XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Convertible Headliner install help

Old 05-21-2019, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Convertible Headliner install help

Gents;

I keep on saving the necessary funds to install a new top on my XJS but unfortunately other things keep on coming up. Current top is not torn or have holes, but it has slight fraying on some edges and looks a bit discolored.....I can live with this a little bit longer, but what is really intolerable is that the headliner foam is falling apart and it looks like some of the cables are loose.

As a stop-gap measure, I am thinking I can try and replace the headliner and cables myself. If I start paying someone to do it, it defeats the entire purpose. The headliner is 160 on eBay and I am sure those cables can be had cheaply.

Let me say, that years ago I tried replacing the headliner myself. It was a mess, but I rushed and lost patience. I ended up taking the car to a trim shop.

So is it possible I can do my own headliner and fix the cables easily myself? Anyone tried either one of these? It would probably hold me over this year at the least. It has to look good but not be perfect. Maybe the cables are not worth it until a full new top goes in? Can the current cables be adjusted ?

any advice welcome

Last edited by Spikepaga; 05-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 296 Posts

I believe up to '93 that entailed taking the complete top off. Later cars the headlining is separate from the top an should be an "easier" task.

Last edited by malc4d; 05-22-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d View Post
I believe up to '93 that entailed taking the complete top off. Later cars the headlining is separate from the top an should be an "easier" task.
Thanks for your reply and the attachment. Problem is that itís currently so messed up, that I think itís become detached from places etc. basically, when I take the old headliner out, I wonít be able to figure out how the new one should go back in.

As I mentioned, it need not be 100 percent concours, as this would be a 160 dollar cure to hold me over from spending the close to 2000 it will take to get everything professionally done right now. I canít really take the top down as the headliner foam falls apart into dust if I move it...........I wish I had the skills to do the outer top myself, but if past experience is any indicator, that would turn out horribly.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 957 Likes on 762 Posts

Mark,

I appreciate that you want the interior looking smart but I think it would be so much easier to do the whole thing in one go, particularly if you're talking about replacing cables etc. You'll probably need new straps and cables so it seems a really false economy to try and do cables and headliner now and then have to strip everything again next year to do the top.

I'm surprised at the estimate of $2000 to have it all done. Tops are about £400, headliner £160. My trimmer in the UK will probably charge £400 labour to strip old, fit new cables, hood and headliner. I'm getting it all done later this year.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Paul

Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1 View Post
Mark,

I appreciate that you want the interior looking smart but I think it would be so much easier to do the whole thing in one go, particularly if you're talking about replacing cables etc. You'll probably need new straps and cables so it seems a really false economy to try and do cables and headliner now and then have to strip everything again next year to do the top.

I'm surprised at the estimate of $2000 to have it all done. Tops are about £400, headliner £160. My trimmer in the UK will probably charge £400 labour to strip old, fit new cables, hood and headliner. I'm getting it all done later this year.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Paul
Hi Paul-

The top sells for close to 400 dollars here, the headliner 160, perhaps 200 in parts and the rest would be labor. Total would certainly be above 1500.00- up to 2,000 unless I find a trimmer who charges a very low cost for his labor, (that is 1,186 sterling at the very low end).....so if I am able to do the headliner and the big rear cable myself at 160 dollars for the headliner and 30 for the cable, thatís only 200 dollars (160 sterling) at the most......itís certainly worth doing to have foam dust falling anytime I open or close the top , and itís 10x less in immediate cost.

If anyone knows a lower cost upholstery/trim guy in Houston, by all means let me know, but everyone here wants 800 dollars plus just for labor.