously expensive, Rockauto often have calipers really cheap, and discs are cheap even over here.

The rear discs and calipers (inboard) are a pain to change, as it basically means dropping the axle cage. But much better than running out of brakes...

Greg

Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Brake parts

Hi PIF, just across the Bay in Saint John NB here. -I've got an '89 XJS, just had the rear end completely(almost) rebuilt by an excellent mechanic in Sussex. -I agree with the previous poster, do it right, flush out your brake system, buy new and be done, parts were not really more expensive than domestic. I bought most brake parts from NAPA, have listings for all parts. Do the calipers, rotors, main rear pads plus the e-pads. Check the flex hoses, mine were good.
While the rear cage was down, I also replaced the shocks (I used KONI), and rear main springs, as I had a slight sag.
No regrets, now all tickety-boo.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Jag cage down.bmp (99.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: bmp
Jag Cage painted.bmp (99.4 KB, 99 views)