XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Engine fire!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Engine fire!

Fire in the hole! In the engine compartment, that is. I was aware of a leak in the right side of my rack and pinion. Didn't look to be leaking much and the power steering fluid was not going down so I was in no hurry to fix it. Planned on installing a rebuilt unit along with the two new tie-rod ends I have. The seal in the piston obviously blew all the way yesterday and the fluid hit the exhaust pipes and there you go. Got off the road as soon as possible and got the hood up before any paint was damaged. A very nice lady came out of her business and handed me a fire extinguisher and I put the fire out. Some damage to a few wires but fixable. The oil light stays on even with the key removed. Hope I can find out why.
Thought I would mention this to the forum so no one else will delay fixing an oil leak that could ignite a fire. Sure learned a lesson.
Bobby

Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RagJag
Fire in the hole! In the engine compartment, that is. I was aware of a leak in the right side of my rack and pinion. Didn't look to be leaking much and the power steering fluid was not going down so I was in no hurry to fix it. Planned on installing a rebuilt unit along with the two new tie-rod ends I have. The seal in the piston obviously blew all the way yesterday and the fluid hit the exhaust pipes and there you go. Got off the road as soon as possible and got the hood up before any paint was damaged. A very nice lady came out of her business and handed me a fire extinguisher and I put the fire out. Some damage to a few wires but fixable. The oil light stays on even with the key removed. Hope I can find out why.
Thought I would mention this to the forum so no one else will delay fixing an oil leak that could ignite a fire. Sure learned a lesson.
Bobby
Glad you and the car are ok. So many people ignore an oil leak. I have seen many engine fires due to leaky engines. Some don't end so well.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Damn, I am glad that another one will live another day.
I should probably make some vents in my hood, to fight all that mega heat under the hood.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Bobby
Glad you and the car are OK. This is the first time I have heard of an AJ16 XJS catching fire. I have an fire extinguisher on my V12 E, but not on my 95 XJS, since I have always thought of that car as immune to fires....and I have a leak on the rear transmission seal just above the trans. mount that I have been putting of because of the cost involved..this has motivated me to get it fixed and to get a fire extinguisher for the 'S!!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:26 AM

My 1986 Toyota 1 ton dually has a fire extinguisher in the cab. Now my XJS will also have one.
Bobby

Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My 1986 Toyota 1 ton dually has a fire extinguisher in the cab. Now my XJS will also have one.
Bobby
Dude, I'm not poking any fun @ you or your truck, but just the fact that they built a 1 ton dually seems backwards for Toyota. Matter of fact I have never seen one. Can you post a pic?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Everyone should read this post, then go read TalkRadios Marelli cat fire post THEN GO DIRECTLY TO TARGET AND BUY 2 BL**DY FIRE EXTINGUISHERS !! PLEASE !!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

A close call.

Good to hear no injuries and only minor damage.

Graham

Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc
Everyone should read this post, then go read TalkRadios Marelli cat fire post THEN GO DIRECTLY TO TARGET AND BUY 2 BL**DY FIRE EXTINGUISHERS !! PLEASE !!
*EVERYONE*includes AJ6 and AJ16 owners. As its so clearly illustrated here, it's NOT only the V12's at risk. It would appear that these cars, for whatever reason, are more likely so set ablaze for things that other comparable cars won't.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Ive said this several times. the first thing i bought was my XJS, and the second thing i bought was a fire extinguisher.
there is no 1 without the other.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Got a fire extinguisher yeaterady and installed a rebuilt rack and pinion today. Now it won't come out of park. Probably because the batterry is disconnected. I had a Lincoln Mark 8 that did that because of a blown fuse. Ridiculous junk has been added to cars to prevent them from being stolen. I removed that interlock on the Lincoln and will do so on the Jag.
Bobby

Old 07-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default So agree!!

Learned many years ago to ALWAYS have a fire extinguisher handy in the car. Was at Mercedes Benz show and a lovely 600 Pullman short wheelbase parked next to me caught fire. My car was blocked in by a fence and a huge crowd. I was the only person with a fire extinguisher and I had only had it because a friend tossed it in my trunk "for good measure"..had we not had that..that gorgeous pullman and my 280sl would have gone up. I keep them very very handy. Glad no complete loss. Have to keep these gorgeous cats intact!

Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM

The shifter interlock has nothing to do with anti-theft. It is a safety feature preventing the car from being shifted out of park without holding the brake. Some new cars won't let you start them without holding the brake.

All the "ridiculous junk" that has been added is because of legislation. Car makers get no kick out of making interlocks and such. They make their money selling you a car with all kinds of toys you just have to have.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM

Well, Greg. This does not happen to be all the story. If the interlock does not have 12 volt juice going to it the car can not be taken out of park. My Lincoln did the same thing because a fuse was blown. Just another level of 'security'. As is the fact that you can't start your car if a brake light is out. Big brother looking out for you.
Bobby

Old 07-15-2012, 08:44 PM

Don't get me wrong, I know who is to blame for all this crap. Our congress.
Bobby

Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Well, Greg. This does not happen to be all the story. If the interlock does not have 12 volt juice going to it the car can not be taken out of park. My Lincoln did the same thing because a fuse was blown. Just another level of 'security'. As is the fact that you can't start your car if a brake light is out. Big brother looking out for you.
Bobby
I know how the systems works. As I said it was not intended to be an anti theft device. Yes if the battery is dead or there is an issue with the system it will not come out of park conventionally. Many manufacturers have a way to manually release it.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM

Bobby
First I would blame the sue happy person who looks for a way to make money.

Secondly I blame the voters for not voting out the legislators.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Bobby
No ... it would be the individuals who voted them in.

The same people who do not read owners manuals and blame everyone else for everything.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Default Engine fire cause

I must stand corrected, ladies and gentlemen. My engine bay fire was not caused by power steering fliuid after all. The flexible tranny cooler lines that run to the tranny on the right rear side of the engine are the culprit. One of them ruptured in just the right spot to spray the exhaust manifold pipes. I haven't gotten it off yet but it looks as if it may have been damaged some way, possibly by being hit with something.

So, all you happy XJS owners should inspect those lines. I hope to get those lines made up locally but if not, I will call Paul's Jaguar. My wiring repair appears to have worked. The car will come out of park now after I hooked the battery back up.
Bobby