XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

getting my jag ready for spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts
Default getting my jag ready for spring

Ill just start by saying i am ready for spring. jag has been laid up all winter. only had it out on a couple very select days. Tired of the cold with warmer weather just around the corner i am getting the jag ready for spring.

few issues i am working on.
#1:
the ac, last year before doing anything to the ac it barely blew slightly cool air. i took the jag on a trip on a very hot day and stopped part way threw grabbed a can of Freon and put it in witch helped but things still not quite up to par. sometimes the air would start blowing hot and i would have to turn the ac switch off and back on to get cool air again.

so yesterday i did a proper recharge of the ac system evacuated it pulled a vacuum pressure tested pressure test good. recharged. now the ac blows colder than it ever did but once the ac compressor kicks out it it wont come back on even after pressures have dropped back down. it will then kick back in if you turn the ac off and back on, or if you un plug the sensor on the back of the compressor and plug it back in. it also sometimes kicks out at different pressures even when the high pressure side has not climbed out of range.

at a diagnostic test i installed a jumper wire on the sensor on the back of the compressor and it behaves exactly the same. except i have to remove the jumper as well as unplug the sensor and then hook it all back up again to get the compressor to kick back in. I am not seeing any other sensors in the system they must be hiding quite well? anyone have a diagram of the ac system for this car. or had this problem before?

#1 part B:
electric fan in front of the ac condenser. the fan is good i had it unplugged and jumper leads hooked to another power source to make the fan work during my ac testing. but it never comes on plugged into the car

#2 convertable top. all my electronics to the convertible top are dead. basically the top switch does absolutely noting. the pump has been empty of fluid. i was messing with that yesterday and even though i cant get it to do anything from the switch i was able to test each individual parts of the system. after filling the pump resivore and manually operating the pump i was able to get the top to go up and down but found the hydro pistons leak on the top seals. for now im am going to drain the system back out. when the system is empty on fluid and in manual mode it is quite easy to lift and lower the top by hand.

the power window motors for the rear 1/4 windows are good am able to manually activate them and roll them up and down. this being the bigger issue (to me) because frankly it looks stupid to have the top down with the windows up. for now i plan to wire in a switch and putting it in the storage locker to raise and lower these windows i will try to document this process to maybe help someone else out.

i am contemplating removing the power top system all together and putting it into safe storage to save a little weight by getting rid of the non functioning system. like i said the top goes up and down by hand quite easily when your not trying to move it against hydro pressure. then at some point in the future if i want to re-seal the pistons and probably rebuild the pump and re-install the system i can basically everything will have to come out for that anyway.

but anyway ill do my best to try to document how the power window system works for the rear convertible windows and how to temporarily activate/wire a switch to raise and lower these windows while the rest of the system is in-op to maybe help the next guy out.

yesterday besides doing the above mentioned things i also gave it a oil change and new air filter. gotta say its quite nice that that the jag calls for heavy weight oil seems how i own a trucking company i keep both 5-40 synthetic and 15-40 conventional oil on hand in bulk.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts