XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Getting to windshield wipers motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Getting to windshield wipers motor

One of the first things I wanted to do for my new '85 Jag was to check (and fix) the windshield wipers motor (which was barely moving the wipers).

So, I removed the wiper arms and all retaining bolts for the grille, just like it was described in the green book.

The next step is to somehow raise the grille and flip it, right?

I loosened the grille up but I cannot raise it and flip it. Something is holding it down...

Anyone had experience with getting to the windshield wipers motor? Any tips on how to raise and disconnect this whole grille assembly?

Old 04-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

there are 2 bolts under the bonnet and 2 nuts close to the windscreen once these are removed the whole shebang should just lift out.

There is a cable and plug and the washer hose carefully check to see if one of these is caught on something.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon
there are 2 bolts under the bonnet and 2 nuts close to the windscreen once these are removed the whole shebang should just lift out.
Yeah, those were the obvious ones

There is a cable and plug and the washer hose carefully check to see if one of these is caught on something.
I can lift one side maybe an inch or so. But it does not go any further

Old 04-02-2017, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by v1rok
I loosened the grille up but I cannot raise it and flip it. Something is holding it down...
Anyone had experience with getting to the windshield wipers motor? Any tips on how to raise and disconnect this whole grille assembly?
VRok,
What is holding it down is each end of the actuating cable. This thick cable goes to the wheelboxes under each arm, and it extends an inch or so beyond them. It has a rubber end piece (A bit like a bit of rubber tube) that protects the ends of the cable. This end piece gradually migrates outwards and catches under each side of the well opening.

Shunt the whole lot to one side as much as you can, and get one end out, then the other will come out easily. It might take a bit of joggling about and brute force, but it will come out. The later Electrolux four lever actuation is much easier to remove!
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
v1rok (04-02-2017), warrjon (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

Of course mine has the later lever action mechanism and just pops right out.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
VRok,
What is holding it down is each end of the actuating cable. This thick cable goes to the wheelboxes under each arm, and it extends an inch or so beyond them. It has a rubber end piece (A bit like a bit of rubber tube) that protects the ends of the cable. This end piece gradually migrates outwards and catches under each side of the well opening.

Shunt the whole lot to one side as much as you can, and get one end out, then the other will come out easily. It might take a bit of joggling about and brute force, but it will come out. The later Electrolux four lever actuation is much easier to remove!
Greg
Thanks, Greg! It was exactly like you described it. Had to do some more wiggling side-to-side, but eventually I was able to pull one side of the cable end (seemed like a thick rod to me) free, and then the other side followed.

I cleaned the contacts and tested it (while the motor was out) and it seemed to turn better. So, I put everything back.

Though while I was testing the motor it looks like I completely killed the battery ,which was already half-dead from overcharging alternator. I think my next project needs to be the alternator.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Greg! It was exactly like you described it. Had to do some more wiggling side-to-side, but eventually I was able to pull one side of the cable end (seemed like a thick rod to me) free, and then the other side followed.

I cleaned the contacts and tested it (while the motor was out) and it seemed to turn better. So, I put everything back.

Though while I was testing the motor it looks like I completely killed the battery ,which was already half-dead from overcharging alternator. I think my next project needs to be the alternator.
Get a 115 amp alternator if you can run to it. The 75 one just is not up to the demands, I have found, in spite of the theoretical position that it should be.
I am glad the wipers came out OK. The motor will seem to run better when out because it has no load on it from the wiper drag. Sadly the motor is only marginal on power, even when new. If you can find an later system it will go straight in and work far better, but you will lose the intermittent wipe facility. The hand-activated flick wipe will still work, as will the washers and the two speeds.
Greg

Old 04-03-2017, 09:19 AM

I was planning to take the alternator from my '86 xjs. ('86 did not have the lightning bolt light on.) Will start with that and see how it goes.

Do I need to take bonnet off for the alternator job, or is there enough room to work on the alternator with bonnet staying on?

Old 04-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

I was planning to take the alternator from my '86 xjs. ('86 did not have the lightning bolt light on.) Will start with that and see how it goes.

Do I need to take bonnet off for the alternator job, or is there enough room to work on the alternator with bonnet staying on?
It is just doable bonnet on. But you do need to get under the car to loosen and tension the belt, and to loosen off the various pivot points associated with the tensioning etc.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
v1rok (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Remove the RH air cleaner.

Untension the belt and remove it from the ALT pulley.

Remove the wiring from the ALT

Remove the nut on the ALT pivot bolt. this bolt will not come out until you have removed the bracket off the engine from under the car. Then the alternator will with great care come out the top, it's like those Chinese puzzles you just have to move it right and POP out it comes.

The following users liked this post:
v1rok (04-03-2017)