XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Erratic Electric Window Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Erratic Electric Window Behavior

The driver side (LH) electric window on my coupe has always been a bit slower than the passenger side, I attributed that to having been used more and maybe the motor was a little tired. Then the window started to stick about 1/4 of the way open (in both directions). Repeated pressing of the window control got it slowly past the stuck area, and it was fine above and below it.

Had occasion to open the door panel, inspected, cleaned and lubricated the window mechanism, channels, etc.), and for a while it worked perfectly. But then it slowed down , and started to stick again.

Redid the inspect/clean/lubricate procedure, same result.

Now here's the strange part: in humid or damp weather, it works perfectly. In dry weather, it sticks. Do I just need to keep lubricating the channel until its "re-hydrated" for lack of a better term? Is there something better to use than WD-40 to clean and white lithium grease to lubricate?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

What's the condition of the felt run channel? Sometimes they sorta start to disentigrate and bunch up in spots....or are so worn that the glass is a bit floppy and can actually bind-up a bit.

WD40 is a marvelous mild solvent and white lith grease is great for many purposes. However I suggest cleaning the felt channel with brake wash, letting it dry, and then using silicone spray. That works best in this situation, in my experience.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

White grease can get hard after a while. WD and light oil is best or I found garage door oil lube good, light enough and doesn't harden over ages. Do felt around door as above.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions, I will try them and report back.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

inertian,

As others have said, silicon spray can work well on the channels. Be careful about mixing WD40 and grease. You can end up with a congealed mess and make the channel stickier than before!

Good luck

Paul

Old 05-02-2014, 03:44 PM

Re: mixing WD40 and grease making things stickier - although the channels look clean, that's probably just what I did!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 AM

OK, cleaned the channels with brake cleaner and q-tips, lots of black gunk removed. Let it dry all day, then gave it a good shot of silicone spray.

Unfortunately, the window was still sticking, actually worse now in the same range of travel as before. It was slower and you could hear it trying to move (intermittent squeaking like sneakers on a hardwood basketball court).

Cleaned again the next day with a clean q-tip (no additional brake cleaner) and sprayed more silicone. Minimal improvement.

Noticed the inner side surfaces of the channel looked all puckered - wonder if that why its binding worse. Also the window tips back (towards the rear of the car) a slight bit just as it frees up, and tips forward when it starts to bind, Could it be loose on its mounting inside the door?

Meanwhile, today its raining - and the window is working perfectly. The channel looks smooth again. What the...?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Default Sticky Window No More!

The problem was a clean but unlubricated area of the window channel inside the door frame. Didn't want to remove the door panel again (three times was my limit), so I rolled the window all the way down and applied the recommended silicon spray down the channel front and rear using the small spray tube extender.

Been working perfectly since, and its hot and dry today.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by inertian
The problem was a clean but unlubricated area of the window channel inside the door frame. Didn't want to remove the door panel again (three times was my limit), so I rolled the window all the way down and applied the recommended silicon spray down the channel front and rear using the small spray tube extender.

Been working perfectly since, and its hot and dry today.
I don't think I've got any real evidence to support this thought, apart from some vague memory of rust possibly causing this in another car, but is it possible that the glass is sometimes being pushed up off square to the channels? Can you move the glass side to side in the door frame?

Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

both of mine are slow. cleaning all contact will help a little, but the felt channels are the prime suspect. When my drivers gets about 3/4 up it slows, if i push my window to the side it goes the rest of the way.
This wiggle room lets it jam to a side and is a result of the felt channels needing replacing. Be careful not to burn up your motor before you replace them.

How to replace them i haven't looked into, i hope its nothing like my MGB, because 98% of the door assembly needs to be removed for that.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:19 AM

TexasScot - the window only had a slight bit of play towards the front and rear of the car, only noticeable when it got "unstuck" going up or down. No side-to-side motion that I could see.

Been working smooth and fast since the weekend, am tempted to clean and lubricate the passenger side window as its just slightly slower now.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

TexasScot - the window only had a slight bit of play towards the front and rear of the car, only noticeable when it got "unstuck" going up or down. No side-to-side motion that I could see.

Been working smooth and fast since the weekend, am tempted to clean and lubricate the passenger side window as its just slightly slower now.
Go for it. I also do the silicone spray and it helps...

Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

I did mean side to side as in front to back (with the door closed :-) ). The question is: Is the window being dragged to the side causing it to go off-square because of friction in one side channel, or is the window being pushed up off-square driving it into the channel at one side?
In either case cleaning and friction reduction will lessen the problem but if its the latter it wont fix it.
I cant remember the exact design but could it be than one of the wheel in the regulator channel gets a bit stuck causing it to tilt the glass? Is his possible, or am I over thinking this?