XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

To Cover, or Not to Cover, That is the Question (Outdoors Storage)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts
Question To Cover, or Not to Cover, That is the Question (Outdoors Storage)

TL;DR version: I know outdoors storage is far from ideal, but I hope it won't be for too long. So basically, my question is really aimed at anyone else who parks their regular-use XJS outdoors - to cover or not to cover?

NTL;R* version: Apologies if this is duplicating stuff, but I've read a few threads on the pros and cons of car covers, and the consensus seems to be that even a good one will wreak havoc with your paint. However, as I will be forced to park outside, without any shelter, for the time being (hopefully no longer than a year to 18 months), I do wonder if paint scratches are preferable to rust and/or water leaking in.

I intend to use the car as a more or less daily driver - several times a week, minimum (probably daily for the fun of it at first, to be honest), and all that taking off and putting on a cover is not only a hassle, but exposes the paint to more scratches (especially when you fold it up and aren't careful enough about keeping the outside away from the inside). But if a cover does genuinely help prevent rust and/or leaks, then it seems to be worth it even if the paint suffers a bit. The question is, how serious an issue is rust going to be? (Fading paint is probably not a major issue - my city is not noted for its sunniness.)

I do intend to get one of those fancy glass coatings or nano coatings or whatever they are called in different parts of the world, and get the underside Waxoyled before winter (although salt isn't used here), and wonder if that would be enough, coupled with regular use and washing, to keep the worst of the damage from the elements at bay without needing to go for a cover.

For what it's worth, over here a LOT of people park outdoors, with no protection at all - and if they do have protection, it's usually only a carport or similar. Full-on garages are rare. But then again, the cars tend to be Toyotas or Hondas about five years old on average, so presumably better able to withstand the elements. My current DD, while now parked under a shelter (too small to fit an XJS), is 18 years old and only now starting to show a few small specks of rust on the paintjob, despite never having been washed or waxed in the nine years I've owned it. So I'm not sure how prevalent rust is in general, without the salted roads you get in the UK and northern US/Canada. Ice is not a problem, either.

*Not Too Long; Read

Old 06-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I generally like to keep keep my daily driver car covered while it is parked outside overnight at home. I use an inexpensive Budge brand cover. They are water resistant but not waterproof. I am trying to reduce sun exposure and damage. Also I park under trees which host thoughtless messy birds at times. Since this is a daily used car their isn't much chance for long term moisture build up. I use a car mop to remove dust build up. During the rainy season I don't cover the car because the cover just gets soaked. At work I'm lucky to park under the solar panel carports that were recently erected. A long time ago I used to cover my car while I was at work, since it was just sitting out in a parking lot. It seems a little too **** to do that now, though a parking garage is available for a price.

You don't want to use something that will trap moisture under it, like a large tarp. My XJS convertible is parked in my driveway and has some damage to the top. During the rains I covered the top with a small tarp to prevent leakage and used an inexpensive cover to allow moisture to evaporate. Also it looks better than a car under a tarp to my neighbors! It's not the ideal solution but it will have to do for now. I think that a car port is fine, maybe even one of those tent like portable garages. It is true that a car cover can lead to wearing or scratching of the paint due to dust or abrasion, but you have to choose the lesser of many evils. Don't forget that cars are designed to be operated and stored outside and a new car will look good for years. We can extend that period for many more years with a little care.

The following users liked this post:
Some Day, Some Day (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

I have kept XJS outside without any cover since its purchase in Oct 2014.
Bodywork was in reasonable condition when I bought it with 77000 miles on.
Twenty months on with total mileage 101000 miles, driven every day in all weather (live in UK) it's still in good condition. The car gets washed once per two weeks on average, never felt need for a cover.
Tried to protect paintwork by having a go at claying then used Meguires ultimate synthetic wax for protection every six months

Old 06-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Mine stod 18 months outside in wind and weather with no cover. Result: no damage. No more rust than there was before. Only the brake discs and pads need to be replaced...

Old 06-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I've used a cover for some years now and have never had any paint damage. IMO, the three key elements are:

- Buy a really good quality cover. Don't us a cheap plastic / nylon one. That will damage your paint, trap any moisture etc. Buy a really good 4-5 layer that is waterproof but can breathe out moisture.

- Never put the cover on if the car is wet or if the car is anything less than really clean. If it's wet or at all dirty, just leave the cover off.

- Use the slip-on nylon wheel covers that you can buy, even if just for the front wheels. The dirt that most covers seem to get on the inside seems to mainly come from exhaust pipes or the tyres. I use the wheel covers and just stick a plastic bag over each exhaust pipe.

I think it's definitely worth using a good quality cover.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Paul

Old 06-26-2016, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi

I would be in favour of putting a Car Cover on, not just to keep the 'Rust Bug' at bay but also to stop your Car getting Scratched, by Cats and Birds as well as careless people walking past her.

But you must buy the right kind of Cover, not an 'el cheapo' one.

I bought a 'Noah' Cover from Cover Craft and its been on my Car for 16 years!

In wind/rain/snow and everything else in between but also kept under a Car Port, which I suppose must have helped.

I paid around £200 for the Cover 16 years ago and the Cover Still looks like New and so does my Car, which all barring a disaster will be back on the road this year.

£200 was a 'big hit' at the time but probably one of the best investments I have ever made.

Covercraft Custom Fit Car Covers - Covercraft Europe

Some Day, Some Day (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all your replies. I'm especially interested in those from people who haven't used covers (it's hard to tell how your car would have fared rust-wise if you hadn't used a cover if you actually did use a cover). I've heard elsewhere that putting a cover on a dirty car (how dirty is dirty? Presumably anything large enough to scratch the paint, which is a tall order in terms of keeping it clean) is a bad idea, and certainly I wouldn't dream of getting an el cheapo one. I've checked out that Noah type, and £200 is not a problem now the pound has fallen through the floor (thanks, Brexit!), though the shipping adds a chunk onto that. So I might see if there are equivalents over this side of the world. I don't have a convertible and it's the facelifted (and somewhat more rust-resistant) version, at least.

I think, weighing up the answers here with other comments I have seen, that a cover for longer-term storage (several days to a week+) while leaving it out when used most days probably makes most sense. And cover carefully in winter to keep the snow off.
So thanks very much for your input, everybody.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Default Those of a 'Nervous Disposition' may want to look away now!

Hi SDSD

Are you absolutely sure you want to see this?

This is a Genuine Photo, the only remaining copy taken on a 1 mp Camera (or maybe less)

Of a very nice Jaguar which I was planning to sell in order to buy one of different colour.

Well looked after MOT Service History.

Those of a Nervous Disposition, had better look away now!

In the end I didn't sell her and couldn't give her away, as there were loads of them around and the running and repairing costs were absolutely horrendous! and still are.

This was my first XJS and my knowledge of how to look after them or maintain them was Zero!

So since I had the money to buy another one, I parked her up and didn't even put a Cover on her.

I'm really hanging my head in shame but I know better now, especially since I had paid £3,250 for that little beauty, which turned out to be a dog and which I had no idea how to fix when it went wrong, so in the end I scrapped her.

It Rained and Then this happened!

What time did you say your Cover was arriving?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-26-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

No worries - that'll buff right out. A bit of Polyfilla and no one'll ever know.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
No worries - that'll buff right out. A bit of Polyfilla and no one'll ever know.
You mean you don't think that I have never tried that (LOl)

Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Yo, xjs daily driver in florida here that has to park outside.

Really good covers are a waste of money unless it is already in a garage, they will get dirty and you won't be able to get them clean completely.

Crap tier isn't worth it either, they often peel apart or are hardly waterproof.

Seems to me that mid-crap tier is where it is at, usually $40-80. It will only last 1-2 years, but you won't be heart broken the day you get it so dirty that it can't be fixed. Always get waterproof. The PVC ones are nice because they are actually waterproof, fabric ones have waterproofing that wears out after about a 1 year or so.

All the tiny scratches in the world can be fixed with some buffing, but UV damage on plastics and the interior can't be fixed so easily. Take it from me, I have been lazy and cheap enough to let it happen. Sure, it is a pain in the *** when water gets trapped under the cover or big dust splotches form, but it is hella better than claying off sap or frowning at your torn back seat stitching. If I had kept it more consistently covered, I would have had another couple years before the clear coat starting failing.

TLDR, the downside is way less than the upside. By a cheap WATERPROOF cover, since it will go bad eventually or get ruined and keep it on whenever the car is parked somewhere for hours (work, home, school, etc). Keep the car clean and the cover clean and it won't get scratched, if it does it will buff out easy. The sun is a worse enemy than some scratches.

Some Day, Some Day (06-28-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 10:55 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine came with car cover emblazoned with the Jaguar logo. I used to use it regularly, but now I reserve its use for days when the weather is either going to be terribly hot or rainy.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Stargazer XJS
Mine came with car cover emblazoned with the Jaguar logo. I used to use it regularly, but now I reserve its use for days when the weather is either going to be terribly hot or rainy.

I bought and interior cover I use at work with the top down...
makes coming out to get in it a lot more pleasant... no hot seats and keeps tree dander out of the car...

Old 06-29-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Remember to have fun putting the cover on after a fresh coat of wax

Old 06-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

I cover my daily XJS whenever it's parked. No sense in risking it. Well worth the extra hassle. I also use a water resistant budge cover, the brown one, the blue ones are worthless.