XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Have I got these brake pad Springs the right way round?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Have I got these brake pad Springs the right way round?

Hi

If you have a look at the Photo, you will see the way I've put the 'anti rattle' Springs on but have I done it right?

As on one end of one pad, the bigger loop is at the Top, while on the other pad the bigger loop is on the bottom.

Just wondering if they are suppose to be in handed pairs? or does it not make any difference.

These are Brand New brake pads, not the old ones.

I am having to use the old springs (for the time being) as they didn't have any new ones in stock at the time.

Also how 'Crucial' are the 'Shims' on the Calipers? as I trial fitted one without shims and from what I can see it 'looks' pretty much spot on.

So wondering if the 'Shimming' applied to the Set of Calipers, that I have just taken off, rather than the New ones, that I am putting on.

http://

Attached Thumbnails Have I got these brake pad Springs the right way round?-pads1_zps1635f252.jpg  

Last edited by orangeblossom; 05-21-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Big hoop, small hoop....doesn't matter which is at the top or bottom.

As for the shims, are you talking about the actual caliper alignment shims, or the shims that go between the caliper and the steering arm?

If the caliper is parallel to the brake rotor and resonably centralized, you don't need any caliper mounting shims.

As for the shims between the caliper and the steering arm.....

Position/align the caliper to the upright and just snug up the mounting bolts. Note the gap between the steering arm and the caliper. You need to install enough shims to just close the gap. Select your shims, remove lower bolt, install shims (a little tricky) reinstall bolt, tighten both bolts.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

i think he is asking what side of the spring should be inside the pad.

If you are, then yes, this is correct.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
i think he is asking what side of the spring should be inside the pad.

If you are, then yes, this is correct.
No I wasn't but I could have been, so thanks anyway.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
No I wasn't but I could have been, so thanks anyway.
what were you asking? If you were concerned with the hooks, if you flip it, they still face the same. I guess if your concern was them being "handed" then I think the point may be to have a loop which you can slide a pin through first to hold the spring in place, afterwards, its easier to just push the other side down and slide the pin in than to line another loop up.

could be wrong but thats my assumption. Whether the loops are on top or bottom doesn't make any difference in their performance

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Big hoop, small hoop....doesn't matter which is at the top or bottom.

As for the shims, are you talking about the actual caliper alignment shims, or the shims that go between the caliper and the steering arm?

If the caliper is parallel to the brake rotor and resonably centralized, you don't need any caliper mounting shims.

As for the shims between the caliper and the steering arm.....

Position/align the caliper to the upright and just snug up the mounting bolts. Note the gap between the steering arm and the caliper. You need to install enough shims to just close the gap. Select your shims, remove lower bolt, install shims (a little tricky) reinstall bolt, tighten both bolts.

Cheers
DD
That's the 'Perfect Answer!' The one I've been looking for!

Though on both sets of Calipers, the 'Shims' were behind the 'Top Bolt' rather than the 'Bottom One' but as they appeared to be a 'Snug Fit' I was starting to wonder what they were doing there.

As it seems ok without them but will check with a feeler gauge.

Everything lines up just fine with the Rotors and I'm really taking my time with this as I want to get it right.

So Thanks for your help.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
what were you asking? If you were concerned with the hooks, if you flip it, they still face the same. I guess if your concern was them being "handed" then I think the point may be to have a loop which you can slide a pin through first to hold the spring in place, afterwards, its easier to just push the other side down and slide the pin in than to line another loop up.

could be wrong but thats my assumption. Whether the loops are on top or bottom doesn't make any difference in their performance
Yes! you are bang on with that, I thought that they might come in handed pairs.

So Thanks for your help.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Though on both sets of Calipers, the 'Shims' were behind the 'Top Bolt' rather than the 'Bottom One' but as they appeared to be a 'Snug Fit' I was starting to wonder what they were doing there.

Not all cars have shims in all locations.

If you had shims at the top bolt they were there to align the caliper....and might not be needed with different calipers. The shims should've been between the caliper and the caliper mounting.

If you had shims at the lower bolt between the caliper and the caliper mounting then they, too, were for caliper alignment.

^ In either case these shims are to make the caliper parallel to the brake disc. ^ so it isn't really a matter of checking a clearance between two facing surfaces.

If you had shims between the steering arm and the caliper, they were there to simply take up the gap between the two.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

and there we go again

Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Not all cars have shims in all locations.

If you had shims at the top bolt they were there to align the caliper....and might not be needed with different calipers. The shims should've been between the caliper and the caliper mounting.

If you had shims at the lower bolt between the caliper and the caliper mounting then they, too, were for caliper alignment.

^ In either case these shims are to make the caliper parallel to the brake disc. ^ so it isn't really a matter of checking a clearance between two facing surfaces.

If you had shims between the steering arm and the caliper, they were there to simply take up the gap between the two.

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug

Bang on Yet Again! It was only when Rain began to stop play, that I suddenly realized where they were supposed to go.

To fill up the gap before you tighten the Bolt and not on the other side of the Arm, where I was trying to put them, where there was no gap.

So that's another mess you got me out of!

Many Thanks for your help!