XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Going to do the steering rack bushings... will this work?

Old 02-04-2018, 06:15 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Going to do the steering rack bushings... will this work?

in the USA we can rent tool from autopart stores... will this have everything I need to remove and install the old ones and new poly ones?

Advance kit

Old 02-04-2018, 06:19 PM

Or just make something like this?

Homemade bushing kit

The following users liked this post:
Doug (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Not sure if the correct size will be in that kit - but you can improvise with sockets if you had to.

Also you'll want to check the housing where the bushing sits in. I've seen many in the past there they crack at the bottom. Make sure these aren't cracked. Used to work at an independent for a few years, ended up making braces to weld in for added strength.

Attached Thumbnails Going to do the steering rack bushings... will this work?-xjssteeringbushings.jpg  
Old 02-04-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Not sure if the correct size will be in that kit - but you can improvise with sockets if you had to.

Also you'll want to check the housing where the bushing sits in. I've seen many in the past there they crack at the bottom. Make sure these aren't cracked. Used to work at an independent for a few years, ended up making braces to weld in for added strength.
ok cool, thanks. Hopefully it won't be too terrible of a job. I can just have it on ramps cant i? Or does the suspension need to be unsprung?

Old 02-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Took me a couple of weeks to do mine (nights). Don't count on the old bushings coming out so easily. If you go with a homemade kit, heed the advice about grade 8 bolts. I would elevate the car securely - you're going to need a lot of space and leverage.

That said, definitely worth it. Got rid of some vibrations from the old worn bushings.

Padre

Old 02-04-2018, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Padre
Took me a couple of weeks to do mine (nights). Don't count on the old bushings coming out so easily. If you go with a homemade kit, heed the advice about grade 8 bolts. I would elevate the car securely - you're going to need a lot of space and leverage.

That said, definitely worth it. Got rid of some vibrations from the old worn bushings.

Padre
yeah my steering is scary... sometimes have to turn the wheel like half a turn to straighten back out.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by 944xjs
in the USA we can rent tool from autopart stores... will this have everything I need to remove and install the old ones and new poly ones?

Advance kit
I used a tool like that one to do two of my rack bushings, the lower ones, but it wouldn't fit in the space around the upper one. For that I used some threaded rod, a socket, and one of the adapters from that u joint tool kit.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
I used a tool like that one to do two of my rack bushings, the lower ones, but it wouldn't fit in the space around the upper one. For that I used some threaded rod, a socket, and one of the adapters from that u joint tool kit.
I was wondering about that... well, that's good to know.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

The rod you want is 5/16-18, btw, though I used 5/16-24 tpi. It isn't metric.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:51 PM

The rod you want is 5/16-18, btw, though I used 5/16-24 tpi. It isn't metric.
thanks, do you remember the socket size? I'm sure I have the right ones laying around. What's the best way to get the bushing back in the sleeve? Or do you leave it in and just pack the bushing in?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Do you mean the inner sleeve, or an outer one?

Old 02-06-2018, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

The old outer sleeve and bushing get pressed out as one. The new poly ones don't have an outer sleeve, and go in very easily, just push in by hand. Don't even think about installing new OEM ones. The design was dangerous from the start.

Last edited by Mark SF; 02-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rgp (02-12-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 AM

The old outer sleeve and bushing get pressed out as one. The new poly ones don't have an outer bushing, and go in very easily. Don't even think about installing new OEM ones. The design was dangerous from the start.
ahhh ok thank you! I didn't think the new ones used the outer sleeve but I wasn't sure. It wasn't making sense with the outer lips of the new poly pieces. Well that's good.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Yes you can take the steering rack out on ramps, but probably easier if you put it on jack stands.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Yes you can take the steering rack out on ramps, but probably easier if you put it on jack stands.
cool thanks

Old 02-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

I did all the work climbing under from the front, with the engine over my chest. Whether you are on ramps or stands makes no difference, but I can tell you that you want whatever it is to be very secure.

I had ramps under the wheels actually bearing the weight, and stands under the sills just in case.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:30 PM

I did all the work climbing under from the front, with the engine over my chest. Whether you are on ramps or stands makes no difference, but I can tell you that you want whatever it is to be very secure.

I had ramps under the wheels actually bearing the weight, and stands under the sills just in case.
yeah I take no chances. I'll have ramps under the wheels even if I have it lifted. And then stands sometimes 2 sets and then lightly have the jack up as well. Ha I dont mess around

Old 04-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

I just replaced my steering rack bushes with neoprene two-piece bushes. I did mine in-place. I’d assembled a bearing removal tool using threaded rod, a slightly less than bushing sized socket and an socket larger than the bush to press it into.

Once I got in there reality and obstructions vetoed my plan. I puzzled it over for a bit and then solved it in shade-tree mechanic style.

First I drove the center sleeve out with a round drift. On two of mine I could just press it out with my fingers they were so badly worn. Then, using a cold chisel on the small exposed edge of the outer sleeve, I folded the sleeve inward at one point along its circumference, then again 90 degrees away, then drove the sleeve again between the two folds and the sleeve just pops out the back side. Easy peasy and not a scuff on the housing. Took about two minutes per.

I have a question about the shims I hope someone can answer for me.

There is a large shim/ 3 sided box frame that rides inside the double bush side mounting. What is the purpose of this? My new bushes are a mild force fit in the housings without any shims and I can’t imagine how to keep/get this box shim in place while installing with the new bushes. Do I have to sort this or can I put the box shim in my ‘stuff I’ll keep but don’t need’ crate?

Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Jaguar calls the 3-sided box a "stiffner". I call it a superfluous complication. I'm not sure what it is supposed to stiffen. It isn't very rigid.

On my first Jag I dutifully reinstalled it but as the years went by I noticed more and more old Jags without it....so I stopped using 'em.

As long as the rack a snug (not forced) fit into the mounting ears I'd say you're good to go.

Let's hear what others have to say.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Jaguar calls the 3-sided box a "stiffner". I call it a superfluous complication. I'm not sure what it is supposed to stiffen. It isn't very rigid.

On my first Jag I dutifully reinstalled it but as the years went by I noticed more and more old Jags without it....so I stopped using 'em.

As long as the rack a snug (not forced) fit into the mounting ears I'd say you're good to go.

Let's hear what others have to say.

Cheers
DD
Agreed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to do the steering rack bushings... will this work?