XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

handbrake / parking brake will not release?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default handbrake / parking brake will not release?!

Help?! My 1990 XJS convertible's best friend - ie my Jag mechanic - is away. And the hand brake/ parking brake / emergency brake (I'll us all terms given the multi-national nature of this group) has decided not to release.

I thought perhaps it was just the indicator lamp, but since the roof will work, somehow it's not reading as disengaged. (I know from stupid operator error that brake must be on for the top to raise or lower.) Now, I reversed a few feet and it didn't FEEL like it was on, but I don't want to risk anything by testing that so much.

Any suggestions? I've tried depressing the little button, then pulling the lever all the way up and putting it back down - still with the button depressed. I've tried pulling the lever all the way up, with it clicking its way through, THEN depressing the button as I put it back down. Did both of those with a foot on and off the car brakes. It's still not releasing.

Please remember I've got minimal skills in the fixing department, so if you have an idea please be as basic as possible in instructions ;-). FWIW the lever arm handle and button at the end seem to be black rubber on a metal lever if that helps.

Last edited by gkazimir; 08-19-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

If the handbrake is ON, when the lever is down the button will be OUT. If the handbrake is off the button will be inside the end of the handle.

Sounds to me like the micro switch is not activating, this could be as easy as an adjustment. It's PITA to do and easier if the drivers seat is removed.

The micro switch is no.9 in the drawing. With the handbrake off push on the little metal tab, if you hear the switch click then it need to be adjusted so when the brake is off the switch is activated.

Attached Thumbnails handbrake / parking brake will not release?!-mj7095b.png  
The following 3 users liked this post by warrjon:
gkazimir (08-19-2016), JigJag (09-04-2016), leo_denmark (07-29-2017)
Old 08-20-2016, 08:34 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

One question - if the issues is a stuck switch, as opposed to the actual brake being applied, would the button in/out still be a valid verification? And would the top still operate if the switch is stuck on even if the brake itself is not engaged?

I'm trying to determine how to assess the safety of driving it if/until this is resolved. Many thanks!

Old 08-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by gkazimir
One question - if the issues is a stuck switch, as opposed to the actual brake being applied, would the button in/out still be a valid verification? And would the top still operate if the switch is stuck on even if the brake itself is not engaged?

I'm trying to determine how to assess the safety of driving it if/until this is resolved. Many thanks!
First task for me would be lifting both rear wheels and check if brakes are applied or not. Can wheel be rotated with relative ease or not?

Old 08-20-2016, 10:29 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree. Lift the back end and try rotating wheels

Old 09-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I too have a stuck Emergency/Park Brake. I did raise the car and the wheels are locked tight.
The handle is down, Button looks to be in. I have tried raising/lowering etc... I tried to push the button in (to no avail) and tried tapping it lightly on the sides with rubber mallet to see if the button would pop out (also to no avail)
Truly at a loss
Had to put the car up on wheel dollies to get it moved into the garage till I can figure it out.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Try again

Did you pull the handle wayyyyy up?

Pull it up till you feel resistance then press the button

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
NiceCat (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceCat
I too have a stuck Emergency/Park Brake. I did raise the car and the wheels are locked tight.
The handle is down, Button looks to be in. I have tried raising/lowering etc... I tried to push the button in (to no avail) and tried tapping it lightly on the sides with rubber mallet to see if the button would pop out (also to no avail)
Truly at a loss
Had to put the car up on wheel dollies to get it moved into the garage till I can figure it out.
That plastic handle slips on over the chrome structure and can move. If it has worked it's way out it may not be possible to depress the button enough to release the mechanism. Just make sure it is in place where it should be by tapping on the end near the button.

NiceCat (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Try again

Did you pull the handle wayyyyy up?

Pull it up till you feel resistance then press the button

Cheers
DD

Ditto...

NiceCat (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,906 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by baxtor
That plastic handle slips on over the chrome structure and can move. If it has worked it's way out it may not be possible to depress the button enough to release the mechanism. Just make sure it is in place where it should be by tapping on the end near the button.
Exactly the same happened to mine; the plastic sleeve rides up and then you can't push the button in fully so it won't disengage.
It might move just enough to switch off the indicator light but not release the brake.

NiceCat (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 11:16 PM

Unfortunately I did pull WAY UP ... Seems to have reached a point where going further (to disengage) is now impossible
Checked the sleeve, did seem to be out a little further than normal making it virtually impossible to push the button ... Brakes still locked but light on sometimes and off sometimes if I move the handle up and down repeatedly.

Now for the weird part ...
This all occurred when I had the car towed to a different location and the driver of the tow truck had engaged the parking brake. The battery had also been disconnected (I know, all the information is required to get proper help with a problem) But I did not think the battery connected or not would have anything to do with the brake...Remember, First Jag

But now I am thinking that there must be some connection between the two. I had been trying to disengage the brake for quite a while and realized every time I opened the door the window would go down a little, but not raise back up when the door was closed. After a while the window was down quite a bit, so I decided to see if I could use the key to raise the window back up by turning it in the door lock (like you can do with some makes of cars) (battery is reinstalled btw) and to my surprise when I turned the key both right and left I heard a great "pop" at the rear wheels and dust flew out of the brake caliper ..... voila' brakes are released!

Can some one do me the favor of explaining why this worked?

And yes, I have now looked up the reset processes after a battery disconnect

Old 09-04-2016, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,906 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Ghost in the machine!

Old 09-04-2016, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

What is the exact model and year of your car, please?
greg

Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceCat
Unfortunately I did pull WAY UP ... Seems to have reached a point where going further (to disengage) is now impossible
Checked the sleeve, did seem to be out a little further than normal making it virtually impossible to push the button ... Brakes still locked but light on sometimes and off sometimes if I move the handle up and down repeatedly.

Now for the weird part ...
This all occurred when I had the car towed to a different location and the driver of the tow truck had engaged the parking brake. The battery had also been disconnected (I know, all the information is required to get proper help with a problem) But I did not think the battery connected or not would have anything to do with the brake...Remember, First Jag

But now I am thinking that there must be some connection between the two. I had been trying to disengage the brake for quite a while and realized every time I opened the door the window would go down a little, but not raise back up when the door was closed. After a while the window was down quite a bit, so I decided to see if I could use the key to raise the window back up by turning it in the door lock (like you can do with some makes of cars) (battery is reinstalled btw) and to my surprise when I turned the key both right and left I heard a great "pop" at the rear wheels and dust flew out of the brake caliper ..... voila' brakes are released!

Can some one do me the favor of explaining why this worked?

And yes, I have now looked up the reset processes after a battery disconnect
NiceCat,

Your comment about teh battery and the window going down made me realise that you don't have an XJS, so I'm afraid you're in the wrong Forum.

Good luck with your problem.

Paul

NiceCat (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Default OOpps

Sorry Guys, did a search in the XK8 forum for brake issue and this discussion came up ..... did not think to double check the forum I was in