XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The Curse of the "Previous Owner"...arrrgg!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by baxtor
The PO installed the a/c compressor switch for the wrong reason but it is not such a bad idea to install a switch anyway. The compressor normally runs whenever the fan switch is on regardless of whether you want heat or cold.
Switch can be easily hidden and must surely reduce unnecessary wear and tear on the system.

Ahhh.... the old "switch hidden in the ashtray" trick!

I can see how that mod can have some benefits but whenever I buy a used car the first thing I want to do is restore all of the systems to their original condition. That way I know everything works as it was designed and helps to eliminate guesswork when I'm troubleshooting a problem.

If I do make a mod I try to maintain as much of the original system as possible unless the mod is a clear improvement over stock and does not affect any other systems.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Agree. Many cars have the AC compressor on/off switch, including my venerable Grand Cherokee Jeep.

As the AC in my Jaguar is inactive, the wiore to the compressor is unplugged.

Carl

Old 06-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,995 Likes on 5,311 Posts

Not XJS, but has suffered the curse of the Previous Owner so here goes....

When we looked at my car before husband forked over the cash, the PO said with a straight face, "Everything works." Anyone here ever heard that??

But when we got specific, and asked about certain components, "The radio doesn't work." (that was because the power was never connected to the back of the radio!).

"The cruise control doesn't work," (because the switch only had 2 inches of wires before they were cut off!).

"The electric seat doesn't work," (for the same reason, not connected to power!)

"Don't open the sun roof," (because it's only for show and has no mechanism!).

"Don't put the rear windows down," (because they hadn't moved in 30 years and were 'glued' in place!)

The only thing he was totally honest about was the AC got cold. But when Winter came my feet froze off because the dampers in the fan boxes didn't close so there was no heat.

In the first 6 months I owned this car I addressed no fewer than 77 items that were either maladjusted, missing, bent, broken, disconnected, or otherwise just plain Wrong!!

Over this past 7 months we've been virtually rebuilding the car, bringing it up to a proper operational condition and we're not done yet!

I have pronounced a curse on that man's house SO many times even I'm astonished!
(';')