XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Growler type Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Growler type Air Intakes

I've read a little and checked out the Growler Air Intake systems from Faster Jags, and would appreciate the forum members' feedback on it. They seem a good start to a performance upgrade, especially if finished off with a cleaner flow exhaust system later.
Has anyone installed this, any pros/cons, except maybe taking away the pure original look? -Personally I really liked the look, and as long as the sensors and other related fittings still hook into it, I feel it can only help the jag's breathing.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Growler intakes are like Beautiful women.

theyre great to look at, but at the end of the day they just make a lot of noise, cost you a fortune, and dont do anything.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

growler intakes are nice but very expensive for what they are.

IMO chrome looks nice but it would look off...there is NO chrome anywhere in the engine bay, so it would look odd.

I've been to pep boys and checked out the "build your own" intake systems with different elbows and piping.
Would cost a total of 80 dollars I believe. But with bigger filters that could be placed in a better location.
Only real fabricating required would be drilling a hole for the airflow/speed sensor and maybe cutting a plastic plate to match the throttlebody.

After this I would probably paint it semi-gloss black ( the same as the original air cleaners) or maybe some wheel paint that would match the intake manifolds.

The car should breath better and make a pleasant noise when revv'd.

In short, intake mods are nice and free up a little power, but in my opinion the price of the growler intake is not worth it.

There isn't a lot of aftermarket for these cars, so everything is like that.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

I have them. They look pretty.......

......I'm never going to win a concours competition anyway. I don't notice any improvement in power but I really baby the car and don't use full throttle. (I keep that for my 06 XJ Super V8). They do make a nice noise when pushed, but are comparable to stock at idle or light throttle, which for me is a good balance. My XJS is a 92 with a limited engine diagnostic system, which reports errors with the fuel injection on the trip computer, and I am happy to say the Growlers have not caused any codes to appear. All of the sensors that are connected to the original airboxes connect to the Growlers in customer made holes, etc.

It's 100% personal taste........

Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Sarc don't be scared of hurting it hehe. I used to be afraid of my cars reliability,but after attempting to do an italian tune up i found out what shes made of.

As long as everything is right and your cooling and oiling system is up to par you should really let it out once in a while. XJSs love being revv'd

Old 07-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Once I've got my super duty radiator in (which will mean I've replaced everything in the entire cooling system) then I'll give it some beans :-)

Originally Posted by sidescrollin

As long as everything is right and your cooling and oiling system is up to par

Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've fitted them ...

They do add a little "very nice" induction noise during hard acceleration. Normal operation there is no added noise or power. I do believe there is some small gain in power by the seat of the pants measurement. Over all I would say that the addition was worthwhile. The awful looking original air boxes are gone, & there is more space around the engine.

Overall, IMHO, the engine bay looks better, sounds better and the car goes a little bit faster.

They are not chrome, but aluminium. They are well built. I bought the polished version.