XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help XJS won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help XJS won't start

as some know im new to jaguar I need help I bought the 91 xjs I was talking about she has sat for 5-6 years on a trailer in a garage. well I thought what the hay I would put a battery in her and see what happened well she cranks lol but nothing in the line of tring to start. I need to know which way the fuel filter goes the jag didn't have one?????? does the flow go from passanger side to drivers side and is that the only fuel filter I need help with this folks lol. the car is real nice for a 91 and only showing 41k on the clock if I cant get it running this weekend shes for sale lol. black with tan interior and black convertible top. One more thing can I unhook the fuel line in the back and let the pump run to drain old gas out of tank????

I've edited your title to try ang get better results......HELP doesn't really tell the story
Good luck

Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by wssjonboy
I need to know which way the fuel filter goes the jag didn't have one??????

Really? What happened to it, I wonder? You looked behind the spare tire?

does the flow go from passanger side to drivers side and is that the only fuel filter

I can't remember the direction but, yes, there's only one *external* filter.

The small gasoline sump tank below the battery has a screen type filter on the pick-up. They often clog. You'll want to get in there and check it out after draining the fuel.

One more thing can I unhook the fuel line in the back and let the pump run to drain old gas out of tank????
Sure!

Cheers
DD

Old 11-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Default re doug

im not sure why they removed the filter I removed the spare tire and found two fuel lines with no filter? I bought a new filter but not 100% in which way it goes (flow right to left) or the other way round and any ideas what to try to see if the beast will fire would be awesome. the story I got was the car was towed because the harmonic balance was going bad and was causing it the throw belts???

Old 11-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Hello, welcome to the exciting (and sometimes depressing) world of Jaguars...I'm pretty sure the filter is beaded edge to the passenger (on U.S spec) car. Also while not a "mod" nor trying to be one it would be more helpful is you labeled your thread something other the "help" you'll get a lot more people looking if you can be more specific and it may alert someone who wouldn't open it but if they see a title that they have immediate knowledge of then they may. Fuel filter should be behind the spare tire in the boot, you probably want to check and see if the sump tank needs cleaned out.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

The fuel filter input line comes from the pump. The output line flows from the filter. BOTH lines seem to emerge from the RHS of the boot (trunk) looking from the back of the car. The safest way to be sure is to trace the input line back to the pump, which is on the boot floor just to the left of the battery plinth.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Default thanks

thank you well today was a long day I cleaned the fuel system and no luck now im not getting any fire at the plugs. what is common to fail in a 1991 xjs that I should look at ?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Default XJS wont start

Iam trying to keep a positive outlook on the V12 but im leaning toward the dreaded chevy V8 conversion I know Chevrolet engines very well I want to keep the jag as stock as I can. Knowing that it is a nice car,so help me keep the jaguar a jaguar not a jagrolet. I made sure the ignition control moduals were connected good (even cleaned) and made sure the coils were connected tight. like I said before the car has sat for several years, and I found out today why, the harmonic balancer was "going bad" and was throwing off the belts. I am going to purchase a service manual to see if maybe that will help me out

Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

If it was me I would start by removing the harmonic and checking that and the pick up sensor associated with it. If either the sensor or the timing disc are damaged it won't fire.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

thank you well today was a long day I cleaned the fuel system and no luck now im not getting any fire at the plugs. what is common to fail in a 1991 xjs that I should look at ?

At this point, as already mentioned, remove the crankshaft sensor and see if it has been damaged by the balancer...which is obviously gonna have to be removed and sent out for rebuilding (assuming it has delaminated---common problem)

Unfortunately lack of physical damage doesn't prove the crank sensor is good. They're a common failure point as well, among others.

Do you have test meter or test light? Some of the checks are pretty basic.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member

You'll probably want to read this:

Experience in a Book

Tons and tons of great info on repairing the XJS

Cheers
DD

Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Iam trying to keep a positive outlook on the V12 but im leaning toward the dreaded chevy V8 conversion

As you wish.

With some patience and effort, though, I'm 99% sure the V12 can be brought back to life. Besides the balancer there will be other issues that need addressing but they can all be worked through one-by-one.

The dilemma is that you really don't know about the true health of the engine until you get it running. With just 41k mies a Jag V12 would normally have tons of life ahead of it....unless someone before you hurt it by overheating it.

I know Chevrolet engines very well I want to keep the jag as stock as I can. Knowing that it is a nice car,so help me keep the jaguar a jaguar not a jagrolet.

If you're a willing student many here will be glad to help and you have loads and loads of good info the internet. Parts are generally easily aviailable and not too expensive. But it takes time to sort out an old XJS...even one that's already running. Trust me on that

I made sure the ignition control moduals were connected good (even cleaned) and made sure the coils were connected tight. like I said before the car has sat for several years, and I found out today why, the harmonic balancer was "going bad" and was throwing off the belts. I am going to purchase a service manual to see if maybe that will help me out

You'll need the service manual, yes, and the wiring diagrams. And Kirby's "Experience In A Book" that I gave you the link to.

Here's a great wiring diagram:

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 11-03-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

I would add that going through the trouble of dropping a Chevy V8 into it is probably more of a chore then getting the V-12 going , once up and running you will know your car well and should have many miles of enjoyment ahead, nothing like the feel/smoothness of the V-12.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Iam trying to keep a positive outlook on the V12 but im leaning toward the dreaded chevy V8 conversion I know Chevrolet engines very well I want to keep the jag as stock as I can. Knowing that it is a nice car,so help me keep the jaguar a jaguar not a jagrolet. I made sure the ignition control moduals were connected good (even cleaned) and made sure the coils were connected tight. like I said before the car has sat for several years, and I found out today why, the harmonic balancer was "going bad" and was throwing off the belts. I am going to purchase a service manual to see if maybe that will help me out
Please be patient with the beast. 41k miles is just broken in!

The stock battery is small and the huge v-12 is a cold blooded bitch! Even the newer v12s dont like cold weather!

The biggest problem is probably bad gas as even year old gas loses its volatile components and eventually turns to varnish/tar mixtures.
I've saved a few low mileage v-12s in my day.

The new gas and a shot of either in each air horn will tell you if the dist/coil/wires will fire!

The following users liked this post:
DWSchwefel (03-14-2014)