XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Convertable top wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile Convertable top wear

My top has an area about the size of a silver dollar near the bottom corner of the back window that looks as if it was rubbing on something and is worn, but not through. It appears that the PO tried to seal it from the under side but not sure what he used. I've only had it in the rain on two occasions and it does not appear to leak. Is there any way to do anything on the outer side to seal the top in that area. The remainder of the top is in very good condition and as I do not use the car in bad weather, I want to put off replacing the top as long as possible. Thanks in advance for any input.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,745 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by DabsJag
My top has an area about the size of a silver dollar near the bottom corner of the back window that looks as if it was rubbing on something and is worn, but not through. It appears that the PO tried to seal it from the under side but not sure what he used. I've only had it in the rain on two occasions and it does not appear to leak. Is there any way to do anything on the outer side to seal the top in that area. The remainder of the top is in very good condition and as I do not use the car in bad weather, I want to put off replacing the top as long as possible. Thanks in advance for any input.
The Common problem with this model, is when the Top is being lowered, the 'hood hoops' rub onto the back of the seats.

This in turn can cause the fabric to wear.

So in order to prevent it from getting any worse, you have to lower it bit by bit and in between doing so push the hoop down with your hand, to make sure the hoop

has cleared the back of the seat, before you finish lowering it completely.

If you can find a good hood repairer they may be able to sew a new section in but if its not that bad, then if it were me I would leave it how it is.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I am gonna be honest here. I have owned two convertibles and my dad has owned probably close to 100. 20 years is more than enough life out of a top. It is just part of owning a convertible.

I am not saying don't take care of it, but don't be heart broken when it needs to be replaced and don't trick yourself into thinking it doesn't need to be replaced. If you really can't figure out where is rubbing, get some water soluble chalk used on fabrics, you can get it at any hobby or fabric store, and rub it thoroughly on the place being rubbed. Cycle the top and look for where it smears off. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with potentially finding a way to reduce wear, just that everyone should be more realistic about convertible tops.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 10-14-2014 at 12:40 AM.