XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Driving with parking brake engaged

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Driving with parking brake engaged

I have recently inherited a very clean, low mileage 1993 XJS, 6 cyl, convertible. And I've been getting familiar with the car via a few nice drives around town.

One issue, which I believe is a bit of a design deficiency, is the parking brake. The handle does not stay up when the parking brake is engaged, so you have no easily visible indication that it is engaged. And the warning light is not very bright, especially on a sunny day with the top down. A warning buzzer would be much better if the car is put into drive with the brake on. I realize that it would be difficult to get into/out of the car with the parking brake handle in the up position. And that is probably why it retracts after being engaged.

About 3 times now, I have forgotten that the parking brake is on after lowering the convertible top (I guess the Brits call it the hood?). The parking brake has to be engaged before you can lower the top. But it takes a few minutes to put the protective boot over the retracted top. And when I get back in, I forget to release the parking brake.

The first 2 times it happened, I had only driven a couple of blocks when I remembered it was on.

But today, I drove for probably 20 miles, at speeds up to about 50 mph, and didn't remember until near the end of my drive.

I have purchased what seems to be about the only service manual available. It cost nearly $100, but I find it to be very poor in many respects. The section on the parking brake is very miniscule. And I cannot determine the configuration of the parking brake from the manual.

Looking online, it appears that there are parking brake pads for sale, which roughly resemble small disc brake pads. They do not look like drum brake shoes.

Do the parking brake pads engage the same discs as the rear brakes (which are inboard on my car)? If so, are they on both sides, or just one side?

How tolerant is that part of the braking system to the abuse I exposed it to? Is it likely that I have fried some components? I didn't hear or smell anything, and braking appeared normal in other respects.

I'm hoping that there is enough mass of metal involved to dissipate the heat generated by the parking brake pads before real damage is done. And perhaps the parking brakes did not really engage strongly the way they were originally adjusted. And perhaps they are small enough to wear quickly and relieve the pressure that was applied when the parking brake was set.

I realize it is probably pretty difficult to say with any certainty what the damage, if any, is likely to be. But I suspect I'm not the first one to leave the parking brake set due to the lake of a very positive indication it is on.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Greg,

Sorry to hear of your difficulty. I guess this is your first experience of a fly-off handbrake as fitted to many sports cars?

With practice and more regular use of the car, you'll get used to just gently pulling up the lever every time you go to start off in the car because then you can feel if there is an tension at the beginning of the pull. If there is no tension, the handbrake is on.

As regards service manual, the only manual for a facelift XJS is the official parts and service manual from Jaguar on DVD It used to be £25 from Jaguar Heritage but I think that recently they have stopped producing the one for your car in place of a more comprehensive one covering all XJS models. You can probably find the old one for your car on ebay. The part number is JHM 1127. An alternative is JHM 1134 which also covers your car. If you do need to buy the new manual, you can purchase from Jaguar Heritage here:

Jaguar Heritage. DVD's

The section on the handbrake in the manual is pretty good. It describes the handbrake caliper, replacement of pads, adjustment of handbrake etc etc.

As regards damage, you may well be lucky and not done much except wear the pads down a bit. The worst damage would be if the heat build-up in the disc has burnt the diff seals but I expect that this would be extremely unlikely just driving with the handbrake on for a few miles.

Good luck with the car. I'm sure you'll grow to love it!

Paul

The following users liked this post:
GSHastings (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by GSHastings
I have recently inherited a very clean, low mileage 1993 XJS, 6 cyl, convertible. And I've been getting familiar with the car via a few nice drives around town.

Congrtulations !

One issue, which I believe is a bit of a design deficiency, is the parking brake. The handle does not stay up when the parking brake is engaged, so you have no easily visible indication that it is engaged. And the warning light is not very bright, especially on a sunny day with the top down. A warning buzzer would be much better if the car is put into drive with the brake on.

A buzzer could be installed fairly easily

I realize that it would be difficult to get into/out of the car with the parking brake handle in the up position. And that is probably why it retracts after being engaged.

Exactly

About 3 times now, I have forgotten that the parking brake is on after lowering the convertible top (I guess the Brits call it the hood?). The parking brake has to be engaged before you can lower the top. But it takes a few minutes to put the protective boot over the retracted top. And when I get back in, I forget to release the parking brake.

Well, one idea is to do as I do: set the handbrake each and every time you exit the car and, obviously, release it each time you drive it. The routine easily becomes a habit....no memory required !

I have purchased what seems to be about the only service manual available. It cost nearly $100, but I find it to be very poor in many respects. The section on the parking brake is very miniscule. And I cannot determine the configuration of the parking brake from the manual.

Looking online, it appears that there are parking brake pads for sale, which roughly resemble small disc brake pads. They do not look like drum brake shoes.

Do the parking brake pads engage the same discs as the rear brakes (which are inboard on my car)? If so, are they on both sides, or just one side?

Right, the handbrakes have their own pads and calipers but they engage the same discs as the driving brakes

How tolerant is that part of the braking system to the abuse I exposed it to? Is it likely that I have fried some components? I didn't hear or smell anything, and braking appeared normal in other respects.

I'm hoping that there is enough mass of metal involved to dissipate the heat generated by the parking brake pads before real damage is done. And perhaps the parking brakes did not really engage strongly the way they were originally adjusted. And perhaps they are small enough to wear quickly and relieve the pressure that was applied when the parking brake was set.

When in good working order and fully applied the handbrake grips very well and the resulting heat would've likely destroyed the pads. But, in that scenario, you would've realized something was wrong before you drove 5 feet.

Since your handbrake appears to have been only partially applied and/or isn't working up-to-snuff it might be that no damage was done at all.

I realize it is probably pretty difficult to say with any certainty what the damage, if any, is likely to be.

Right, a bit difficult. Only a good inspection will tell.

But I suspect I'm not the first one to leave the parking brake set due to the lake of a very positive indication it is on.

Probably so!

Cheers
DD

Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,919 Likes on 1,667 Posts

You can apparently overheat the diff seals but hopefully you have avoided that.
Strictly speaking it is not a 'fly off' handbrake. On a fly off you pull it up and press the button and it stays locked; to release it you simply pull it up slightly (with your finger tips) and let it go and it 'flies off'.
The XJS brake you pull up to engage and then lower again so that the handle doesn't get caught in the turn ups of your loon pants when you get out of the car and doesn't go up your trouser leg when you get back in again.
To release it pull it up, push the button and lower it again.
The warning light should come on when it is engaged and also the bulb warning light should come on if you press the brake pedal whilst the handbrake is on.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply and info about manuals. I have ordered the DVD from the site you linked, and will be going back to browse that site when I have more time.

I'm hopeful that there is little or no damage. I recall on that drive that I was still rolling backwards after pulling out of the driveway when I put the transmission into drive. I mentally admonished myself for not applying the brakes and stopping the rearward roll before shifting to drive. I was rolling backward slowly on level ground. So I think the parking brakes were not applying much pressure to the discs.

I have discovered the quicky test to see if the parking brake is engaged that you suggested. I'll try to develop the habit of checking that frequently.

And yes, I am growing to love the car after a few drives. It's a real "crème puff" condition-wise, and a joy to drive.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 AM

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply, and I'll try the memory aid you suggest. Although my memory isn't what it used to be (I think, can't remember for sure) :-).

I haven't been under the car yet, and that's on my agenda for this week end. I wanted to check the primary brake pads for condition anyway.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Hi Steve,

Your right about the potential conflict between my trousers and the brake handle. I'm still a bit of a spectacle getting in and out of the car. Occasionally I get it right, and slide right into place. But if I don't get the first move of the process right, the following is usually comical.

The warning light does come on when the brake is set, and appears to be correctly adjusted. It will stay on even if the brake is only very slightly set. But it is not very bright even with the top up. All of the lights in the primary instrument cluster are hard to see. It took me a long time to find were the turn signal indicator lights were when first driving. I never did spot them blinking, and only figured it out after looking at the manual later. I'll check on that to see if it is a dash light dimmer setting, or old bulbs, or something else.

Thanks,
Greg