XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help bleeding 1996 XJS Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help bleeding 1996 XJS Brakes

Help bleeding 1996 XJS Brakes I can't seem to get the air out of my brakes. It is was made in late '95, VIN 222xxx. I believe this would make it a Teves IV; there is no accumulator.

I have replace the master cylinder and both of the front calipers with rebuilt, (I really wonder about those shims...maybe later...), and removed and re-attached the left rear caliper.

I'm still up on jack stands, and can't get any pedal; not even enough to stop the rear wheels with the engine running, or hold the fronts from turning by hand.

I have vacuum bled, "semi" pressure bled (with the pressure from a garden sprayer and a rubber plug), and done the old pump and hold dance.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Scott

The factory manual is little help (surprise)

Old 05-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

You have to bench bleed the master. Takes quite some time to get all the air out of just the master.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by sromkee
Help bleeding 1996 XJS Brakes I can't seem to get the air out of my brakes. It is was made in late '95, VIN 222xxx. I believe this would make it a Teves IV; there is no accumulator.

I have replace the master cylinder and both of the front calipers with rebuilt, (I really wonder about those shims...maybe later...), and removed and re-attached the left rear caliper.

I'm still up on jack stands, and can't get any pedal; not even enough to stop the rear wheels with the engine running, or hold the fronts from turning by hand.

I have vacuum bled, "semi" pressure bled (with the pressure from a garden sprayer and a rubber plug), and done the old pump and hold dance.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Scott

The factory manual is little help (surprise)
Hi Scott

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you've replaced the Master Cylinder?

Do you mean the Complete Actuator or The Valve Block, or Something else?

In any event you won't get anywhere until you have 'Bled' the Low Pressure side of the System.

I know how to do this on a V12 which may be the same for a Teves IV any chance of a Photo of the Pump, which should be on the opposite side of your Car to the Actuator/Master Cylinder.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:36 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

deleted response. I now realize the Teves IV appeared on all 95s after 198335

Last edited by Vee; 05-17-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Default Help Bleeding 1996 XJS Brakes

The "master cylinder" I replaced was the hydraulic part that is attached to the brake pedal lever and vacuum booster. On my left hand drive "96", it is on the left side of the car, inline with the driver and brake pedal. There are 2 hydraulic lines that exit it.

I DID bench bleed it, but maybe not well enough. Should I take it back off and re-bleed it?

Exactly how do I bleed the low pressure side of the Teves IV ABS?

Picture of the Teves IV ABS pump assembly to followto follow

Thanks

Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 AM

The "master cylinder" I replaced was the hydraulic part that is attached to the brake pedal lever and vacuum booster. On my left hand drive "96", it is on the left side of the car, inline with the driver and brake pedal. There are 2 hydraulic lines that exit it.

I DID bench bleed it, but maybe not well enough. Should I take it back off and re-bleed it?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

sromkee,

You don't need to worry about "Low Pressure side" bleeding. It's a peculiarity of the configuration of the Teves II & III systems.

Just as a matter of interest, what makes you think that you haven't got rid of the air? Do you have a soft pedal feel? Does that change if you press the brakes twice quickly? Does it change if you press the brakes after going round a corner or if doing a second application after braking on the straight?

I'm just thinking that there are a couple of reasons why you might get a sporadic soft pedal feel and not all them relate to air in the system.

Paul

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Thanks
Hi Scott

Your Teves ABS System, is totally different to the type that I have in my Car, so the Person who can guide you best on how to Bleed the (Teves Mk 1V) is PTJS (Paul)

Old 05-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Default Help bleeding 1996 xjs brakes

I believe there is air in the system because I have almost no pedal resistance, the brakes won't even slow the rotors from turning with the transmission in great and the engine running. I am on jak stands, I can't drive the car like this.

Is it possible to trap air in the ABS module?

As it stands right now, I will remove and re-bleed the master cylinder next.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

sromkee , no need to remove the m/cylinder .

Old 05-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

I believe there is air in the system because I have almost no pedal resistance, the brakes won't even slow the rotors from turning with the transmission in great and the engine running. I am on jak stands, I can't drive the car like this.

Is it possible to trap air in the ABS module?

As it stands right now, I will remove and re-bleed the master cylinder next.
That's probably not air. Even air will build pressure.

More likely a defect somewhere.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 AM

The defect turned out to be that during the contortions I went through to avoid removing the support strut and relay bank, I did not get the plunger into the master cylinder, it went off to the side. After I removed the m/c and re-bled it, I saw the problem during re-assembly.
Thank you all for your input