XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Door lock problems (cant open the door!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door lock problems (cant open the door!)

My English is not so good so be patient...

This car is a XJS from -90 - imported from Spain.

Well at home there occurs a new problem after a new.
The one that is critical for the origin inspection is that the LH door lock is capput. You cannot open the door from outside - hardly from inside either. As I remember it - the car is nor ours and is parked somewhere else.

We got out the interier clothing - released down the window to be able to get out the lock assembly - partnumers for this parts are:
Inside lock: BD43267
Outside lock: BDC8537

For us it looks like the pin in the outside lock is loosen. It is wiggling.
BUT - as we have NO experience with these cars - I got unsure.

Maby it is normal and the problem is in the lifting arm on the inside lock or in the handel it self (as it look like when I'm looking at it in the car - in the Picture on this site it does not look same: Door Handle, Lock and Solenoid-From (V) 148782 - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

My question is: what parts do I need to help the problem? Is it number 12 on this site:
Door Lock Remote Control - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Or do I find the missing part on this site:
Door Handle, Lock and Solenoid-From (V) 148782 - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Would be wery thankfull for all your expertise - specially when this car seems to have been a bit of a disappointment.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

I think that these points are worth looking at:

1. The inside handle WILL open the door. Therefore it is a linkage problem, not the actual lock part fixed to the door (part 11 in your diagram).
  2. First lubricate all the mechanism with WD 40 and operate the inside handle many times to loosen the mechanism. This can be done with the door open, use a screwdriver to operate the lock mechanism on the outside of the door.
  3. The link from the outside door handle to the lock mechanism on the door is probably your problem. This is part numbers 9 and 10 on this diagram Door Handle, Lock and Solenoid-To (V) 148781 - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK
  4. Ask a friend to operate the outside handle while you look at the inside and see where the lost motion in the mechanism is. There are small fixings which hold the operating rods between the outside handle and the lock which have plastic bits to hold the rod ends into the handle and the lock. Part number 11 on the diagram. These break or fall out.
  5. When you identify on your car the rod from the outside handle that opens the door (No 9 I think) find out why it is not doing so: This is your problem.
Good luck. Be prepared to work at the car. It is a 23 year old supercar that has inevitably been neglected by previous owners. If you work at understanding the car and fixing it yourself with all the help that the great people here will give, after a year or two you will have a reliable car that you understand, that will be one of the best cars, if not THE best car, you will ever drive. If you do not feel you want a hobby car such as this, sell it and no hard feelings!

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 12-11-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 AM

Thank You Greg in France

The first thing we started by was to ”drown” all the mechanics in WD40.

And the linkage clip (no 11 on that diagram) HAD gone broken. When we found out that, we tried to replace it with a clip from a Saab 900 (we have a punch of them at home). But this one is all in plastic. So it is a bit too big – probably this that is the problem now.
It takes against the release link (no 9) where it angels 90 degrees.

So to be sure that the door could still be opened from the inside handle - I went by the Jaguar at the former neighbours house, when I did some errands – but I forgot that the lock it self was left at my place.
But I could see that when I pushed in the handle on the outside – the linkage did not get as far up as when I pulled the inside handle. It was not much it differed – but obviously enough.

In my contact with Jaguar Classic Parts I found out that they did not have these clips to purchase but they gave me three other options to contact. Witch I have done.
But there must be other car brands that have the same clip in they locks? Do you or anybody else have a clue?

Now to your last comment =O)
The funny thing is – that after all this “small” maters appeared – we told to our friend that he MUST try to sell this car immediately! And hope to find somebody who knows what they are doing!
His first wish (?) was to register it in Sweden, get new lights and – drive it for sometime himself and then sell. Absolutely NOT for a year or two =O)
He does by and sell cars for hobby. Without any knowledge of the usual problems that a particular car brand might have.
But he can NOTHING about cars – he cannot fix anything anywhere and he is quit ill.
In our mind a big fool in other words.
So – I will copy you comment in the end. Translate it to Swedish (he does not understand English) and give it to the car owner - just to show that me and my husband weren’t so wrong after al!

Most cars today have been owned by people who have NO idea of how much a car needs to be taken care of. The older the car the better you have to care for it!

This Jaguar has been owned in Spain by a “rich mans young son” who got tired of it – or what we been told. I understood soon that they must have gotten rid of because of its condition – simply. They have taken the **** out of it. Just wonder how the motor is doing… Or, I DON’T want to know =O)

You can see that I'm a bit tired of people at times =O)

Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 AM
The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (12-11-2013)