XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Favorite products for the leather and wood?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Favorite products for the leather and wood?

So what are your favorite products to preserve and protect the leather and wood interior on you Jag?

I've got some expensive and good leather care products for horse tack - I'm thinking that might be good for the seats - but I'm not sure if auto leather needs something different. And I'm at a loss for the wood - the dash is more laquered and smooth but the inset by the shifter almost seems like beeswax would work.

What are your favorites?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Well, I had ambla (fake jaguar leatherette) come on my 95 from the factory. On those nothing would help because it would just sit on top of the seats and make them oily.

Now that I reupholstered the XJS with 100% leather, I like leatherique as a twice a year treatment, and Lexol for all in between cleanings.

I use old English for the wood , but since its heavily lacquered it probably does nothing other than give it a wood smell

The following users liked this post:
gkazimir (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

On the lacquered wood a good car wax with uv protection is the way to go.
On the leather the Gliptone products are at least as good as any others.

gkazimir (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Leather protestant?

Not speaking 'authoritatively', but I just ordered from Capt. Jag House, some Connolly Leather Hide Conditioner and Protectant. I'll be a few weeks before I get to try it, I'll post results.

gkazimir (04-12-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just received a shipment of Leatherique (Prestine Clean, rejuvenator) applying the next weekend the temp. is over 65 degrees. I have had success with Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax Paste in the past. I'm just starting on the interior of my Jag.

gkazimir (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I use connolly hide food and lexol for cleaning.
I haven't had good experience with lexol conditioner but the cleaner works well.
Hide food works great but it smells like ****.
I'd like to try some zymol leather products, I like their waxes and they always smell good.

Note: The hide food doesn't make the car smell bad, anyone who owns an XJS should know everything in the car simply always wreaks of connolly leather smell, which returns just after the leathers absorb the condition.

gkazimir (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I use two different products depending how long I can let the vehicle sit.
A week or two: I use leatherique, this stuff is amazing but needs time to soak into the leather. I usually will apply it to the leather and let it sit a few days in the sun. I then will have tuse the cleaner a few times to remove it, as the rejuvenator has the consistency of syrup after it is baked in the sun. You can't rush this stuff or else you will have the product stuck to your pants, and sticky seats. However, this can turn cardboard stiff leather into soft supple leather again. Took me a couple weeks with a 1" paint brush and I kept reapplying. Awesome stuff, just need to be patient.

If I need the car in a few hours: I use 303 Aerospace Protectorant. I also use this on vinyl, plastic, tires, etc. This stuff is like sunscreen for stuff. My dad's boat has had this stuff applied twice a year since 83 and the interior still looks brand new. I put this on my tires as it gives a slightly glossy look without being too glossy. This is a little pricey at $20 for a 16oz spray bottle but worth every penny. I usually buy the gallon jugs on amazon, or you can get it at most boating stores. If this stuff was used regularly on our jags than we would never have to replace the interior pieces.

gkazimir (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by gkazimir
So what are your favorite products to preserve and protect the leather and wood interior on you Jag?

I've got some expensive and good leather care products for horse tack - I'm thinking that might be good for the seats - but I'm not sure if auto leather needs something different. And I'm at a loss for the wood - the dash is more laquered and smooth but the inset by the shifter almost seems like beeswax would work.

What are your favorites?
There's a member on this forum that had written about using leather products for his saddle on his X308. I believe you can look him up under Danielsand.

I use Connolly leather conditioner - my interior gets tons of compliment for looking like new...on a 2001 car. It's pricy and the jar will last you 2 applications, 3 if used sparingly. IMO it doesn't smell bad at all. I heard good things about zymol too. There are several threads on the forum addressing this topic.

gkazimir (04-22-2013)