XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How does the 'Fan Clutch' work on an XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default How does the 'Fan Clutch' work on an XJS V12

How does the Fan Clutch work on an XJS V12.

Is it Hydraulic or something to do with the Spring on the back and does the running temperature control the Speed of the Fan in any way.

How do you know at which point you may need to buy a new one.

How does the Fan Clutch work?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-06-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

It all has to do with the viscosity of the fluid in the alloy case. When hot, it be come runny. When cold it gets sticky. So, when the engine is hot and needs cooling, the fan is hot and the oil is runny. So the clutches engage and cause friction. When cold the fluid is stickt and thick and the clutches dont grab.

The same also works with a bimetal spring, like on a thermostat. I am quite sure the clutch is viscous...

Last edited by Daim; 07-06-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

It has an inner (bolted to the fan pulley) and an outer, bolted to the fan blades. Between them is a viscous fluid that when cold allows the fan outer to slip rather than be solidly connected to the inner. So when cold the fan outer does NOT turn as fast as the pulley is rotating.

As the fluid gets hot, as a result of heat coming though the radiator on the air flow, it gets more and more solid, so when hot enough, the fan outer turns pretty much as fast as the pulley driven inner, thus providing decent airflow.

The system is similar to viscous coupled differentials, which lock up when the rotational difference between one output shaft and the other gets sufficiently great. The diff system was invented by Harry Ferguson of tractopr fame, and first used on the Jensen Interceptor FF which was the first road car to have anti-skid brakes and incorporated a four wheel drive system using viscous diffs. A similar diff was used on Range Rovers for the central diff, and for all I know still is. It obviated the need tom lock the centre diff (as you had to do on RRs for many years) as it would lock automatically.

The idea of the system on radiator fans was to save fuel and noise when the engine was cold and did not need the fan to run, and to automatically "turn on" the fan when the engine needed extra cooling. All a bit hit and miss, but widely used on all cars for many years, from the humble Vauxhall Viva upwards.

The electric fan has overtaken this system on just about all newer cars, as it can be more efficiently switched on and off by a temp sensor, and unlike any engine driven fan, can deliver full cooling at rest in traffic, when the engine driven fan (like the engine) would be doing its lowest rpm - just when you needed it most!
Testing is not easy, but it should be easy-ish to turn the inner while holding the outer still when the thing is cold. Leave it in the sun for a bit to get hot (or put a hot water bottle on it wrapped in a blanket for 15 minutes) and it should be harder.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 07-06-2016 at 11:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Mac Allan (07-06-2016), orangeblossom (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
It has an inner (bolted to the fan pulley) and an outer, bolted to the fan blades. Between them is a viscous fluid that when cold allows the fan outer to slip rather than be solidly connected to the inner. So when cold the fan outer does NOT turn as fast as the pulley is rotating.

As the fluid gets hot, as a result of heat coming though the radiator on the air flow, it gets more and more solid, so when hot enough, the fan outer turns pretty much as fast as the pulley driven inner, thus providing decent airflow.

The system is similar to viscous coupled differentials, which lock up when the rotational difference between one output shaft and the other gets sufficiently great. The diff system was invented by Harry Ferguson of tractopr fame, and first used on the Jensen Interceptor FF which was the first road car to have anti-skid brakes and incorporated a four wheel drive system using viscous diffs. A similar diff was used on Range Rovers for the central diff, and for all I know still is. It obviated the need tom lock the centre diff (as you had to do on RRs for many years) as it would lock automatically.

The idea of the system on radiator fans was to save fuel and noise when the engine was cold and did not need the fan to run, and to automatically "turn on" the fan when the engine needed extra cooling. All a bit hit and miss, but widely used on all cars for many years, from the humble Vauxhall Viva upwards.

The electric fan has overtaken this system on just about all newer cars, as it can be more efficiently switched on and off by a temp sensor, and unlike any engine driven fan, can deliver full cooling at rest in traffic, when the engine driven fan (like the engine) would be doing its lowest rpm - just when you needed it most!
Testing is not easy, but it should be easy-ish to turn the inner while holding the outer still when the thing is cold. Leave it in the sun for a bit to get hot (or put a hot water bottle on it wrapped in a blanket for 15 minutes) and it should be harder.
Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks for that very Clear and Detailed explanation, as I was thinking the Fluid in the Fan Clutch got Thinner as it got Hotter, so now I know.

Could I put it in a container of Hot Water, or would the Water get inside it, and mess the whole thing up.

Just so I can Test it, to see if it works as it should.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'll just add that, with a typical thermal controlled fan clutch, that little bi-metal spring in the front of the clutch reacts to temperature and actually opens/closes a valve inside the clutch which allows the viscous fluid to enter the area between the two segments to form the fluid coupling.

Older Jags (and others) used a non-thermal clutch. With those, the clutch was engaged until xxx-rpm ...at which point they allowed slippage of the fan. On Jags these are easily identified by the single bolt thru the center of the clutch.

I use the spin test for checking. Get the engine as hot...a bit hotter than normal if possible. Turn the engine off. Now spin the fan by hand. You should feel some resistance and the fan should spin no more than one turn.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 07-06-2016 at 02:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (07-06-2016), orangeblossom (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
It all has to do with the viscosity of the fluid in the alloy case. When hot, it be come runny. When cold it gets sticky. So, when the engine is hot and needs cooling, the fan is hot and the oil is runny. So the clutches engage and cause friction. When cold the fluid is stickt and thick and the clutches dont grab.

The same also works with a bimetal spring, like on a thermostat. I am quite sure the clutch is viscous...
Hi Daim

According to Greg the Fluid gets 'Thicker' as its gets 'Hotter' which seems to make a lot more sense to me.

Just wondering if you unintentionally got it the wrong way round.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I'll just add that, with a typical thermal controlled fan clutch, that little bi-metal spring in the front of the clutch reacts to temperature and actually opens/closes a valve inside the clutch which allows the viscous fluid to enter the area between the two segments to form the fluid coupling.

Older Jags (and others) used a non-thermal clutch. With those, the clutch was engaged until xxx-rpm ...at which point they allowed slippage of the fan. On Jags these are easily identified by the single bolt thru the center of the clutch.

I use the spin test for checking. Get the engine as hot...a bit hotter than normal if possible. Turn the engine off. Now spin the fan by hand. You should feel some resistance and the fan should spin more than one turn.

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug Cheers

When you said the Fan should spin more than one turn, just wondering if you meant to say 'no more than one turn'

Old 07-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

This is a good explanation...
...Jimmy

The following 4 users liked this post by JayCee:
Greg in France (07-06-2016), Jonathan-W (07-06-2016), orangeblossom (07-06-2016), xjsv12 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jimmy

Excellent, Many Thanks

Old 07-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Doug Cheers

When you said the Fan should spin more than one turn, just wondering if you meant to say 'no more than one turn'
I believe the viscosity of liquid decreases with increasing temperature.
Viscosity is a measure of fluidity or the ease of flow .

At low temperature the fan should freewheel or spin easily independently of the fan hub.

At high temperature the fan should be close to the speed of the hub. So shouldn't spin much when hub is stationary

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Doug Cheers

I did! Good catch. I'll edit

Cheers
DD

Old 07-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
I believe the viscosity of liquid decreases with increasing temperature.
Viscosity is a measure of fluidity or the ease of flow .

At low temperature the fan should freewheel or spin easily independently of the fan hub.
No, it really shouldn't 'freewheel'. There should be some amount of resistance at all times.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

OB, Other posters
I may well be wrong in as much as maybe the fluid engages owing to a valve being opened by the bimetal strip as the thing gets hotter, rather than the fluid actually getting thicker. But either way, as that great video shows, as the thing warms up, the fan coupling somehow engages the fan outer hub. So heating it will still show whether the coupling is working properly or not, as it should be harder to turn the outer relative to the inner when hot. The things do not have a great record for longevity though, that is for sure.
Greg

Old 07-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

My head is Spinning Faster than my Fan (Lol)

But apart from a couple of 'typo's'

You all nailed it

Cheers Guys

Many Thanks