XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How to replace the starter on '95 XJS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
Smile How to replace the starter on '95 XJS 4.0

Good morning! I am new to this forum as having just acquired a 1995 XJS 4.0. The starter has begun to make a loud rasping noise when starting the car which makes me think it is time to replace the starter. I have searched for info and found some, but no info specific to the 1995 XJS inline 6 engine.

I have a couple of questions before I begin the replacement.
  • Is there a written procedure available for this job?
  • Is the top bolt that holds the starter to the bell housing a 7/16th hex bolt or does it require a 12 point/triple square bit to loosen it?
Thanks for any help and advise you can give.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Remember, you won't be needing any of your imperial sockets on this car. Think metric.

This is what the service manual says to do:
1. Disconnect the battery earth lead
2. Remove the air cleaner element and the air cleaner housing
3. Remove the LH tie bar securing bolt and displace the tie bar over the manifold
4. On RH drive cars, displace the windscreen washer for access
5. Remove the oil dipstick bracket assembly securing bolt and remove oil dipstick assembly
6. Remove the oil filter bracket securing bolt, disconnect the hose and remove the oil filter tube
7. Disconnect the cables at the starter motor solenoid
8. Remove the starter motor upper securing bolt, then the lower bolt, then ease the starter motor from the engine compartment
9. On refitting, ensure the electrical connections are clean and tight, fit new air cleaner housing gasket

You should consider getting a service manual.

Good luck and take some pics!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Default More Questions

Thanks for the step-by-step.

More Questions: Sorry, I am new to the XJS.
  • What is a 'Tie Bar'?
  • Is the starter on the Driver's side or the Passenger side?
  • I do want a service manual. Any recommendations on sources?
Thanks.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Default Got er done!

I successfully replaced the starter on my '95 XJS 4.0. It was much easier than I had anticipated. I was half way thru the job before I realized that I had not taken any pics.
The starter is near the top and forward of the bell housing and is held in place with two 13 mm bolts. The top bolt inserts from the bell housing side (Bolt head toward transmission. Threaded portion of the bolt toward the front of the car). The top hole in the starter frame is threaded to receive the bolt. The bottom bolt inserts from the engine side, thru the hole in the starter frame and into the threaded bell housing.
  • Remove the Tie Bar (the support bar that attaches to the firewall and the drivers side engine bay). It runs past the brake fluid resovoir.
  • Remove the oil dip stick tube.
  • Disconnect the battery. Be sure you have your radio code.
  • Disconnect the white wire that attaches to the starter solenoid (small can sitting on top of the starter body). The wire is attached with a phillips head screw. This must be removed to allow the starter to be pulled from the bell housing. Ohterwise the shortness of the wire will hold the starter and prevent it from being moved out of its mounting hole/position.
  • Pull the starter out of the mounting hole and positioned it nose down so you can remove the two positive voltage cables from the large stud on the solenoid. Make sure the starter is stable/supported so it does not fall.
  • Installing the new starter was like they say, the reverse of removal.
The job was fairly easy and a pleasant surprize. Problem fixed.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Bolt Troubles

I'm in the process of replacing my starter (94 XJS 4.0), and I'm having one heck of a time removing the upper mount bolt.

Any tips?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Default Upper Bolt

Sorry you are having trouble. I used a breaker bar and a quality 13MM hex socket (Not a 12 point socket. I was afraid I might round the bolt head) to get it loose the first time. I put some antiseize on the bolt before replacing it so it would be an easier remove the next time.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Default Bolt Removal

I just thought of additional tips. When working with old Porsche 944s (Steel bolts threaded into aluminum), the best tip was to 'wake' the bolt before trying to remove it. This involves lightly tapping the bolt head with a hammer. I said light tapping. Do not hammer down on it. The shock of the taps can break loose the bolt threads from the receiving threads making the bolt easy to start and remove. Also, you can try PB Blaster. It works well.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 XJ6 Starter Problem

How do I get to that hidden bolt on the starter to replace it? Do I have do drop the transmission to get to it?