XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

A Couple of frustrating light issues I need help with

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A Couple of frustrating light issues I need help with

1. Brake Lights:
these were out when I bought the car. Replaced the 15A fuse in the right fuse box and that solved the problem for a bit. I've now blown the fuse twice more. I found out in tracing it down that the stop light relay was not correct so i replaced it. First I used the existing blue relay swamped from the unused front fog lights and then got a new black correct relay. I also changed out the taillight/brake light bulb for new ones. This is scary to me because I don't generally know when the fuse has blown and I don't have brake lights. Any ideas?

2. Parking Lights:
Both front bulbs were not lit when I got the car. They must have been burned out because changing them fixed the problem. Both blinkers and parking light were of course effected. My bulb failure light is back on and the only bulbs not lit with lights on are the front parking lights. However, they light with the hazards. What would cause the hazards but not the front parking lights to work?

TIA,
Tony

Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
1. Brake Lights:
these were out when I bought the car. Replaced the 15A fuse in the right fuse box and that solved the problem for a bit. I've now blown the fuse twice more. I found out in tracing it down that the stop light relay was not correct so i replaced it. First I used the existing blue relay swamped from the unused front fog lights and then got a new black correct relay. I also changed out the taillight/brake light bulb for new ones. This is scary to me because I don't generally know when the fuse has blown and I don't have brake lights. Any ideas?
Check the hand brake switch as this is also in the brake cct that feeds from the brake light fuse, (according to my circuit diagram)

Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
2. Parking Lights:
Both front bulbs were not lit when I got the car. They must have been burned out because changing them fixed the problem. Both blinkers and parking light were of course effected. My bulb failure light is back on and the only bulbs not lit with lights on are the front parking lights. However, they light with the hazards. What would cause the hazards but not the front parking lights to work?

TIA,
Tony
Check the grounding bad earths can cause all sorts of weird light problems. Have you seen those old cars with the lights on where the driver applies the brakes and all of the rear lights go dim - BAD EARTH -

Old 07-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with checking the grounds. My 1990 had similar problems and it wasn't till I cleaned all the ground wires that my problem was solved. Even if the ground looks OK clean it anyway. I thought mine looked fine but it was still the culprit. One side was actually grounded through the bolt instead of directly against the body. Once I sanded a little paint away and put it directly against the frame it worked fine.

Good luck!
Dan
1990 XJS convertible V12 Marelli

Old 07-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Yes sanding back to bare metal is the only way, also use a good marine elecrical moisture sealant to prevent corroding.